Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
So a new control unit is ~$25 shipped, and a new button panel is ~$15 new.
I've purchased the new button panel, then had the thought that the broken component may be fairly obvious if I pull the cover off the panel.

In the control unit, a 220uF capacitor was blown apart. I have a soldering iron, and a new capacitor that size is $0.50 at Jaycar, what's the worst that could happen? I could break it again?

Lets see how this goes
Polarised capacitor?

link1896

Mr Greenfield

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Isn't that how they get the pops and bangs out of an electric motor?
If you try hard enough, sure.

Long ago my old boss and mentor had the great idea Friday 6pm during beers to put a cap across 415vac.

Mallory cap, 2-3 litres in volume. 15,000uf 150vdc or some such.

Attached with crimped eyelets on the end of a 50m long 6mm squared orange circular three phase cable, one phase and neutral safe with BP connectors and taped back.

56series plug not locked into the socket, but cable did a 180 out the door to the carpark.

Cars all moved out of the car park.

The forces involved were not expected. The explosion was phenomenal. Burning electrolytic on the concrete, zero signs left of the cap beyond’s the terminals. The circular cable is taken into low level orbit, lands half on the roof of the meat storage refrigerated joint next door. Doesn’t pop the 40 amp breaker for that outlet, does pop a fuse out on a pole in the street, taking out a phase for a dozen buildings on a Friday evening. Ooops. Second time we’d popped a fuse on a pole.

Our ears were ringing for 5 minutes.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If you try hard enough, sure.

Long ago my old boss and mentor had the great idea Friday 6pm during beers to put a cap across 415vac.

Attached with crimped eyelets on the end of a 50m long 6mm squared orange circular three phase cable, one phase and neutral safe with BP connectors and taped back.

56series plug not locked into the socket, but cable did a 180 out the door to the carpark.

The forces involved were not expected. The explosion was phenomenal. Burning electrolytic on the concrete, zero signs left of the cap beyond’s the terminals. The circular cable is taken into low level orbit, lands half on the roof of the meat storage refrigerated joint next door. Doesn’t pop the 40 amp breaker for that outlet, does pop a fuse out on a pole in the street, taking out a phase for a dozen buildings on a Friday evening. Ooops. Second time we’d popped a fuse on a pole.

At uni a mate was doing a standard first year electrical experiment. 415V stuff. Took the entire Electrical Engineering building out. Was very loud and very dark.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
In news to hand. I went over to the mate of a mate of a mate of a girl next door and stole the trumpets. And put the thin filter units we had on instead.

They are a bit too long but I don't care. I will skim a latvian woffler's off the face but will still be about 5mm longer than recommended. It is a track toy so we will probably drop the filter most days anyway. And then I need to bore the guts out from 43mm to 48mm. So off to the lathe to roundy roundy some 10mm flat and then drill some M6 holes at 65mm centres and use that as a mounting jig in the lathe. Boring bar will take care of the excess. Done! Still waiting on the solid link for the actuator to throttles and will mount up the outboard bearing as well after milling the spacer block to size. Progress! Then I will extend the throttle actuator cables on the track car and nose it up to this motor and just confirm that it all works as planned.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Uni is good fun sometimes. I did a Chemistry major, so had a couple of explosions.... One was a waste bottle inside a fume hood in the organic chemistry labs. It had been getting all sorts of random shit dumped in it from assorted experiments, and one day it went bang. The woman who was standing in front of it got a lot of nasty chemical burns and some cuts and a trip to hospital, but she had safety glasses on and the fume hood screen down so kept her face. I was about 30m away at the other end of the lab and my ears didnt stop ringing for a couple of days...

Another fun one was taking a steel baking tray out to the carpark with a kilo of powdered aluminium on it. Placed a small chunk of pure sodium metal on the top and dropped some water onto it with a pipette. That made a large hole in the car park and you couldn't look directly at it while it was burning!!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Uni is good fun sometimes. I did a Chemistry major, so had a couple of explosions.... One was a waste bottle inside a fume hood in the organic chemistry labs. It had been getting all sorts of random shit dumped in it from assorted experiments, and one day it went back. The woman who was standing in front of it got a lot of nasty chemical burns and some cuts and a trip to hospital, but she had safety glasses on and the fume hood screen down so kept her face. I was about 30m away at the other end of the lab and my ears didnt stop ringing for a couple of days...

Another fun one was taking a steel baking tray out to the carpark with a kilo of powdered aluminium on it. Placed a small chunk of pure sodium metal on the top and dropped some water onto it with a pipette. That made a large hole in the car park and you couldn't look directly at it while it was burning!!
We still laugh about the time another mate set fire to the wind tunnel. And the cabinet outside the wind tunnel. And the wall. And the... You get the picture. Security cams caught the flames shooting out the vent up the side of the building. And then the white stuff to extinguish all the yellow stuff.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Got the pillow block bearing spacer milled and test fitted to the baseplate and then made up a jig for the trumpets. Started with a bit of old used 100x10 cut down to around 75 square. Drilled a 12mm diameter hole and put a bolt through with a long nut to hold in the lathe and turn the jig OD. Swapped the jaws and bored the centre to 40mm. From there into the mill and rotary table and drilled two 5mm holes on 65 pcd. Tapped to M6 and then bolted the trumpets on and back into the lathe. This was a bit hit and miss because I loaned my bore gauges to a mate and my verniers cannot measure that deep. So cut, remove the trumpet, measure, refit in the jig etc etc creeping up on the 48mm ID. Anyway reset the digital readout and then did all four. It was then beer o'clock and I will polish the insides tomorrow and deburr.

Then waiting for more parts to arrive.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I'm curious to hear the experiences you guys have had with getting a car on club reg in Vic.

I've been thinking of going to two cars for a while now. I currently have an 80 series landcruiser, but thinking a more modern daily driver and an old hilux on club reg could be better for moving the moto and the MTB around and the odd (few times a year) camping weekend.

Can anyone recommend a good club to join with this in mind? Anything to be aware of?

Cheers

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has tightened a lot in the last 18 months - gonna need a genuine roadworthy .
And VicRoads will likley wish to peruse the vehicle .
find an all makes club and go from there - but any weirdness will prob not pass muster .
Currently vehicles are being sent back for reinspection - particularly ratty, non standard whatsits

it is the end of the line for anything not boring , or white 1.2 l bog standard put you sleep cars .

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Rule of thumb is don’t exceed 80% kA rating of the circuit protection
shit goes BANG!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Link arrived so I got to finish the itbs this afternoon. Just waiting on the blank air cleaner backing plate.

I hand bolted the pillow block bearing in place and all was good, measure the gap and it was 16mm which was what I expected it to be. Milled the spacer to suit. bolted it in and the actuator bound up. Loosened off the bolts until the actuator spun freely and then measured the gap. 10 thousandths of an inch! So I made a shim out of some 0.3mm sheet. The trumpets are machined to the size of the backing plate and I will open up the itbs to suit.

Have to decide if I am going to run the xr4 at the next sprint. Time is tight to get the ac degassed and the heater/ac out of the car so maybe these go in over Christmas as previously planned.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I'm curious to hear the experiences you guys have had with getting a car on club reg in Vic.

I've been thinking of going to two cars for a while now. I currently have an 80 series landcruiser, but thinking a more modern daily driver and an old hilux on club reg could be better for moving the moto and the MTB around and the odd (few times a year) camping weekend.

Can anyone recommend a good club to join with this in mind? Anything to be aware of?

Cheers
And log book compliance is being tightly policed. A mates mate came off badly last year.

Go passed a fixed speed camera, the club plates are placed on a list, bored cops with nothing to do while ignoring property crime reports come and inspect your logbook, find it’s not been filled in for that day of usage and royally ream you.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
And log book compliance is being tightly policed. A mates mate came off badly last year.

Go passed a fixed speed camera, the club plates are placed on a list, bored cops with nothing to do while ignoring property crime reports come and inspect your logbook, find it’s not been filled in for that day of usage and royally ream you.
Tightened up here too though we have a bit more flexibility with 'tuning' drives.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Piggy backs trick the ecu into doing something that it wouldn't normally do. For example suggest that the air is cooler so it runs more fuel and at the same time says hey the boost is only 80% of what you think it is so give me some more air. Etc.

Depending who does what they can achieve modest gains but the more you ask for the higher the risk to the engine because manufacturer safe guards are being overridden or lied to. Having said that the BM boostmod and similar have been shown to be pretty effective.

A proper tune is in my opinion a good thing because not all engines are the same and the manufacturer goes for a safe tune for the worst engine so typically you can get decent results without pushing the boundaries too far.

Piggy backs are not for me but if your ecu hasn't been cracked then sometimes you have to take the chance. If it is $1,000 for claims of 10 or 20% gains in torque and horsepower it is probably bullshit. From several years of street sprints you can get better results from learning the car and how it behaves with different tyre pressures and balance than you will ever see from an extra 10 whorsies.

The I30N is a good thing. Pops and facts are a bit extreme in race mode but it goes fine for what it is. It will never be a drag car and even 100hp won't make it an 11 sec 400m car. Some bogan in a turbo barra will kill it off the line no matter what you do. Twisties are where it is at and that is its forte. I give away 2-3 seconds in the sprint to the first corner to M2s and M3s etc but finish comfortably 2-3 sec faster by the the flag.

Last edited:

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Link arrived so I got to finish the itbs this afternoon. Just waiting on the blank air cleaner backing plate.

I hand bolted the pillow block bearing in place and all was good, measure the gap and it was 16mm which was what I expected it to be. Milled the spacer to suit. bolted it in and the actuator bound up. Loosened off the bolts until the actuator spun freely and then measured the gap. 10 thousandths of an inch! So I made a shim out of some 0.3mm sheet. The trumpets are machined to the size of the backing plate and I will open up the itbs to suit.

Have to decide if I am going to run the xr4 at the next sprint. Time is tight to get the ac degassed and the heater/ac out of the car so maybe these go in over Christmas as previously planned.
Are you changing the primary load signal to the ecu to tps, or building a vacuum tree and tank?
Looks very neat, a much better solution than the old and unreliable M3 actuator which are very popular