Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Excellent video explaining the process. My mechanic also mentioned the use of a sneaky pete tool (sounds dirty) where you can do it without stripping the motor but success rate not high.

I'll prob just live with it whilst the leak is small, and address it when it starts to piss out. Could turn this into an engine build project with my son when he is a bit older.

Holden V8 Rear Main Seal Installation | COME Racing
hahaha! OMG - a rope seal!! Wow, thats.... umm.. retro...

Seriously though, how on earth was that a thing on a car made in the latter part of the century?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Seriously though, how on earth was that a thing on a car made in the latter part of the century?
Holden 304 was basically the same block as a 308 just with different heads.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Is that a good thing? Sorry, not up to speed on american stuff...
Australian(ish) stuff. And no, not really. GM Holden just didn't invest to retool the block casting once the 304's (and EFI) came along in the 90's. The blocks were solid enough for their low-compression, low RPM duties. Rear mains had been weeping since the early Kingswoods, but tended to just weep rather than fail catastrophically and most people just ignored it.

Haakon

Australian(ish) stuff. And no, not really. GM Holden just didn't invest to retool the block casting once the 304's (and EFI) came along in the 90's. The blocks were solid enough for their low-compression, low RPM duties. Rear mains had been weeping since the early Kingswoods, but tended to just weep rather than fail catastrophically and most people just ignored it.
Rope seals I didn't think were used by anyone this side of the 1950s! Most recent example I knew of was Series 3 Land Rover, and even then it wasnt actually a rope seal! Was it one on the red motor? I dont remember that, although it was 25 years I rebuilt one...

But isn't it a Chevrolet engine? Or is a localised version I'm guessing?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Excellent video explaining the process. My mechanic also mentioned the use of a sneaky pete tool (sounds dirty) where you can do it without stripping the motor but success rate not high.

I'll prob just live with it whilst the leak is small, and address it when it starts to piss out. Could turn this into an engine build project with my son when he is a bit older.

Holden V8 Rear Main Seal Installation | COME Racing
You can do them in the car but a real PITA, you got to use the preformed rope seals and undo the main caps enough to pull the crank down. Rope seals don't like high revs all the time and sitting around, they all end up leaking, after a while they piss out.

Haakon

Looking at that video it might be possible to machine out the area to accept a proper seal? Anyone tried that I wonder?

edit - no, crankshaft is weird... Counterweight on the back? Thats some pretty whacky engineering going on there, not sure any holden fan gets to comment on my Frenchies!!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Rope seals I didn't think were used by anyone this side of the 1950s! Most recent example I knew of was Series 3 Land Rover, and even then it wasnt actually a rope seal! Was it one on the red motor? I dont remember that, although it was 25 years I rebuilt one...

But isn't it a Chevrolet engine? Or is a localised version I'm guessing?
VN~VP v6 were rope seals, maybe some of the early VRs then they went to the rear engine plate that leaked coolant from the gasket.

Haakon

1669853494214.png

Cant retrofit this? This is the sort of thing the Land Rover uses - rope seal arrangement but 20th century seal tech. Sort of....

This you'd get in without pulling the engine out. Might have to loosen off all the mains to let the crank drop down a smidge?

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
View attachment 394883
Cant retrofit this? This is the sort of thing the Land Rover uses - rope seal arrangement but 20th century seal tech. Sort of....

This you'd get in without pulling the engine out. Might have to loosen off all the mains to let the crack drop down a smidge?
You've got to machine the knurling off the crank for the rope seal lubrication, there are conversion kits for old V8 fords like this.

MasterOfReality

After forever
You can do them in the car but a real PITA, you got to use the preformed rope seals and undo the main caps enough to pull the crank down. Rope seals don't like high revs all the time and sitting around, they all end up leaking, after a while they piss out.
Yeh mine sat for 10 years.

My mech was saying on high mileage cars the seal can even wear a slight groove in the crank over time.

MasterOfReality

After forever

Apparently the rope seals are preferred to the neoprene ones for this motor.

I don't think the fundamentals of the 304 had changed since the 253/308 was introduced. Heads and EFI pretty much, and slightly de-stroked for Group A rules (as @Flow-Rider mentioned).

Haakon

Im starting to better understand why Chevrolet made such a song and dance about the alloy LS series having modern sealing systems!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

Haakon

I had always assumed it was an adapted Chevrolet design. There you go.

A clean sheet design and they still went with a rope seal...?

Haakon

A good friend of mine in Canberra. He has been polite enough to put up with my euro phile quirks :)