Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

udi

swiss cheese
Thought I'd pop in here for some advice... missing a bunch of organs and no DH for a while, so figured it might be time to break the piggy.

Looking at S15s, fairly keen on an 02 R-GT if I can find a nice one in brisbane.

I'm wondering if anyone has much experience with the 15's, and have any hints on what I should look / look out for, and also what I should have checked out professionally before handing over my cash.

This is what I had on my list:
- RWC if not done already (should I check if it's recent?)
- REVS check
- RACQ inspection (do I need a seperate mechanic inspection as well?)
- Compression test? (can I get RACQ to do this, or need someone else?)

Also, any suggestions on what I should inspect / test specifically when I go to check out the cars? I have a rough idea, but a solid list wouldn't hurt to have, I'm guessing some of you guys are more experienced than I. It'd be ideal if I could pick the best car on my own and leave the mechanical checks just as a confirmation for whatever I finally decide on.

Appreciate any advice. Happy to spend a little extra cash to avoid being burnt.

Last edited:

colourclassic

Likes Dirt
My mate just recently bought an 01' Spec S, and i've spend some time being flung around in it.

When he bought it (from a dealer) he had a full comprehensive engine test (comp, head gasket, firing etc). The car had nearly 280,000ks, but still had good compression, proving how tough an SR can be. Apparently the transmission in the S15 can be a bit finicky, so check that out. Otherwise, a great little car. He got his for just over 15 grand.

Defs get a proper vehicle inspection before buying; just about any sports car will have copped a thrashing at some point in its life.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Thought I'd pop in here for some advice... missing a bunch of organs and no DH for a while, so figured it might be time to break the piggy.

Looking at S15s, fairly keen on an 02 R-GT if I can find a nice one in brisbane.

I'm wondering if anyone has much experience with the 15's, and have any hints on what I should look / look out for, and also what I should have checked out professionally before handing over my cash.

This is what I had on my list:
- RWC if not done already (should I check if it's recent?)
- REVS check
- RACQ inspection (do I need a seperate mechanic inspection as well?)
- Compression test? (can I get RACQ to do this, or need someone else?)

Also, any suggestions on what I should inspect / test specifically when I go to check out the cars? I have a rough idea, but a solid list wouldn't hurt to have, I'm guessing some of you guys are more experienced than I. It'd be ideal if I could pick the best car on my own and leave the mechanical checks just as a confirmation for whatever I finally decide on.

Appreciate any advice. Happy to spend a little extra cash to avoid being burnt.

RACQ should do a compression test as part of their inspection, I just had a car inspected by them and got test results on the report.

Good luck with the hunting. S15's are one of my favourite cars.

juzzo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The car had nearly 280,000ks,
thats a bullshit amount of k's. I hope he got it bloody cheap. I dont care what the tests proved I'd never buy a just over 10years old with that amount of K's on it. It's not just the engine you have to worry about when your talking a high amount of K's.

floody

Wheel size expert
thats a bullshit amount of k's. I hope he got it bloody cheap. I dont care what the tests proved I'd never buy a just over 10years old with that amount of K's on it. It's not just the engine you have to worry about when your talking a high amount of K's.

We had a tight-as-a-drum Hiace SBV which had covered 330,000kms in 3 years from new. It was in far better nick than many low km examples we looked at; its 330000kms were not stop start or often heavily loaded, with ample time to warm up and cool down and significant amounts of easy 110kmh freeway cruising. Not to mention that since it was doing 9-10,000kms a month it was receiving monthly oil and filter changes, all scheduled major service items, regular swaps of consumables like brake pads and rotors etc.

In short, condition and kms don't always agree.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
We had a tight-as-a-drum Hiace SBV which had covered 330,000kms in 3 years from new. It was in far better nick than many low km examples we looked at; its 330000kms were not stop start or often heavily loaded, with ample time to warm up and cool down and significant amounts of easy 110kmh freeway cruising. Not to mention that since it was doing 9-10,000kms a month it was receiving monthly oil and filter changes, all scheduled major service items, regular swaps of consumables like brake pads and rotors etc.

In short, condition and kms don't always agree.

and the can of worms is open.

cant rember, the thread, may have been this one, but im pretty sure we have been down this track before..

id prefer a high km, newish car, than a low km, old car.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
watercooled is shitouse and half the clowns on there are moderators and moderate the shit out of anyone who's not their mate.

They tried to ban general chat for farks sake!

Futile

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yew!

And the money starts rolling in with a new job.

Opinions on a project car for under $1000?

smiff123

Likes Dirt
Just been looking at that doesnt look too bad.
Im pretty keen on the golf. Something a little different to the millions of ke's.

^.Thats him there.^
Yew!

And the money starts rolling in with a new job.

Opinions on a project car for under $1000?
Ke70 or another Ke rolla maybe?
Made me laugh reading: money is rolling in... project cor for under 1000? haha.
Another car you could look for is a Mini some of them go pretty cheap I would really like to see more people getting around in subaru brumbys they are a weapon.
What do people think of the subaru L series? My mate just got one and I recon it goes ok.

Bud Weiser

Likes Dirt
speak to water boy on this forum, he is super keen on golfs!!! he knows all.

wabbits Mk1 is even better in the flesh, super low and clean.

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
watercooled is shitouse and half the clowns on there are moderators and moderate the shit out of anyone who's not their mate.

They tried to ban general chat for farks sake!
MkV owner... I do agree there has been some over moderation but defs some of the best people iv meet...

fairy1

Banned
We had a Mk1 Golf that was perfectly straight but some cock wad in his Missus Suzuki slammed it in the rear and wrote it off, Great car but they have very limited suspension travel.

smiff123

Likes Dirt
Sweet as guys.
Only problem is i will look like a dick next to my dad in his brand spankerz gti.
Haha oh well like father like son. I will just have to make this one look better than his.