Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
I freakin love it. Here's a shot of one I took at a motorshow last year. It did pretty well on the dyno that day too.

When I had this car as my desktop wallpaper at work, there were constant droolers standing behind me all day.
is it a genuine z/28? What was the dyno output? and which engine? It is beautiful. Simply put. And that is a monster cowl on the front. mine won't be in anywhere near that nice condition. It was purchased as a driveable project. It is structurally sound, transmission, engine, suspension etc are all near perfect, but it does need a restoration. I want to do as much work as I can myself and basically use the vehicle as my daily driver when it isn't being torn apart then put back together then torn apart again.

Must. Not. Buy. Car. Before. Moving. Overseas... Argh!
It may work out cheaper to buy overseas then import back. If you are chasing US muscle it certainly is.

Camaro is one of my dream cars as well, nice work.

Good to see something other than riceburners being posted up as well:p
Burn rubber, go like hell in a straight line and corners be damned!

Wow!!!! Amazing cars right there, if only I could have one and afford the petrol

I rate this one too
I'm liking the power output, and definately the driver staring at the sky. But beneath the body, there is no camaro left.

Last edited:

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
True, true....I'm with you there but it still lokos like one and does wheelies so it counts as something
That certainly does count as something. Still, I like seeing cars drag that share some DNA with their original selves. One of the coolest drag events I've seen had two drag stips and required that the cars be legally driven from one to the other between days. So you could take out seats and put them back in, do all kinds of stuff like that, but your car did have to basically be street legal. The fun came from seeing cars drag that you could potentially build and drive as more than a 3 second rocket.

but, you can't go past hoisting a set of rubber band tires into the air while you are watching the clouds pass above.

fairy1

Banned
Does anybody know any good or bad bits about Mitsubishi Legnums? It will fit a bike in the back but I am a bit suss on Mitsu for reliability.

Octane_Matty

Likes Dirt
G'day guys....may aswell put in my bit

first car was a bmw e36 318is auto, corners like crazy but slow as shit. Love it for a cruiser on the highways and going down mountains.

Ended up getting bored of the GM auto transmission so 2 months ago bought a E36 328i 5spd Manual dropped 2" on bilsteins.
So far its been more trouble than its worth but a bit of love and care, few basic mods and ill be nearly keeping up with an M3 of its age.

I put alot of thought into my first car and couldnt miss the options provided by an oldish bmw...as much as its impractical, i just fell in love with the handling and feel.

BTW...any guys in vic going to skylines aus deca in november?

hubbie

Forever 1,337
need some advice. looking for wheels for the bommadore. wanting 19" all black. was looking at designs like drift teks but can't find anything i like. Photoshopped this to show the sorta look i'm keen on, but not quite as low.

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
Not exactly sure on prices but Volk and Racing Hart do some nice ones similar to that.

The TE37 frmo Volk is nice, Racing Hart Fangio, Racing Hart RT5, Racing Hart Type C and Type F???

Again not sure on prices but those are the brands that came to find, so there's some food for thought

$h0rty

Likes Dirt
Does anybody know any good or bad bits about Mitsubishi Legnums? It will fit a bike in the back but I am a bit suss on Mitsu for reliability.
I was looking into one as a possibility for my next car. I think the biggest concern was finding someone who knows the somewhat complex 2.5 TT inside out. Parts availability locally might be problem also, but nothing you couldn't track down on the net I guess. From what I've read it seems some people have problem after problem with them but others have years of trouble-free enjoyment (same with any car I guess). Autos are more common, manuals command a higher price. As with most imports service history is probably dubious at best.

Not much info but what I found in 1/2 hour of searching a few months ago, Pretty sure they have their own Aus forums for these, can't remember what it is though.

Cheers,
Andrew.

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hubbie if you do that to your wagon you will be in my top 10 commodores. Getting away from the norm and doing something different is cool and your sir will acheive that. Win in every area :D

tim3638

Smith of hammers curious
Hi all
I am looking at getting a new car. I have narrowed it down to a Subaru Liberty GT or a 3.0R spec B (both in the wagon variety) around a 2005. Does anyone have any opinions on these cars? The car will end up becoming a little project. A mate has also told me to be very careful on the service history on these cars and that they like their oil changed on time.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Hi all
I am looking at getting a new car. I have narrowed it down to a Subaru Liberty GT or a 3.0R spec B (both in the wagon variety) around a 2005. Does anyone have any opinions on these cars? The car will end up becoming a little project. A mate has also told me to be very careful on the service history on these cars and that they like their oil changed on time.

depends on how much of a project.

pretty similar cars, apart from the engine.

the 3.0r is more known to be your "gentlemans" sporty lib. still has kick in teh guts power, but its just not a turbo (this is all from reading internet, never actualy been in a 3.0r specb).

To get much more power out of it, past the extents of a new exhaust, the air intake already flows as good as you'll get it. so your kind of limited with out putting in big bucks on the engine.

Compared to the GT. very easy to upgrade exhaust, and intake, and get your self an easy 30kwatw. up size the turbo etc etc.

basicaly, as im sure you know, if you start with a turbo'd car, its always going to be easier to put a bigger turbo on, and make bigger power.

over not starting without a turbo..... but ey, its been done a few times in australia, the the owners have apparntly been more then happy! but $$$

try, ozliberty.com, rslibertyclub.org.au, and even rexnet.com.au for some more opinions, theres plenty on there to give you a few days of reading!

spose the best i can say, woudl be get out there, and test drive. for all you know, youll like the constant delivery of big power from the 3.0r.

$h0rty

Likes Dirt
Hi all

Depends on your budget and what you want out of the car, its a tough choice.
Talking about the early gen4's (year you mentioned), biggest differences:

3.0 got the awesome 6sp, GT only got the 5sp.
3.0 got 18's, GT got 17's.
3.0r Spec-B got Bilsteins, no option for these on the GT.

150kwatw is about as far as you'll get with a manual 3.0 (Tune, exhaust, CAI etc), stock is around 120-130atw. Auto is lower.

Mods for the GT are more common and being turbo the gains of modifying are far greater.

My old man has an '05 3.0RB, when they came out he test drove both, ordered a GT but then changed his order to a 3.0. Loved the sound + 18's + 6sp.

With the facelift in '07 Subaru introduced the GT Spec-B, which came with 6sp, 18's, Bilsteins but these are a bit more expensive then the pre-facelift models.

Test drive both & see which you prefer, Insurance on the 3.0 is significantly cheaper (well it was for me when I was getting quotes), something to consider.

Some of the early 3.0L had issues with massive oil usage but Subaru rectified these under warranty from what I've read.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
5sp is still good. My old man owned an MY05 Lib GT wagon and it rocked. Personal preference, but I really liked the 17s. The only thing I will say, though, is that I hope you're not intending on taking adult passengers in the rear seats! The wagons have a massive boot which is awesome, but as a result there is shit all rear legroom.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
need some advice. looking for wheels for the bommadore. wanting 19" all black. was looking at designs like drift teks but can't find anything i like. Photoshopped this to show the sorta look i'm keen on, but not quite as low.

that will look sick as! strange thing is , that my mate has BMX666 as his number plate!