Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
You can either get a chrome finish done on alloys, or a there are chrome bars around made for cruisers.

There'd have to be some common way of doing chrome old style bars for a classic bike, surely? Even if it's steel bars and send them to chroming.

Sounds rad.

Oh and clockworked - Those little 250's can go great. Geared down especially - though highway work needs to be taken into account with the gearing. We did pipe/susp/gearing on a DR250 and it was a top bike - did everything and totally bulletproof. TTR250 is pretty similar.

dh damo

Likes Dirt
My forry is on its way to looking good. :)

forry repping yo.

King springs and BMC superflow air filter.

Last edited:

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My forry is on its way to looking good. :)
Done well damo mate, looks the goods!
How long did it take you to do the springs?

I'm currently looking for a project car, rwd, manual, ability to be quickish (either quick or just strip it to buggery) and handles.
Hoping to start with a rwc base to drive around as i have no car and 1 would be handy, and just keep going until it's forced off the roads, then can become a track car.
Budget about 2-5 depending on where it sits in the scheme of things.
Ideas have included:
-keto's
-corona's
-silvia's
-r31 and r32's
-gazelle's
-sprinters
-oldschool soarers

Anything i'm missing, anyone got anything for me??

GOD12A

Likes Dirt
-keto's - Huh?!?!
-corona's - Heavy, lack of aftermarket bits
-silvia's - Might as well build a white commodore
-r31 and r32's - Again, white commodore
-gazelle's - Getting old now, lack of aftermarket
-sprinters - My pick from this list
-oldschool soarers - Heavy, although stupidly easy to drop in 1JZ. not made to go fast though

If you want a fast car to build, start with something that has the right steering/suspension geometry and the right "breeding"...

Mazda FC (ser4/5) RX7 springs to mind. 50/50 weight split, big brakes factory, rotor motor tunable to stupid amounts and aftermarket parts out the wazoo.
Commodores also work, but unless you wanna be another commodore owner, try something a little more fun.

I can keep going but this isnt the subject of the thread!!

Mark :)

Last edited:

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
KE70 Corolla?

TA22 Celica?

Pretty sure both have the ability of a 4A-GE engine swap, not sure on much else, both in your price range?

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
I'm currently looking for a project car, rwd, manual, ability to be quickish (either quick or just strip it to buggery) and handles.

Ideas have included:
-keto's Is that a KE70 you're talking about? Old, much better bases to start from.

-corona's - Are you serious?

-silvia's - Good, cheap, everything is available aftermarket + bolt in. Really fun to drive, good feel + control. Everyone will think you're a tool when you drive it on the road. Easy to build yourself.

-r31 and r32's. Same comment as above. Really good value + potential... Except for the R31 part. More character than the 32, but less bolt in gear and an older generation. Rear suspension camber issues in the 31. Must get the right front struts for bolt on big brakes. Aussie R31 is harder again, I built a couple, and you're always behind the S13/R32 with the chassis. That generation change was huge.

-gazelle's - Yeah but that's just stupid with the price of S13 shells.

-sprinters - Yes but overpriced and very old. Usually low HP.

-oldschool soarers - No, just not the right 'breeding' as you mentioned.

Add an old BMW to the list.

It's very hard to beat the 90's Nissans as a cheap, easily modified, fun to drive hard, decent handling platform with lots of potential, that can be taken in any direction you choose. Drift, drag, track, hillclimb, road rally, street/mountain car.

If you don't care what people think when you rock up to their house, S13/R32 are the best options on that list.

Oh, and just strapping a decent sized turbo onto something can really make it a shitty car. Older style car with no roll cage or chassis bracing + powerful modern turbo setup can be... less than ideal. Can be fantastic too, but on paper increase does not always mean real enjoyment.

Ah shit I replied in the quote. Figure it out.

skivi

Likes Dirt
hey bowzaa how about an old Austin Healey Sprite or similar?

most fairly good nick (non trialer queen, all original) examples of the MK1 & Mk2 go for about $5,000 much cheaper for someone unfinished hillclimb/sprint/autocross project. they weigh about 700KG and even with the stock 1000cc motor their quite swift litter jitters... plus they don't look half bad either. also don't disregard Leyland and Morris mini's, ugly and sorry FWD but their way cheaper then the Coopers and there's lots of potential in them providing your keen. i guess i'm pointing out these old bangers for a few reasons a) their simple b) their light and c) they handle. parts could be a problem but if you just grab what you can from modern cars it's a win win.

considering the current economic climate now is the perfect time to pick up someone's project on the cheap, often their the first things to go as family's tighten their belts (getting sick of that analogy kev).

Last edited:

skivi

Likes Dirt
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=163507

After I get myself sorted with racing my bikes me and one of my mates will hopefully be racing his dads A10 outfit that his dad and my dad used to race on.
rad as!

hey when we have our bikes going would you be interested in doing a track day at Phillip Island or Broadford? i don't really know what's required of the rider or bike to participate (care to shed some light NCR?) but everyone i've ever spoken to about them can't speak of track days highly enough when it comes to progressing as a rider.

i've got a lead on another Honda H100 in Bacchus Marsh. spoke to the bloke the other night on the phone it's a H100S with a mountain of spares and he's only looking for a few hundred $. apparently it's running sweet so i might go check it out next weekend. if it's tidy i'll get that one on the road and leave my non runner for later on/spares.

looks like the garage could get quite congested....

NCR600

Likes Dirt

Might be getting some of these for the racebike. Only $230 US, which is abut 1/4 the price of the Genuine Brembo ones that I bought years ago and went out of production shortly thereafter. I've got no idea where they're made (probably India or China) but Roy Thersby's put his name to them, which is a pretty big endorsement.

hey when we have our bikes going would you be interested in doing a track day at Phillip Island or Broadford? i don't really know what's required of the rider or bike to participate (care to shed some light NCR?) but everyone i've ever spoken to about them can't speak of track days highly enough when it comes to progressing as a rider.
Really you dont have to do much to your bike to prep for a track day. Depending on who it's run by, they might want you to tape up the lights and make sure it's in good working order.

It's a good idea though to remove anything easily breakable and you don't need to ride the bike, so pissing off the lights and indicators and some cheapo fibreglass bodywork is good peace of mind. It's also polite to wire up anything with oil under or over it (Sump and oil filler plugs) and tape up any brake fluid reservoirs and fork drain plugs. If you turn up with that stuff done the scrutineers give you a much easier ride.

Track days can be a mixed bag too. There's a lot of idiots that think they can ride fast on fast modern bikes that will hold you up in the corners, and then blast away from you on the straights. Passing on the inside is generally banned, so it leaves those on smaller bikes up the creek a bit. Once you're confident, going out in the faster groups is a good thing, because those blokes generally are fast everywhere and won't hold you up in the corners anymore and makes it a much better learning expereience.

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Done projects for the previous 2 summers before this one, but i can't start one this time until i sell last years race bike.
heres my project from the start of last year:
before:

and this is it now :)

and here is my project from the year before, don't really have any before photos:
Just flicking through the posts and saw your bike, looks very nice indeed ;)

Hmmm Jono Wade from Colac...

Wadey's moto's yeah?

mlsred

Likes Dirt
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=163507

rad as!

i've got a lead on another Honda H100 in Bacchus Marsh. spoke to the bloke the other night on the phone it's a H100S with a mountain of spares and he's only looking for a few hundred $. apparently it's running sweet so i might go check it out next weekend. if it's tidy i'll get that one on the road and leave my non runner for later on/spares.

looks like the garage could get quite congested....
I'm there! il see if I can convince my other mate to get his golden oldy out for a day.

is the H100 going to be a bucket racer? also what year is it?

trust me there is never not enough room for another bike, I think at the moment me and dad have 11 in about a 2 car garage plus spares and work benches etc. And believe it or not i'm buying three more bikes, spoke to someone about spares and they said you can have all my bikes and spares for X amount of dollars, the deal is to good to pass up. 2 strokes should come with warning stickers on them saying "don't turn you back on me or i'l breed like crazy when your not looking"

skivi

Likes Dirt
is the H100 going to be a bucket racer? also what year is it?
the one i have now is all original and it'll stay that way, the one i want to have a look at was purchased by the current owner as an all original low km bike (9K) and the road going gear was taken off then it got a fresh top end rebuild and the front end from a later model honda that has a disk brake. my H100 is from '82 and the H100S 's (like the one this bloke is selling) were manufactured from 86 to 89 i believe. it was build as a bucket for his wife, she competed in inter-club races half a dozen times then gave up and the bike and all the spares have been sitting in the shed since says the man.

the bike still has the vin, supposedly clear history, no frame modifications and all the original parts plus others. i'll be putting it on the road if i get it.

believe it or not i'm buying three more bikes, spoke to someone about spares and they said you can have all my bikes and spares for X amount of dollars, the deal is to good to pass up.
i'm in the same boat :D
if this bike is running as good as the seller says it is it's a steal especially considering all the spares it comes with. i'll be having a good look at it with my dad and my uncle who's been riding most of his life and does all the maintenance on his bike, i'll get him to ride it and give me a second opinion.

the H100's are no weapon but at 80KG their a real feather weight which suits my roadie build. stock they make about 9 to 10HP but i know of one bucket with no modifications other then a custom made expansion chamber that makes a reliable 16HP.

mlsred

Likes Dirt
the one i have now is all original and it'll stay that way, the one i want to have a look at was purchased by the current owner as an all original low km bike (9K) and the road going gear was taken off then it got a fresh top end rebuild and the front end from a later model honda that has a disk brake. my H100 is from '82 and the H100S 's (like the one this bloke is selling) were manufactured from 86 to 89 i believe. it was build as a bucket for his wife, she competed in inter-club races half a dozen times then gave up and the bike and all the spares have been sitting in the shed since says the man.

the bike still has the vin, supposedly clear history, no frame modifications and all the original parts plus others. i'll be putting it on the road if i get it.

i'm in the same boat :D
if this bike is running as good as the seller says it is it's a steal especially considering all the spares it comes with. i'll be having a good look at it with my dad and my uncle who's been riding most of his life and does all the maintenance on his bike, i'll get him to ride it and give me a second opinion.

the H100's are no weapon but at 80KG their a real feather weight which suits my roadie build. stock they make about 9 to 10HP but i know of one bucket with no modifications other then a custom made expansion chamber that makes a reliable 16HP.
16hp isn't to shabby coming out of an 80kg bike thats mostly stock.

just out of interest skivi how old are you?

i've got a few 60's "custom" expansion chambers, not the best engineering feat in the world but it's a learning curve I suppose

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Done well damo mate, looks the goods!
How long did it take you to do the springs?

Hoping to start with a rwc base to drive around as i have no car and 1 would be handy, and just keep going until it's forced off the roads, then can become a track car.
Ideas have included:
-keto's
-corona's
-silvia's
-r31 and r32's
-gazelle's
-sprinters
-oldschool soarers

vll commoooo broooooooo ... quick, easy to mod, cheap to mod (ish), space in side for shit, can be very fast... to bad on the handling states.. ooo and the image that comes with a Vl turbo..

skivi

Likes Dirt
16hp isn't to shabby coming out of an 80kg bike thats mostly stock.

just out of interest skivi how old are you?

i've got a few 60's "custom" expansion chambers, not the best engineering feat in the world but it's a learning curve I suppose
i'm only 20 mate.

you can't just throw on any old expansion chamber, well you can but if you want to have a say in the kind of power the bike makes and when (top end, midrange etc) the pipe needs to be made to suit several factors.

the back-pressure created by gasses leaving the exhaust port play a pivotal role in 2-bangers. for optimum power die hard bucketteers map the engine and the using special programs find exactly what the exhaust gas needs to be doing where so the whole exhaust is purpose built from the exhaust port to the tip of the stinger.

the fastest H100 buckets are making approx 25HP but from what i'm told by the builders they require constant maintenance and must be ridden with one finger on the clutch at al times as seizures are common, mainly because they still run standard bore & bottom ends but with a big carb, weight reduction everywhere possible and wild porting. you can also shove in the Cr80 close-ratio 6 speed gearbox internals into the H100 5 speed cases as well as the Cr clutch but now we're getting serious. i'll be happy just to have a bike on the road that goes and stops.

ps: anyone after a $1,300 TZR250 streetfighter/cafe racer project? link

skivi

Likes Dirt
oh-oh's cheap H100 ex bucket road registered! link

i'm being tempted left right and centre! i bought a clutch off this guy he was super nice. should see the Frankenstein race bikes he has in the shed.

mlsred

Likes Dirt
hmmmm H100 bucket racing looks like it should be a bit of fun, later on down the track though I already have way to many projects on the go. Seeings as were talking about little racing bikes I managed to get a hold of a wildly ported BSA bantam barrel and a massive high compression head, i'm gonna have to put it on my bantam mini bike when I get it going one day, that projects something I wanted to do for a long time, chopped and shortened bantam frame (don't panic frame was beyond repair in the place I cut and shortened it) thumpstar wheels hydralic disc brakes etc etc.

Im still a bit confused skivi so are you going to have one as a track bike and one as a road bike or two road bikes (excuse the ignorance)

Also if anyone has picked up the latest old bike Australia our mate Doug Fraser (empire twin builder) has yet another featured bike, the triumph bandit the 350 twin that never was, it only ever got to prototypes and thats what Doug has. Unfortunately he would never tell us how much he paid for it his response was always "enough" or "how ever much I thought it was worth at the time"