Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
P-plate children - 2 NA S13s on NS.com right now. $3,500 and $6,500. FIGHT!
Guy i know bought a manual s13 with rego for 1k last week, sold it this week for 4k. They are out there!

Latest picture of my car.
Have already come to the conclusion 10/8kg with firm dampening is death waiting to happen on the streets. Nearly put it into an embankment round a corner when I didn't see a small bump and the car got it's hop on. Will use them for Winton this weekend then revert it to 8/6kg and see how that goes.

For all the kids wanting to do a cool engine conversion, here we go; 2jz with Nos! (Nas..)

:p

Last edited:

Drew.

Eats Squid
Yeah 1st thing that came to mind too. They where dope in grade 7, but now...ehh, not so much.

Each to their own but!

dh damo

Likes Dirt
Not neons i had one of them light up swords in the car so we put it under my car and i think it looks alright, but i would have real neons under my car.

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No need to post negative remarks, if you don't like it thats cool but no need to just comment solely for the purpose of paying out on something someone has done.

[edit] found it!

Last edited:

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Hey guys

I'm looking to get my motorbike license before the new rules kick in next year... I'm looking on ebay for any bargains that pop up that are decent learners/LAMS approved bikes. Any suggestions? I'm really just looking at naked bikes, as I've been discouraged to purchase a fairing bike as my first bike for several reasons (insurance, cheaper to purchase, I will drop it etc.). My budget is very small, i.e. < $2,000, at most. Preferably looking for a bargain up to or around $1,000. I'd love something that needs a little bit of TLC, especially in terms of paintwork, little things missing etc. I'd prefer to have something that's pretty good mechanically though.So far I've been looking at Honda Spada's (VT250's) and VTR250's, as they have been recommended time and time again as unbeatable learners bikes. Although, I've recently been told that the earlier model VTR's weren't all that reliable. Not sure of details here, but it came from a pretty reliable source (Head contractor / mechanic for Australia Post in Newcastle - The whole family is bike mad)

I wouldn't mind getting more opinions though.
What else? Comments? Got something to sell me? :)
Just reposting after all the F&F talk :p

skivi

Likes Dirt
*SNIP* I'm looking to get my motorbike license rahrahrah *SNIP*
Spadas share the same motor as the VTR. a VTR will hold it's value better due to the more modern shape and wont carry the stigma of age and grey history like most spadas though you wont get either for sub $2K in running order.
i wouldnt recomend buying your first bike off eBay, i'd never bid more then a few grand on something i hadn't had a good hard look at in person.

1) go to dealers and test ride a few new L approved bikes to get a feel for what you do and don't want in a bike, try everything you can.
2) get a bike savy friend and go through the trading post/bikesales.come etc looking for desired model
3) come inspection have said bike savy friend for a second opinion and test ride, also if you can afford it get a professional pre purchase inspection.

when considering a bike needs vs wants need to be brought into the open, in the end i decided to get a shitter because i'd rather get all my mistakes out of the way early so my wallet is left healthy for something biggger and better one day. smart move to avoid bikes with fairings. for $2,000 some LAMS approved mid size naked sports/general commuter bikes from the 80's pop up regularly in good condition, they just don't have looks or desirability. Gumtree is another good site to check.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Cheers mate

I have a bike savvy friend that I'm sure would be willing to help out by way of inspecting etc. - He's the one that recommended the VT250 / VTR250 originally.

I'll keep my eye open. Any other models that have proven themselves to be good starter/LAMS bikes?

skivi

Likes Dirt
good bike classifieds:

www.gumtree.com.au
www.allclassifieds.com.au
www.digiads.com.au
www.bikesales.com.au
www.tradingpost.com.au

at the moment on the The Classic & Enthusiasts Motor Cycle Club of NSW website www.cemcc.org.au (see classifieds) there's a 1989 Suzuki GN250 up for $1,000 with claimed $3K+ in receipts on the refurbishment. their pretty bullet proof bikes and can happily cruise or commute all day every day, their just ugly, if you don't mind ugly i'd be on the look out for deals like that. also try other 80's models like the Kawasaki Z250 (cheap and plentiful but by no means thrilling), the Honda CX500 is another bomproof eyesore or maybe a well looked after 250cc endure from the mid 90's will do you well. it really depends on what you need from the bike and what your comfortable riding.

ok i have a day off work so time to put the new carb on the Honda and see if she wakes up.

GOD12A

Likes Dirt
a shop owner isnt always the shop worker... he wants his workers to work well, he expects they do, and im sure most check over the work at the end, but things get missed when the dodgy bong head 15 year old year 9 drop out mechanic gets told to do something.
SAWTELL!!
I agree man, i should have made it more clear. im talkin $2500 custom exhaust systems that are resting on diffs, $500 custom stainless steel hard brake lines bent wrong, custom offset Simmons wheels that dont clear inner guards etc etc Big stuff!! The small stuff doesnt bother me, people make mistakes, it happens. Im all for sorting it out, but it rarely works. More so on the bigger $$$ jobs...

MAD MIKE :)
You can do an automotive engineering degree in Oz (Melb only for the last year i think). I chose Italy coz i have Italian citizenship. Its a 3yr (compared to 4yr in Oz) European degree course (not a cereal box degree) AND over their as a citizen itll cost me under $5kAUD for the ENTIRE 3yr course (compared to $30kAUD+ in Oz). Being wog aint so bad, PLUS the North Italian girls are hawt as hell and ill be in the Alps (big ass mountains for boarding and biking!!) GAME ON ;)

Mark :)

fairy1

Banned
Hello again God,

So you know stuff about roll centres and how to change/adjust them?

I found a book on chassis design and suspension written by an SAE member but from memory it was $100 USD, would someone slightly brighter than a simpleton be able to get their head around a book like this.

I was looking at converting the mini to a four bar rear but I have read all the damper mounts have to be moved really high to make it handle, so it looks like I am stuck with trailing arm suspension.

Looking at this book-http://www.amazon.com/Race-Car-Vehicle-Dynamics-R146/dp/1560915269/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Question.. in terms of air intakes, does bigger effectively equal better? At least in terms of surface area?

My car has an intake trumpet from the airbox which draws air from the tiniest gap between bumper and bonnet (below the level of headlights), just in front of the radiator. However, the trumpet slims down to an intake area of about 1 x 5 inches, effectively rendering useless (for induction purposes, anyway) another nice, bigger gap just above the aforementioned intake slit. I was thinking, would it be wise/potentially beneficial (even just slightly) to cut a hole in the trumpet to increase flow of (cold) air whilst driving? Have high flow filter already, too, so don't suggest that as an alternative :p The temptation for a full new induction kit / pod filter etc was high, but I'm currently broke, and with such a little engine bay I'd have to have forked out for a closed system or a custom airbox to shield the filter from heat...

(not my car)

(not my engine)

In the second picture you can see the trumpet I am talking about just in between the headlight (our right) and the bonnet latch. As you can see, it draws not from the nice big gap (see pic 1 - in line with the Pug symbol), but rather from the shitty little space below the level of the headlights/just above the bumper.

Last edited:

Mr Sheen

Likes Dirt
In theory , yes.You want the best flow possible before the throttle body. But it will only make a improvement if it is the most restrictive part of the system.

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bought a 350mm momo today, and got given an exhaust for free which was nice. 2.5in straight through to a "sports" muffler of some description, should go alright.
Recaro on thursday so my head won't hit the roof anymore:). Then just need to get a cd player and i'll be right for the weekend.
Off now to bolt my extinguisher in!