Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will russtle some up when I could be arsed.

And a not so good looking Stanza.

These will have to suffice for now.

floody

Wheel size expert
I have enjoyed spending too much on building cars/motorbikes and then thrashing them. 2k is a bit rich though Breaka, my 17x9.5's on the GTR were $1400 brand new.
$2K is about half new price.

Some of the better Jap stuff tops $2k a wheel!

Those guys lookin at Golf's and 205's would do well to take a Alfa 33 1.5 Ti or 1.7 Ti for a blat.....Id reccomend sticking with the twin carb models rather than the Injected ones, unless were talking about a 16v....

mr flat

Likes Dirt
die grinder is working again thanksto a trip to the trusty electronic appliance man so i can continue to remove large amounts of metal from my windsor exhaust ports.
on other news found a pic of the car i'm buying less motor in action so check it out.

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Offroad tyres

So this is a car thread and I need some car advice!

I need to buy some new tyres for my car. Its an 03 jeep grand cherokee with 4wd. Current tyres are low on tread and have some nasty cuts in the sidewalls from some easy 4WDing. Theyre also street tyres (wrangler hp) and by default pretty much suck for off road use (also see low on tread).

I drive on road 99% of the time.. though Id love to get off road more often. I drive to work and back a lot, and then road trip approx 1-2 times a month. I also want to use this car for some easy-moderate 4WDing and camping type stuff maybe once a month or so, but having loud buzzy, bad handling MT type tyres would get old quick.
Its got 17" wheels.

The max size according to google is in vicinity of 30" diameter which comes out to a 255/65 R17 or something, or maybe smaller. I dont want it to rub.. hopefully even when its fully articulated. (Though I am thinking about doing a 2" lift as its cheap and that would probably clear it easy..)
I dont really want something like BFG ATs as I think they're too aggressive for my needs (and they dont seem to come in this size??), and I dont want the crappy wrangler hp's that are on it now.
Im looking at wrangler 'silent armour's which are meant to be good on road and decent off. Cause I'd need 5 I dont wanna spend too much and these are pretty much at the top of my price range.

Other tyres in this category / range / Size:
- Bridgestone Destination AT
- General Grabber AT 2 (cheap)
- Michelin LTX (I think?)
- BFG rugged / long trails (I know one is too road biased... the other I cant remember the tread pattern)

What other tyres should I look at and what do you guys recommend in this range?

Last edited:

clockworked

Like an orange
slow day at work - so here is a newb question for you bogan rev heads.

If you wanted to hot up an older european sedan (eg bmw, merc etc) what would you pick performance-wise? that is to say, what would make a good base for a decent sportier build?

i like the look of some of the older euro sedans

Matt H

Eats Squid

If you wanted to hot up an older european sedan (eg bmw, merc etc) what would you pick performance-wise? that is to say, what would make a good base for a decent sportier build?

BMW E30 for something cheap with a pretty massive aftermarket, or maybe if you had a lot of time and resources you could do a wicked 300E/AMG hammer replica...

fairy1

Banned

Saw a nice Lancia Delta Integrale on Car Sales, but they are LHD.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Well, I have this in transit to me currently. I bought it from a seller in Orgeon USA and it is on a truck to me in Tucson USA. I will be bringing it back to australia later this year.

'67 Camaro, ZZ4 crate engine putting out 355Hp.

Attachments

Linnertson

Likes Bikes
^
I like it, nice mate.

I'm feeling pretty lazy right now, so i'll just make a simple post.
1987' AW11 MR2. It was my major work for year 12 last year and i'm just continuing on with it.

Right now, i'm about to swap the 16V 4A-GE with a 20V 4A-GE. I've got the engine, it's a matter of waiting to be able to do it at work. I've done a few other things, also have many other items planned for it, inc suspension, clutch... etc... At the end of it it's not gonna be my daily driver.

(I'm on my Greens now).

Ivan

Eats Squid
Well, I have this in transit to me currently. I bought it from a seller in Orgeon USA and it is on a truck to me in Tucson USA. I will be bringing it back to australia later this year.

'67 Camaro, ZZ4 crate engine putting out 355Hp.
I freakin love it. Here's a shot of one I took at a motorshow last year. It did pretty well on the dyno that day too.

When I had this car as my desktop wallpaper at work, there were constant droolers standing behind me all day.

Attachments

Arete

Likes Dirt
The first Generation Camaro has been my favourite muscle car since I was 12. Fuck you :).

Enjoy it. :)

Must. Not. Buy. Car. Before. Moving. Overseas... Argh!

'Ross

Eats Squid
Camaro is one of my dream cars as well, nice work.

Good to see something other than riceburners being posted up as well:p

udi

swiss cheese
Those guys lookin at Golf's and 205's would do well to take a Alfa 33 1.5 Ti or 1.7 Ti for a blat.....Id reccomend sticking with the twin carb models rather than the Injected ones, unless were talking about a 16v....
They're definitely cool cars, my friend has a 33 1.7 16v that goes pretty hard, and his friend has the same car in Permanent4 guise. The P4's are sick.

From what I can gather though, you better have a garage full of spares handy. :)