Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

top_dog

Likes Dirt
Indeed Uditha. 350Zs are deceptively quick. Holden's are gay though.

Just imagine how sore my right arm would get if I put BOS suspension on a Clio haha.:p

Last edited:

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
Just to be clear, the SR20 is a pipe dream (and the L20b is the realistic one).

Has a fair bit of poke, reasonably economical (think ~7l/100km) and looks coool. Unfortunately, cars like this (KE30, Ke55, 1600, Stanza, KE70 etc.) seem to fetch a premium these days, because everyone sees the potential for cheap sliders and pays accordingly.

$3,000 for an SR20'd KE70? Sorry but that seems a bit optimistic to me. There's a KE70 with a 4AGE and weldy locally for over $3,000. Even stock Ksevs with minimal rust go for ~$1,500.
I saw one KE70 with an SR20 in it for $3500. But it had a 3sp Auto and was basically shat. Seen a couple in really good nick for around 3K, but mostly restored to original condition. Say I spent 3K on a decent one, I'd probably spend the same again long term changing it up a bit. If I cant find an SR20 they still go pretty hard with the standard engine.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
18L / 100k from a camaro. i can beat that kinda, my holden rodeo does 22L/100k to and from school (10km drive) highway tho its down to 10L / 100k

Also, bought this gem, sight unseen, for $250.

1.7l flat four, injected, 5spd, rah rah rah. Needs a new hatch glass. God knows what else.

The Mrs is gunna drive it. Ima gunna put open pipes on it, as per the one I owned when I was 18 hehe.

Still on the lookout for a good re-co'ed turbo for my XR6T.... bleh!

Update, even if noone cares.

Key snapped off in the ignition, now paying $100

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
FINALY fucking got a road worthy on my car! its been over 2 months since i handed over payment for it!
ive spent more then i want to think about, but its on the road! (well almost still gotta go to vic roads to pay transfer fee's!)...
basically a hell of a job, but its getting to where i want it to be ( had always planned on doing most of the work i had to do for rwc, just didnt want to have to do it all straight away)

-changed turbo, it had a twinscroll turbo, i have gone back to standard scroll, mainly due to the headers change. + this means i get the subaru sound back, and it doesnt sound like a fuckin POS SR.. hahaha

-new headers/dump, it was set up twist mount, and well it looked good, and worked well with a FMIC, its a waste of time with a TMIC, plus, it was 100% illegal.

-got rid of the FMIC and put on a slightly bigger then normal tmic, which is legal

-changed muffler, which is JUST legal.

now i just need to work out wtf i loose all my coolant to overflow when im on boost, but not all the time, which kind of rules out any major problem. and im clean sailing.

also waiting for a new boost controller, as the old turbo had the actuater modded to run 15psi, but my new turbo has a 6psi actuater, which not only doesnt work with my current boost controll, it is hell boring running it at wastgate pressure of 6psi!!

thought id chuck up a quick pic, nothing special really, but its a car that ive always wanted, big enough to fit me, bikes and mates. big enough for me to comfortably sleep in down the coast, and has towing capactiy to tow my boat around!... not to mention pretty fuggin fast. it was in the area of 180kw at all 4, probaly be running in the region of 16-170 now ive changed the headers etc..
(number blanked out due to its the previous owners plates)

Attachments

Ivan

Eats Squid
now i just need to work out wtf i loose all my coolant to overflow when im on boost, but not all the time, which kind of rules out any major problem. and im clean sailing.
Cylinder pressure leaking into cooling system = Head gasket?

BTW, I love the car, Ive always wanted to own one too.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Cylinder pressure leaking into cooling system = Head gasket?

thats what alot of my reading tells me, BUT ive had head tests down, and no leaks, but they are pretty pointless as it only hapens when revving hard, but not necessarily under boost.

and the second weird problem is, it doesnt happen all the time maybe 1 in 3 times.... its welly a pain in the arse, i wish i just knew what it was so i could just get on with fixing it, compared to just living with a car that i have to top up coolant every few days if i drive it.

floody

Wheel size expert
Has a fair bit of poke, reasonably economical (think ~7l/100km) and looks coool. Unfortunately, cars like this (KE30, Ke55, 1600, Stanza, KE70 etc.) seem to fetch a premium these days, because everyone sees the potential for cheap sliders and pays accordingly.

On the topic of engines, how hard is it to replace the L16 with an L20? Will it just bolt strait in without and custom mounts/ work? I'm thinking L20b matched with a 5spd from a SSS Stanza will do nicely. Any ideas on an LSD?
On the old car slider concept....End of the day the poor pay twice, most end up costing more and working worse than just buying, say, an S13 and a set of coilovers.

L20 for L16 swap should be basically a bolt in, I don't know if they use different clutch sizes or anything but mounts wise it should all fit up.

LSD... H165, H190 options are slim, cheapest is probably R31 borg warner diff with a Kaaz centre but probably still a $2k proposition.

fairy1

Banned
Hey Sawtell nice pic of the Volvo wagon. Any chance your coolant problem could be caused by a restriction in the coolant pipe to or from the turbo? If it is restricting flow it may cause coolant to move too slowly through your turbo causing localised boiling. I am probably way off but I can't think of much else if the cyl pressures are spot on.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
So I had a wheel alignment done on the Sexcel the other day.

We were running 50mm of toe in at the front! The rear toe and all round camber were just a hodge podge of all kinds of shit.

We're now dialed in for max camber, a touch of toe out at the front and a touch of toe in at the back.

Painted the roll cage up to a nice glossy black too.

Practice day at Lakeside tomorrow - I want to run a low 70's lap - my mate had the car there on the weekend and did 72, my previous time was 80sec on shit tyres.

Bring it!

udi

swiss cheese
Indeed Uditha. 350Zs are deceptively quick. Holden's are gay though.

Just imagine how sore my right arm would get if I put BOS suspension on a Clio haha.:p
Damn spikey BOS's. I nabbed a stoy again for my desk and to maybe pull apart for giggles, do you know of anything that will re-pressurise the shock off the shelf? Needs a needle but I'm lazy to bodge something up.

Will touch the bikes again eventually but a break would be good (had lots of surgery), cars definitely aren't as fun - was just something on the to-do list for me. Are you still riding?

frostbite

Likes Dirt
So I just bought this... 2006 SV650S.

Since this is the project thread, i'm intending on
- fender eliminator to clean up the tail
- new exhaust can (or just drilling the exhaust... its free) for a throatier sound
- learning how to ride it.

First bike, should be interesting.

Attachments

Ivan

Eats Squid
So I just bought this... 2006 SV650S.

Since this is the project thread, i'm intending on
- fender eliminator to clean up the tail
- new exhaust can (or just drilling the exhaust... its free) for a throatier sound
- learning how to ride it.

First bike, should be interesting.

They are a fantastic bike. Great handling and light, which seem to be two things a lot of people overlook when buying a bike. Have fun!

top_dog

Likes Dirt
Damn spikey BOS's. I nabbed a stoy again for my desk and to maybe pull apart for giggles, do you know of anything that will re-pressurise the shock off the shelf? Needs a needle but I'm lazy to bodge something up.

Will touch the bikes again eventually but a break would be good (had lots of surgery), cars definitely aren't as fun - was just something on the to-do list for me. Are you still riding?
Mine is so unspikey. Maybe its your Sunday? I know that it uses the same needle as high end car dampers. An Ohlins one fitted mine, but I'm sure they are pretty common.

Cars are fun on a track, not on the road though. I'm riding non seriously, mostly XC, occasional DH. I've diversified though, the bike I ride the most has 300mm travel Shivers...

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Awesome day.

My mate (and co-owner) went out and went TWO SECONDS faster than his best time from a week ago, and all we've done in the intervening period is a steering alignment! He never actually bettered that time though and spent the whole time chasing his first time.

I went out and knocked 7 seconds off my previous PB - but that old time was on shit tyres.

The car felt much, much more responsive with the steering alignment sorted, but much less forgiving at the limit - I had a bit of an off in my first session and deliberately slowed it down and tried to drive smoothly for the second session.

For the second and third sessions I just tried to build a bit more speed, brake a bit deeper and still keep it smooth. My fourth session was great. Smooth, fast and consistent - my last four laps of the day were within 0.5 of a second. Quickest time was the second last lap at 1:12:12. Rhys' best time was 1:10:10 so I've still got a bit of room to go faster.

We're destroying the shoulders on the outside tyres though. And to go faster we need more camber, more caster, and dampers that actually fucking work - our current dampers are actually lubricating the nearby chassis and aren't really damping anything at all. Harder springs too.

BTW kids: 1.09 lateral G's in an Excel - Fuck Yeah!

Last edited: