Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Drew.

Eats Squid
For US $7K? You'd be spending like 15k on the thing by the time you get it here! F-That!

Unless of course, as a kid, instead of having Ferrari posters hanging from your wall, you had Kei B turbos, and you've been waiting your whole life to aquire one. If not, i'd say skip it.

Arete

Likes Dirt
If it's newer than 1989, it comes in under SEVS - which as Floody pointed out, a rather strict and convoluted set of regulations. You'll need to pick a car that had no local variant sold here, and comply it through a RAWS workshop - as part of the compliance procedure, it will need to be returned to stock and meet the ADRs for its year of manufacture. Check out some of the import sites for an overview of what needs to be done and how much it costs.

http://carizma.com.au/Pages/Import - Process.htm

IronPony

Likes Bikes
Mmkay that can go straight into the to hard basket what about getting a smart car with a gsxr motor in it mod plated?

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mmkay that can go straight into the to hard basket what about getting a smart car with a gsxr motor in it mod plated?
I'd say that'd be stupidly impractical as a daily. I can only imagine how crazy that would be to drive on public roads plus you'd probably end up stripping the interior and ridding it of most creature comforts.

Unless it was a project car, in which case dear god do it!

Cars back together tomorrow, cannot wait!

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
This sucker bolts straight in and uses the stock ecu I would be leaving everything else stock exept for suspension and brakes

http://www.smartuki.com/

I want a fast little sleeper and the bonus with the smart car is that it's rwd unlike most little fast cars
In a twisted way, that smart car is deeply appealing. I never thought I would say something nice about a smart car...

IronPony

Likes Bikes
Holy Dooley that is flipping sweet. It's a shame I don't have more then 1 day a week to invest into a project car. The awd mini may be a little to complicated to a viable option for me

floody

Wheel size expert
Regoing a bike engine road car in Australia is virtually impossible. It will have to meet all 2010 ADRs for noise and emissions, and the testing alone costs many thousands.

Smartuki sounds great, awesome noise. Looks like it has very little grip and is generally in either terminal understeer or severe snap oversteer though.

GravityGuru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Holy Dooley that is flipping sweet. It's a shame I don't have more then 1 day a week to invest into a project car. The awd mini may be a little to complicated to a viable option for me
In that case maybe just wait until you see the next interesting youtube clip and decide that's your new project car... I would have stuck with the van...

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
See if you can't find yourself a Nissan March Super Turbo if you're into quick little Japanese hatches...

I've always wondered what the logistics of bringing in a short wheelbase GU patrol or a two door Prado would be.
I believe the two door Prados are actually available over here...

mitchy-b

Likes Dirt
hey sorry its a bit off the smart car topic, but say i wanted to import a 180sx from japan, what kinda money would it cost to get it over here? seems cheap when u see a 180sx for $2100 us.