Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

seventyseven

percent of Australians blame the bike for their cr
My interweb searching seems to tell me 225's are about the max you can go on a 7 wide without any trouble? Hmm i haven't really delved into the world of tires just yet...what would i be looking at for a good tire at each corner new?

Yeh i do fancy the Potenzas...though im not too learn-ed on there models. Is the RE002 the bees knees?
the RE-11 is the been knees. expect to pay nearly $300 a corner.

I vote federal 595RS-R in a 205 width. A little stretch is good because the tyre would flex alot less then if it was ballooning.

depends on what size you need 15inch are about $150 a corner
this isn't available in 17 inch and RSR's run WAY oversized past their quoted with. not to mention that whilst they're street legal they are NOT a daily driver tyre.

KU36's are almost a semi slick. they are also possibly the loudest tyre on the market - think 4wd mud tyre loud. yes i'm serious.

to the guy asking about tyres - the best value for money things out are falken 452's. you want them in a 215/45R17.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok so this just happened. I've recently upgraded car and I'm selling the old one without rego. Plates and insurance came off it a few days ago. I had moved it out into the court I live in temporarily so me and my housemates could access the carport, then I hear a bang, look out the window and a van without a driver has rolled into the front of my car.

After about 10 minutes the vehicles owner came out of a house across the street (must have been visiting and not put on handbrake) and she was slightly on the offensive for me having an unregistered vehicle in the street (I know this is not legal). It's a 95 magna with 300000 on the clock, so I was selling it for $450, probably not worth anything now...

Should I pursue this (as in, get quotes etc or strike up a deal so she pays the difference in wrecking it.) or just put it down to bad luck and not contact her to avoid a fine?

felts bend

Likes Bikes
chalk it up to experience steer clear of her and do not hand over any details of the car and have it scrapped asap so she doesn't chase you for damage to the van

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
the RE-11 is the been knees. expect to pay nearly $300 a corner.
KU36's are almost a semi slick. they are also possibly the loudest tyre on the market - think 4wd mud tyre loud. yes i'm serious.
KU36 and 595RS-Rs are not semi slicks- they're an S comp.

Chalk and cheese between the two.

I have heard good things about the Potenza Re-11 and Re-001, but I have only used the Re55 (the R-comp semi)- which is the standard motorsport choice. Very good tyres.

I will be fitting some Toyo's next week- I spent all my budget on new shockies for the car.

IN terms of fitting, a 225 is too big for a 7" rim- it would be better suited to a 7.5".

215= 7"
225= 7.5"
235= 8"
245= 8.5"
255= 9"

floody

Wheel size expert
JJ;

Your car being parked legally or illegally means sweet f*ck all.

The other party is 100% at fault. Property is property, and registered or not you are entitled to be restored to your previous situation.

Go them for costs like a blood crazed Amstaff/Pitbull cross.

Get quotes, get redbook, aim for the difference.

If the car wasn't there and it had hit a fence, a garden, a house or a toddler, you think the stupid bitch would have gone on the offensive? Rip her a new one.

Last edited:

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
JJ;

Your car being parked legally or illegally means sweet f*ck all.

The other party is 100% at fault.

Go them for costs like a blood crazed Amstaff/Pitbull cross.
Yeah the legal advice I got points towards my parking situation being irrelevant to the property damage. If the council or police wanted to fine me for my car being parked then that bears no relevance to the incident.

floody

Wheel size expert
Exactly.

She would be in considerably hotter water for not securing the handbrake/defective handbrake in any case.

People like her just fuel my fire.

floody

Wheel size expert
*Footnote here:

I'm just resolving my own car being backed into, it took weeks because the DICKHEAD who reversed into it maintained (with no legal force!) he wasn't at fault because both cars were technically on private land (I'd briefly paused across a driveway area, two wheels on the apron, two on the road), and I was obstructing his access to the road. Thus he refused to admit fault.

Chyeaaaah. Sure. Because you can just drive through anything parked in your path to reach the road then cry to your insurer. Long and the short is as soon as I gave my diagram of events to his insurer they ripped him one in short order.

People have some amazingly mixed up and plain stupid ideas on this stuff. You would be amazed how many people, for example, believe if a car is parked opposite their driveway, any collision when they back out is the parked car's fault.

seventyseven

percent of Australians blame the bike for their cr
*Footnote here:

I'm just resolving my own car being backed into, it took weeks because the DICKHEAD who reversed into it maintained (with no legal force!) he wasn't at fault because both cars were technically on private land (I'd briefly paused across a driveway area, two wheels on the apron, two on the road), and I was obstructing his access to the road. Thus he refused to admit fault.

Chyeaaaah. Sure. Because you can just drive through anything parked in your path to reach the road then cry to your insurer. Long and the short is as soon as I gave my diagram of events to his insurer they ripped him one in short order.

People have some amazingly mixed up and plain stupid ideas on this stuff. You would be amazed how many people, for example, believe if a car is parked opposite their driveway, any collision when they back out is the parked car's fault.
well, it's always worth a try. (unfortunately).

and daver, i never said they were a semi slick. please go back & re-read things.

for the guy who had someones car roll into him - doesn't matter. get insurance to ream her a new one. as someone else said, imagine if it hit something else (like a person).

in fact, it might even technically be negligent driving or similar.

Last edited:

Largest

Likes Bikes
I just got (last week) a xr400r 04' - I know a tractor bike, but is low maintenance/plenty of grunt and rego is a plus.
When i got it, it had:
  • Polisport headlight
  • all new plastics (ufo)
  • CRF450x exhaust
  • #55 slow jet and #170 primary jet (I think stock is #55 and #155)

My mods so far (inspired by Gordons mods):
  • #62 slow jet and #160 primary jet
  • ported/polished the header pipe
  • removed air box snorkel

The carb re-jet has really improved throttle response, especially down low.
I haven't ridden a heap of bikes, but I've been riding with a mate on a DRZ400 (11') and he was really pulling away before the port/re-jet and now the difference is not nearly as noticeable so the mods have had a good impact so far.

Plans:
  • K&N Air filter
  • Pumper carb?? looks like $500 but apparently really wakes the bike up.
  • 22l tank
  • new tires (no idea what)
  • new aftermarket light - current is useless and ugly!

If you have any ideas for it let me know.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Mate I put an FCR pumper on my XR600 and it certainly made a difference, mainly in terms of throttle response and predictability rather than outright power.

Worth a go IMO. I got on on ebay from a CRF450 and modified it to suit, but you'd want to check out what the go is for a 400.

Sam.

Eats Squid
Hey all, got quotes on Exedy HD clutch, ended up being quoted at $440. Bad news is I got quoted $700 for a lightened flywheel! A little steep I thought, so now its just a matter of finding my part number considering they go for ~ $200 on ebay. Should be looking at $1100 all up to do my clutch, with heavy duty kit and lightened flywheel. Much better than the $1600 I was quoted by local mechanic for the shitty oem replacement with solid mass flywheel which can be had as a kit for $190 on ebay!

Also managed to score all the piping necessary to do direct ram intake feed as well as high flow panel filter and billet shift kit for $100!

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got 2 runs in tonight due to a few crashes causing the strip to be down for a while. 16.036 was my best. Kind of dissapointed i didn't get into the 15's but w/e it was plenty of fun. Pretty keen on some circuit racing, something more suited to the car and my enjoyment

Sam.

Eats Squid
Got 2 runs in tonight due to a few crashes causing the strip to be down for a while. 16.036 was my best. Kind of dissapointed i didn't get into the 15's but w/e it was plenty of fun. Pretty keen on some circuit racing, something more suited to the car and my enjoyment
What was your speed clocked at? Not a bad effort though!

Stupid question right here, but what oil should I lube my air filter with? I haven't got the foggiest idea what I should use!

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
. Much better than the $1600 I was quoted by local mechanic for the shitty oem replacement with solid mass flywheel which can be had as a kit for $190 on ebay!
I bought a diff gear set a while back. Was quoted %350 for an oem set rated for about 350hp. Or $300 for an aftermarket set rated at >500hp. Absolute no brainer.

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What was your speed clocked at? Not a bad effort though!

Stupid question right here, but what oil should I lube my air filter with? I haven't got the foggiest idea what I should use!
Cheeeeerrzzzz, tis alright. 137.43km/h i was doing on my best run. K&N and some other companies do like an air filter cleaning kit, it includes the oil. Not the slightest clue exactly what it is though as im still yet to re-oil mine. My 60 foot time and general take off was alot quicker than my competiter but i just die in the ass afterwards. Considering i was .1 of a second quicker than an XR6 at 60 foot thats not too shabby. Another P plater though, he could be as inexperienced (read: bad) a driver as me.

Also considering ive got an O2 sensor running rich, i don't see why i couldn't break 15. Gahhh excuses excuses.

268812_10150216568872414_520682413_7569048_5400425_n.jpg

Fulllyyyy siiicccc

top_dog

Likes Dirt
How many people have driveline failures at the street drags? I can't imagine it's good for anything.

QR or lakeside sprints are an easy intro to circuit work. For actual racing you need a cage and everything though.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
How many people have driveline failures at the street drags? I can't imagine it's good for anything.

QR or lakeside sprints are an easy intro to circuit work. For actual racing you need a cage and everything though.
Mostly depends on what they are running. I've seen plenty of standard street cars survive fine-people who are just there to have fun with what they drive to work . It is the ones that have had some engine/performance stuff done without anything else that seem to fair the worst ie. modified commodores, falcons etc.

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks top dog, yeh im not after anything too serious...just a day license type deal. In a perfect world i'd have a fulltime track car :p

And yep there would be plenty of casualties. The big one last night was a commodore running like 12's, on its third run it was going dead straight about 3/4 the way down the strip and suddenly it shot straight into the wall and bounced its way over the line. 'Apparently' the steering column snapped. Its ridiculous the amount of commodores/falcons that are out there.