Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Plow King

Little bit.
Has it been reliable?

This is essentially a replacement car for the wife's Barina - but I'm not spending cash on a slow shitbox, given its going to be our daily commute.

She wants a 4 door hatch, which is fine and the only 4 door hatch that seems to tick all the boxes is the WRX. Mazda 3 MPS could be up there but unsure. Focus ST also another contender but thats getting expensive as well. Trying to keep this under $35k. The Nissan Pulsar SSS can be bought for that price buts its bloody ugly and soft as.
I bought the car 2 years ago at 94,000km. I have since put 56,000km on it and the only thing I have had to replace (touch wood) is the radiator and clutch that was stock from new. I imagine I look like abit of a berk with gold wheels, a massive scoop and wing but quite frankly I couldn't give the slightest of fucks.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey

Does anyone have a ballpark figure for an auto electrician to take a look at audio wiring?
Or how much it would be for a new stereo to be put in - just a cheap unit with AUX, Radio and CD?

Cheers.

binner

Hath shat hymself
plug n play

what type,year of car is it , usually you can plug n play (adapters from repco/supercheap,autobarn) with newer models......or do you want to go further?

Dougy

Likes Dirt
Does anybody here have an 86? I'm trying to talk sense to the missus but she isn't seeing it. 4 door hatchback is all she sees.

I'm going to check out a 2011 MY12 WRX hatch with the Premium pack on the weekend. Its done 12-13,000km.

The dealer has since bumped the price from $37k up to $38k driveaway which I think is too much.

My mate got himself a WRX sedan (no premium pack) for $30k that was advertised for $36k with 30,000km on it.
I don't own one but have spent a bit of time driving them. Absolutely fun to drive even at legal speeds both auto an manual. The auto was a huge surprise especially compared to the 5 speed Sports shift auto found in other Subarus. It's quick, smooth, and not invasive. Manual is still the pick though but if the Mrs wants an auto it's not going to be a deal breaker. The steering is one of the best points of the car. i've always found Subaru steering to be on the light side and Toyota to be wooden and lifeless, probably due to FF config. Subaru and Toyota worked togeather on the steering, met in the middle and it's bang on. excelent feedback, weighting, and awesome turn in is what this car is all about.
What will be the deal breaker is not matter how much fun the car is to drive its only good for putting a smile on your face. Rear seats are only good for bags of shopping. Not even legless kids will fit back there. On the plus side you shopping won't fall on the floor and roll around. Depending on where you live the suspension might set off the Mrs especially if she got a good set. On alpine back roads my mrs, Japanese so no bouncy issues, said it was ok but not as good as our Outback.
Everything else is top notch for the money. Int plastics are not too bad especially considering the reps both companies have for going cheap indoors.
Bottom line impractical as hell but shitloads of fun

MasterOfReality

After forever
Hey

Does anyone have a ballpark figure for an auto electrician to take a look at audio wiring?
Or how much it would be for a new stereo to be put in - just a cheap unit with AUX, Radio and CD?

Cheers.
I paid $80 8 years ago for a commodore. Its just a simple swap. I learnt how to do it when the cheap Sony head unit went and I could get it done in under an hour.

MasterOfReality

After forever
I don't own one but have spent a bit of time driving them. Absolutely fun to drive even at legal speeds both auto an manual. The auto was a huge surprise especially compared to the 5 speed Sports shift auto found in other Subarus. It's quick, smooth, and not invasive. Manual is still the pick though but if the Mrs wants an auto it's not going to be a deal breaker. The steering is one of the best points of the car. i've always found Subaru steering to be on the light side and Toyota to be wooden and lifeless, probably due to FF config. Subaru and Toyota worked togeather on the steering, met in the middle and it's bang on. excelent feedback, weighting, and awesome turn in is what this car is all about.
What will be the deal breaker is not matter how much fun the car is to drive its only good for putting a smile on your face. Rear seats are only good for bags of shopping. Not even legless kids will fit back there. On the plus side you shopping won't fall on the floor and roll around. Depending on where you live the suspension might set off the Mrs especially if she got a good set. On alpine back roads my mrs, Japanese so no bouncy issues, said it was ok but not as good as our Outback.
Everything else is top notch for the money. Int plastics are not too bad especially considering the reps both companies have for going cheap indoors.
Bottom line impractical as hell but shitloads of fun
Thanks for that Dougy.

She likes the 86 but doesn't want a coupe as she is thinking about kids.

I live in the west side of Brisbane, semi rural, all hills but crappy roads.

I have my own cars (Suzuki GV with AT's and lift kit for beach driving and a old VP HSV that I'll eventually get around to or get rid of) so I guess this one will be up to which one she likes the most. It will be our daily commuter so of course I'll do my best to pursuade her of the merits of a turbo hatch! On the plus side is I can stick my bike in a hatch.

Last edited:

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what type,year of car is it , usually you can plug n play (adapters from repco/supercheap,autobarn) with newer models......or do you want to go further?
99 Nissan Maxima 30G. Has a TV/CD player and seperate radio and seperate clock. None of those work at all, but the aircon controls sit in the middle of it all and they light up and that's all working beautifully.

So I'm not sure if it's the headunit that's gone or some wiring somewhere - which is why I want an auto electrician to take a look.

I replaced the AUDIO fuse in the cabin, but it blew straight away. And there's about half a dozen fuses all labeled ELECTRONICS - I assume they're the interior lights etc.

Dougy

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that Dougy.

She likes the 86 but doesn't want a coupe as she is thinking about kids.

I live in the west side of Brisbane, semi rural, all hills but crappy roads.

I have my own cars (Suzuki GV with AT's and lift kit for beach driving and a old VP HSV that I'll eventually get around to or get rid of) so I guess this one will be up to which one she likes the most. It will be our daily commuter so of course I'll do my best to pursuade her of the merits of a turbo hatch! On the plus side is I can stick my bike in a hatch.
Kids and the 86 just won't mix unfortunately. It's more of a couples go for a blat to Nebo, Tamborine, or Warwick on the weekend kind of car. Def out for you bike as well, especially if you like the clown shoes. Impreza hatch would be better but wait a bit for the bigger 2014 model. Other than that the GT Liberty is a bloody nice car but a bit more pricey.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Kids and the 86 just won't mix unfortunately. It's more of a couples go for a blat to Nebo, Tamborine, or Warwick on the weekend kind of car. Def out for you bike as well, especially if you like the clown shoes. Impreza hatch would be better but wait a bit for the bigger 2014 model. Other than that the GT Liberty is a bloody nice car but a bit more pricey.
Yeah, that's what I thought.

We are checking out a few 2011/2012 wrx hatches tomorrow, a 2011 Mazda 3 MPS and a Ford Focus ST. Prefer to buy one or two years old. Don't know if I can wait for the new wrx as our current commuter is going downhill fast. Just spent $900 on a service and new rear shocks, and this week the front struts are clunking. Just fed up with it now hehe. I think what makes it worse is I don't really have the time to do the work myself and wait around for parts to come from the uk.

Dougy

Likes Dirt
I've driven an MPS and it would probably scare your Mrs. The power comes on hard and torque steer is pretty gnarly. Using the TCS tames it but also kills the car as it's so invasive.

Don't know about the Focus. Engine is supposed to be strong. Knew a bloke who had one but he traded it in for the RS. Guess he like it but wanted more.

allstar

Likes Dirt
this threads getting boring and off track... time to bring it back around! enjoy

before

After

The inbetween times

good fun... but could be more so
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyn_Iwlz5GU

This could help

Oh yes... this is to be more fun

FML

3years in... why am i even doing this?

And all the hard work, the money, the blood and the tears look to be paying off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xj2DPMUVL8

oh yes... this was definatley worth it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekhx1PJO9u8

everything apart from the turbo gear is 100% BMW and it made 245rwkw's on its final dyno run, gotta love m20's!

anyway... got bored of that

so i bought this

going to transplant the 3.5lt m30 into the little e30 then run some positive pressure through that and see what happens!

so far the project has taken over 4years... at this stage im just waiting on some of the old gear to sell so I can make some progress with this m30 swap. some time off work would help too :p

if anyone wants a garrett gt3071r, custom e30 m20 manifold, custom e30 charge pipes, custom e30 dump pipe and afew other bits to turn your m20 into a turbo beast let me know cause i have all that for sale :p

MasterOfReality

After forever
Well, we went test driving and drove two Subaru WRX's and a Maxda 3 MPS.

We bought the MPS. Its a mint late 2011 model in pearl white with 14,600 km on the clock. Came with cargo mat, MPS floor mats, dark tints and that thin transparent film to protect against stone chips. Leather, sat nav, cruise control, dual zone climate control and Bose audio.

We went to the Subaru dealer at first to check out a 2010 and 2012 WRX hatch. They wouldn't let us test drive what we came to see with some idiotic excuse of not being allowed to put km's on the cars for sale, instead steering us towards a new demo sedan. The 2012 hatch had been towed to a shopping centre to be put on display. Ok we will test drive the sedan to get a sense of what it was like. I thought it was ok. Was a few rattles in the interior which I could have lived with. The missus hated it due to its larger proportions. She didn't like the clutch and gearbox either. I didn't mind it as its something you can get used to in 5 minutes.

Got back to the showroom and the wife told the salesman she hated the sedan and only wants to look at hatches, and what do you know, all of a sudden we can drive them now. They made us wait around for bloody ages and in the meantime one of the dealers came over to spruik the benefits of Subaru financing and paint protection. Sent him on his way. Got into the 2010 hatch (had around 60,000km on it) and it was a bit of a let down. Easy to drive and the performance great, but the creaks, rattles and groans wasn't really something I was expecting. Sort of felt like I was in my old Commonwhore. Not quite as bad but not far from it. Nasty cheap interior and really uncomfortable seats. This one had the premium pack too.

I know that when it comes to these cars, the focus is on the performance and drivetrain, but it was fairly poverty pack inside. They would not budge much on the price of the 2012 hatch (circa $40k) only coming down around $500 if we were prepared to buy that day. The trade in was only $1500. So I was looking at around $38,000 change over.

Went to the next dealer where we found the MPS. Test drove it for an hour. Was easy to drive, 6 speed gearbox felt better than the WRX's 5 speed, easy light clutch. Felt pretty solid with no rattles or noises. I provoked the infamous torque steer a few times, and to be honest, its only really an issue when you are really up it. Around town its very docile and drives probably just like any other Mazda 3. When its on boost that's a completely different story. Power delivery is pretty savage but that's what makes it fun I reckon. It felt slower than the WRX (which it is anyway) but is sufficient for a daily commuter. The wife had no issues with it. It did surprise her how the power delivery comes on strong when on boost but she said 'ah as long as I hang onto the steering wheel I should be right'.

Overall she liked it better than the WRX, she likes its split personality which surprised me. I like it too but wasn't fussed either way. The MPS is certainly a nicer place to sit in than the WRX and with both cars I won't be driving them to their limits.

We worked out a change over price of just under $30k with $3500 trade in.

Pick it up on Saturday. Already looking on line for matt black wheels haha.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Well, we went test driving and drove two Subaru WRX's and a Maxda 3 MPS.

We bought the MPS. Its a mint late 2011 model in pearl white with 14,600 km on the clock. Came with cargo mat, MPS floor mats, dark tints and that thin transparent film to protect against stone chips. Leather, sat nav, cruise control, dual zone climate control and Bose audio.

Went to the next dealer where we found the MPS. Test drove it for an hour. Was easy to drive, 6 speed gearbox felt better than the WRX's 5 speed, easy light clutch. Felt pretty solid with no rattles or noises. I provoked the infamous torque steer a few times, and to be honest, its only really an issue when you are really up it. Around town its very docile and drives probably just like any other Mazda 3. When its on boost that's a completely different story. Power delivery is pretty savage but that's what makes it fun I reckon. It felt slower than the WRX (which it is anyway) but is sufficient for a daily commuter. The wife had no issues with it. It did surprise her how the power delivery comes on strong when on boost but she said 'ah as long as I hang onto the steering wheel I should be right'.
I have a couple of mates with these (one had WRX previously and felt it was inferior in everything (including reliability) but performance).

They respond exceptionally well to a suspension upgrade. One of my mates had Bilsteins and slightly stiffer springs (Centreline in Melbourne), actually improves the ride and traction, helps tame the torque steer (to a degree) as well.

http://www.racingbeat.com/Mazda/Mazda-3.html?id=xNz8aywI

Last edited:

allstar

Likes Dirt
Is that a E28 535i? Looks like a sweet project, what condition is she in?
yah e28 535 with a re-built motor... interior isn't much chop but the exterior is sweet. I only bought it for the engine which is going into the e30 as soon as i have time to get around to it :p

Likes Bikes
yah e28 535 with a re-built motor... interior isn't much chop but the exterior is sweet. I only bought it for the engine which is going into the e30 as soon as i have time to get around to it :p
Sounds like it'll come out sweet. I've no real knowledge about engine swaps so excuse my ignorance, but I'm curious about some things:
I'm guessing the 3.5 is gonna be quite a bit bigger than what was in the E30 (2.0 or 2.5 I'm guessing?) does it have any issues fitting?
And how does the stock trans hold up with such an increase in power?

Edit - Also, why did you choose a M30 (?) engine over like the M50/2/?

Last edited:

allstar

Likes Dirt
umm not a huge amount of work to fit the bigger 3.5lt in. Can use stock e34 engine mounts, modified tranny mount and the wiring loom is pretty much a plug and play affair... just need to lengthen afew wires here and there to account for the longer motor, you cant run a mechanical fan either just a puller infront of the radiator but that works fine.

Stock e30 trans wont fit onto an m30 without a bellhousing adapter so i'll be using an e34 or e28 3.5lt 5speed. In saying that tho the stock e30 5speed can have 600hp+ through it no worries, they really are bullet proof.

Didnt go the m50/2 route because
*they cost alot more to buy
*much more complicated to fit
*more complicated engine so more to go wrong (they arent as strong as an m30)
*2.5 m50 = 189hp
2.8 m52 = 190hp
3.5 m30 = 210hp

just a better platform to start with, it weighs the same as the m50/2's aswell

Likes Bikes
umm not a huge amount of work to fit the bigger 3.5lt in. Can use stock e34 engine mounts, modified tranny mount and the wiring loom is pretty much a plug and play affair... just need to lengthen afew wires here and there to account for the longer motor, you cant run a mechanical fan either just a puller infront of the radiator but that works fine.

Stock e30 trans wont fit onto an m30 without a bellhousing adapter so i'll be using an e34 or e28 3.5lt 5speed. In saying that tho the stock e30 5speed can have 600hp+ through it no worries, they really are bullet proof.

Didnt go the m50/2 route because
*they cost alot more to buy
*much more complicated to fit
*more complicated engine so more to go wrong (they arent as strong as an m30)
*2.5 m50 = 189hp
2.8 m52 = 190hp
3.5 m30 = 210hp

just a better platform to start with, it weighs the same as the m50/2's aswell
Thanks for the reply, it's always so interesting learning about these things.
Interesting about the gearbox though, will a bellhousing adapter be more expensive than buying a whole new gearbox (or just too hard to find)?