Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

allstar

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the reply, it's always so interesting learning about these things.
Interesting about the gearbox though, will a bellhousing adapter be more expensive than buying a whole new gearbox (or just too hard to find)?
a whole gearbox out of an e28 (which fits the m30 and fits in the e30 trans tunnel) is only $500 and a bell housing adapter would have to be custom made = $$$$

basically m30,m10 share the same bell housing
m20,m50,m52,s50,s52,m42 share the same bell housing
(theres more thats just the common ones)

all engines and gearbox combos can pretty much fit in any BMW chassis without too much work (there are exceptions ofcourse) so its just easiest to get an engine and gearbox that fit together and then make that fit the car.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So the TV/CD player is rooted - radio is now working with a change of fuse. Can someone suggest a good cheap CD player that has AUX in so I can play my ipod. Even just a half decent brand ~$90-$100. Going to go down to Autopro and buy one in just a minute and need to know what to look for.

Edit- ended up with a cheap $85 one from Autopro. It's being fitted now.

Last edited:

Likes Bikes
a whole gearbox out of an e28 (which fits the m30 and fits in the e30 trans tunnel) is only $500 and a bell housing adapter would have to be custom made = $$$$

basically m30,m10 share the same bell housing
m20,m50,m52,s50,s52,m42 share the same bell housing
(theres more thats just the common ones)

all engines and gearbox combos can pretty much fit in any BMW chassis without too much work (there are exceptions ofcourse) so its just easiest to get an engine and gearbox that fit together and then make that fit the car.
Ahhh yeah, that makes sense.

Dougy

Likes Dirt
He's right. I had an AE86, rust-free (had it all cut out) with 150 000km. Sold it in 2000 for $3000 and it took AGES to sell.
Here in Japan it's getting hard to pick up and AE86 for less than AU$3000!! Even at the auctions. They are still incredibly popular and when you do find a cheap one there is a reason. It's either full of rust or been flogged to death as a drift pig. Bog standard clean ones are usually around $5000. Thanks to Initial D people over here know what they have and want their $$$.

I do think though that $5k for a 4AC one is a bit high. It'd want to be very clean.

Dougy

Likes Dirt
Well, we went test driving and drove two Subaru WRX's and a Maxda 3 MPS.

We bought the MPS. Its a mint late 2011 model in pearl white with 14,600 km on the clock. Came with cargo mat, MPS floor mats, dark tints and that thin transparent film to protect against stone chips. Leather, sat nav, cruise control, dual zone climate control and Bose audio.

We went to the Subaru dealer at first to check out a 2010 and 2012 WRX hatch. They wouldn't let us test drive what we came to see with some idiotic excuse of not being allowed to put km's on the cars for sale, instead steering us towards a new demo sedan. The 2012 hatch had been towed to a shopping centre to be put on display. Ok we will test drive the sedan to get a sense of what it was like. I thought it was ok. Was a few rattles in the interior which I could have lived with. The missus hated it due to its larger proportions. She didn't like the clutch and gearbox either. I didn't mind it as its something you can get used to in 5 minutes.

Got back to the showroom and the wife told the salesman she hated the sedan and only wants to look at hatches, and what do you know, all of a sudden we can drive them now. They made us wait around for bloody ages and in the meantime one of the dealers came over to spruik the benefits of Subaru financing and paint protection. Sent him on his way. Got into the 2010 hatch (had around 60,000km on it) and it was a bit of a let down. Easy to drive and the performance great, but the creaks, rattles and groans wasn't really something I was expecting. Sort of felt like I was in my old Commonwhore. Not quite as bad but not far from it. Nasty cheap interior and really uncomfortable seats. This one had the premium pack too.

I know that when it comes to these cars, the focus is on the performance and drivetrain, but it was fairly poverty pack inside. They would not budge much on the price of the 2012 hatch (circa $40k) only coming down around $500 if we were prepared to buy that day. The trade in was only $1500. So I was looking at around $38,000 change over.

Went to the next dealer where we found the MPS. Test drove it for an hour. Was easy to drive, 6 speed gearbox felt better than the WRX's 5 speed, easy light clutch. Felt pretty solid with no rattles or noises. I provoked the infamous torque steer a few times, and to be honest, its only really an issue when you are really up it. Around town its very docile and drives probably just like any other Mazda 3. When its on boost that's a completely different story. Power delivery is pretty savage but that's what makes it fun I reckon. It felt slower than the WRX (which it is anyway) but is sufficient for a daily commuter. The wife had no issues with it. It did surprise her how the power delivery comes on strong when on boost but she said 'ah as long as I hang onto the steering wheel I should be right'.

Overall she liked it better than the WRX, she likes its split personality which surprised me. I like it too but wasn't fussed either way. The MPS is certainly a nicer place to sit in than the WRX and with both cars I won't be driving them to their limits.

We worked out a change over price of just under $30k with $3500 trade in.

Pick it up on Saturday. Already looking on line for matt black wheels haha.
Glad you found something you liked. Surprised your Mrs liked the MPS. I've never really been one for FF cars but I hope it works out for you.

Work Meister M1R in Bronze are my favourite wheels at the moment.

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

After forever
Glad you found something you liked. Surprised your Mrs liked the MPS. I've never really been one for FF cars but I hope it works out for you.

Work Meister M1R in Bronze are my favourite wheels at the moment.
She likes the interior, half decent boot space, gearbox and clutch action.

Looking at a set of Oz Racing Alleggerita HLT wheels in black from Tirerack. Them and a set of decent tyres should be under $3k at my door.

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any recommendations for insurance companies for modified cars?

I'm buying a turbo motor for my old Volvo and was thinking Shannons but haven't really called around yet.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I literally just got 3rd Party with RACQ a couple of hours ago. I haven't had to claim, nor had claims against me - but the lady I spoke to was nice enough on the phone.

Crap, just reminded me I need to ring up with my bank details. Whoopsie.

Cjsxrt

Likes Bikes
I'm with suncorp got 408rwhp ute and they covered my tools in the back of the ute for work pretty easy to talk to and didn't care on the modifications

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Any recommendations for insurance companies for modified cars?

I'm buying a turbo motor for my old Volvo and was thinking Shannons but haven't really called around yet.
Shannons have been awesome by me so far. They were the only place that would insure a 21 year old to drive a '67 Camaro. Agreed value, reasonably cost, really low excess, choice of repairer and in the event of a write off you get salvage on the vehicle. They are fine with modifications as long as you tell them-the mod/aftermarket list on my car is close to a page long. Overall very happy.

When some idiot reversed into me last year they were very prompt and helpful. They even called up to make sure the repair was going smoothly.

Plow King

Little bit.
I was with AAMI and were reasonably priced. Then for whatever reason they decided to put up ky premium $800!!!!!!! Extra a year whilst taking off 4k off the agreed value price. I told them to stick it and switched to RACV now im paying 1000 $ less with a lower excess.

$1000 full comp. 23 year old in an sti. Pretty happy with that.

Futile

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im with AAMI, 19, have a first generation MR2, $1178 for full comp including all modifications...

Aussie_Ryder

Likes Dirt
I was with AAMI and were reasonably priced. Then for whatever reason they decided to put up ky premium $800!!!!!!! Extra a year whilst taking off 4k off the agreed value price. I told them to stick it and switched to RACV now im paying 1000 $ less with a lower excess.

Good grief that is a good price. I was 23 in an FPV Super Pursuit with no modifications that they knew about and my insurance was $2890 + an excess of $2500. That was with the RACV though.

Having said that it was 4 years ago.

p.s. I am now 27 and paying over $2000 on my 2011 SR5 dual cab hilux. Does this sound like the RACV is giving me a prostate exam using a baseball bat?

p.p.s I have never had an accident or made a cliam and never had a speeding fine or drink driving.....

Plow King

Little bit.
Good grief that is a good price. I was 23 in an FPV Super Pursuit with no modifications that they knew about and my insurance was $2890 + an excess of $2500. That was with the RACV though.

p.s. I am now 27 and paying over $2000 on my 2011 SR5 dual cab hilux. Does this sound like the RACV is giving me a prostate exam using a baseball bat?

p.p.s I have never had an accident or made a cliam and never had a speeding fine or drink driving.....
Yep that certainly does sound abit steep... I would do some shopping around if I were you

Plow King

Little bit.

Yep that certainly does sound abit steep... I would do some shopping around if I were you

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter

that's pretty damn cheap, it's an 05 model isn't it??

was about to buy a 2008 lib gtb auto wagon, cheapest insurance I could get was $1600, 24 year old, full liscence, buying car outright, never had an insurance claim, never lost a demerit point. RACV (who is my current insurer) wanted $2380, as I'm under 30 driving a turbo car and high risk, even insured in my parents name, 55, never had a claim it was $850 a year!

my stock standard 2004 commodore wagon, cost me $500 full comp insured for 7k lol. Doing pretty well on the agreed value in that.

Insurance is a damn joke these days.

mine was a actually due today, they upped my premium by almost $200 (500 to 680) from last year, called up. 30 seconds later, dropped to the same as last year!!
They prey on people not questioning price rises.

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
for the car shows

I know it's not a car but.......... nearly finished the resto on the scooter to go on the back of the ute for shows. Just need some chrome nuts,olskool grips, kickdeck rubber and some nice valve caps. Next resto is the Malvern star dragstar.............

Attachments