Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fair enough. Seems compliance is quite a bit more difficult than in QLD. I just had to get a modification plate for my car (civic with engine/trans swap, brake swap, cage etc etc) and it was as simple as taking it to an engineer for a look over, paid him <$100, and left with a 'legal' car.

Considering a Honda powered lotus as a future project, not sure when the time will come though...... but a friend just bought a 260 Cup and is putting bad ideas in my head. The S/C 2zz is a rocket.
I was under the impression mod plates can get pretty expensive in QLD. I only called one guy but he had a flat charge of 100 plus 50 for any modifications. Sort of gave me the impression that if I change 10 things on my engine then they are all charged seperately. Plus tyres, exhaust, gauges, etc. etc.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not really the typical post in here but I didn't think it was worth making a separate thread. My car (2004 Subaru Liberty 3.0RB Wagon) has a McIntosh Stereo. The speakers are actually fairly good, but it has a shit cd player that gets condensation in it and skips like a bitch until the car is warm (takes like 20 minutes or more).

How difficult is an aftermarket headunit install in a car like this? Ideally I would like a touch screen double-din sized one in place of the current stereo - I just dont want one of those fuck ugly din sized ones with green LEDs and shit. I found a fascia plate to suit double din that integrates the hazard light button on eBay for $100, and think I could get a head unit for $400 or so - so ideally if I could do it myself I could do it for like $550 or so... Which would be worth it, especially considering I would get an AUX input and Bluetooth with it. Am I up to the task if I set aside a weekend?

Or should I just get some desiccant out of a shoe box and tip it in my CD slot?
Just get a double din that pops in and out on start and stop so you don't have to replace the facia. Installing head units is pretty easy but unless you know what you doing its easily worth paying someone 80 bucks. I'm not familiar with your car but if you have to take the dash out to fit its definately worth getting someone else to do it.

redbruce

Eats Squid
With regards to the condensation... I hadn't actually thought of that. It is a very well documented issue with this stereo but not in other Liberties with different stereos. I think it might be that it just accumulates from condensation in the air and the laser is very sensitive to it? Rather than an issue with the car not being water tight haha.

I'll check out the forums for sure. Its just that they do have a bit of a habit (in my experience) of drastically understating the work required on DIY jobs.

A built in HDD would be nice, but I get a lot of my music from Spotify and radio apps, so I would still probably be using the aux/bluetooth fairly often.
McIntosh was fairly hi end in its day. Have you cleaned the CD with a cleaner disk?

The lasers get dust accumulating on them and the dust soaks up moisture.

As for an AUX in, there is a guy in Geelong that mods OEM audio to provide that facility. He is on the Just Commodore forums.

Other thing would be to see if there is better version in an up market model like the GT B spec. My sons mate has one and the stereo is pretty good.

Last edited:

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone have any experience with installing china engine oil coolers?

Something similar to this
http://www.enginebasics.com/Engine Basics Root Folder/Images/oilcooler2.jpg

Basically my problem is that its not sealing properly where the adapter connects to the oil filter.

This rubber seal isn't sealing effectively.
oil_cooler_parts.jpg

Basically I want to know if this is something that just happens when you buy cheaper auto parts or should I just apply a little more torque and see if it seals? the reason I didnt go over the top was I didn't want to risk threading the oil filter mount on my car. I'm going to have a fiddle with it now.

chaos99

Likes Bikes
Does the adapter have a rubber seal on both sides?
The oil filter should contact a flat metal surface not a rubber seal.

I have used these adapter in the past with no problems.

Basically my problem is that its not sealing properly where the adapter connects to the oil filter.

View attachment 299209

Basically I want to know if this is something that just happens when you buy cheaper auto parts or should I just apply a little more torque and see if it seals? the reason I didnt go over the top was I didn't want to risk threading the oil filter mount on my car. I'm going to have a fiddle with it now.

rollingrambo

Likes Dirt
I have a couple of projects on the go
First is actually my wife's bf mkll xr6 turbo ute, gathering bits for it at the moment, so far we've got 60lbs injectors, 12psi actuator and an f6 intake. Will still do cooler, cat and send it in for a tune

I don't even know what this is but it was a 49cc pull start and we put a 110cc pit bike donk with a 4 speed in it. Was put together about 6 years ago and i still havent checked to see if it has oil in it.
Done some naked riding on this badboy

And lastly a 1948 bsa. Not sure whether this will just be a mancave ornament or to get it going again

Haylex

Likes Dirt
I was under the impression mod plates can get pretty expensive in QLD. I only called one guy but he had a flat charge of 100 plus 50 for any modifications. Sort of gave me the impression that if I change 10 things on my engine then they are all charged seperately. Plus tyres, exhaust, gauges, etc. etc.
It depends who you see. I had one engineer tell me exactly that, but then another guy did the whole lot (5 codes + plate) for the price of the plate only. Im pretty sure it was about $80. Given it only took him 15 mins to look over the car, I think he just pumps them out and its more profitable for him that way, instead of over quoting and getting less business. Hes putting his name on the line though, so he doesn't let dodgy cars slip through - has to be pretty legit.

If you were in Brisbane i'd give you his details

re: sandwich plate, it should go [motor -> sandwich plate seal -> sandwich plate -> oil filter seal -> oil filter]

Last edited:

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
I don't even know what this is but it was a 49cc pull start and we put a 110cc pit bike donk with a 4 speed in it. Was put together about 6 years ago and i still havent checked to see if it has oil in it.
Done some naked riding on this badboy

That thing is exactly the right amount of sketchy. Looks like a heap of ridiculous fun.

And lastly a 1948 bsa. Not sure whether this will just be a mancave ornament or to get it going again
If the BSA is salvageable that would be pretty wild. Building up an old bike is on my list of project vehicles to do over the years.

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
We had one of those mini bikes growing up, as a matter of fact I still have the rear wheel from it.....I think ours had a lawnmower engine and was of course a centrifugal clutch.....wow that's going back a while now......

binner

Hath shat hymself

View attachment 299209

The seal is usually on the filter not the adaptor, use a lil grease on the rubber seal before screwing on , I screw mine on by hand then the last turn I do is with both hands and that usually does the trick.....

rollingrambo

Likes Dirt
That thing is exactly the right amount of sketchy. Looks like a heap of ridiculous fun.

If the BSA is salvageable that would be pretty wild. Building up an old bike is on my list of project vehicles to do over the years.
It is ridiculous haha. It's got no brakes either so chuck it into 1st at any speed. Will also throw you off the back going into 4th if your not careful.
I think I'll get someone to look at the bsa first as it i missing a few bits. Be cool just to get it going again and not paint it or anything

MacMan

Squid

I rebuilt the engine in my Disco and installed something similar to allow installation of a secondary oil pressure and oil temp sender. It worked insofar as I could install both, but was only oil tight for the first couple of thousand KM. As soon as I started changing filters, the slightest disturbance of that sandwich adapter made the leak worse. Mine was bought from an Australian eBay seller, but a replacement seal was going to cost more than a replacement kit. Eventually I pulled it made what I should have made the first time out of brass. Complete waste of time and money.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Make sure the thread isn't bottoming out before you have adequate tension on the rubber gasket.

binner

Hath shat hymself
The zombie wasn't sounding right yesterday whilst giving it some so I pulled the engine this morning, took about half an hr :thumb: found several issues.... Welds have given up, loose plug, rear main seal leaking and a pushrods tube bent..... So more work to be done to fix the issues....

Last edited:

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Girlfriend and I just got the wheels off the Sandman back from the painter, pretty happy with how they turned out.
IMG_8686.JPG

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This work for anyone? [video]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152319662167414[/video]

Spent some time helping a good mate get to this point in his build with his hilux. She's almost ready to atleast be driven around the block