Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
^^^^^ gotta be wrong seal, WCM is perfect fit all the time....I've been using them for over 20 years in restos without drama... Always good to warm up seals in the sun to give them some stretch, once they are in they can't split.
Had a good stretch in ~35 degrees today, once it was in it was fine (slut to do though) but then at some point its just snapped. Will take the whole thing in on Tuesday and ask for a replacement with the correct seals, these ones have to be too small, the glass is larger than the whole seal and we're talking 3 hands pulling to stretch it over the glass.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Had a good stretch in ~35 degrees today, once it was in it was fine (slut to do though) but then at some point its just snapped. Will take the whole thing in on Tuesday and ask for a replacement with the correct seals, these ones have to be too small, the glass is larger than the whole seal and we're talking 3 hands pulling to stretch it over the glass.
It shouldn't be that hard, putting seals in glass is alone man job, putting seals in the car is a two man job......

You must have been given wrong seals......

binner

Hath shat hymself
Burnt clutch

Yup, burnt the plate, flywheel side has plenty of meat, pressure plate side is almost to rIvets......

binner

Hath shat hymself
Used

Hey Binner what shops do you use to get Genuine VW stuff for your T2?
I used 'just kampers', and I've see 'The bus stop' but what are other good shops to checkout ??
Don't want to buy crappy Brazilian Parts only want Genuine German parts or Equivalent. :)
Cheers Mate.
Hey mate,sorry bout the late reply...... I used justkampers a lot and sometimes Das Resto on the Gold Coast. Most of my engine gear came from Cip1 and Scat in the US.All my rubbers n such comes from West Coast Metric.

What you got going on with restos?

brindog

Likes Dirt
Cheers mate, I'll have to check them out.
Cleaning up dads 78' T2 with new seals and interior bits, and I'm currently saving for a <66' Beetle which I'll more than likely need to fix up when I get one. Hopefully have one this time next year which can be my 'in-between jobs daily drive'. (0\!/0) :D

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Pre 67 is the only way! We did have a '72 super as well, when it was totaled we needed another dub and the earlys are too nice to go past.

I'm off now to get my seals replaced, went to our vw mechanic and showed him the split seal, he assured me it would be a replacement job and had to be wrong seals. Hopefully the new ones go on nicely first go and I don't have any more dramas, by the weekend the whole car should have glass and be completely sealed up.

brindog

Likes Dirt
So true! They just have all the curves in the right places, those porsche head lights and nicest dash with no plastic.
There is a really nice looking 62 on gumtree at the moment, but I needed a new bike so I'll have to wait. :(

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Bike>car. Just got seals replaced free, manufacturing fault. If you're in the Sydney area Boris at vintage vee dub supplies is a champion.

Mmm, front fenders have those lines the later bugs just don't have. I've always thought a bug is post 67 and a beetle is pre. Picked up our '60 for 800 with a day worth of rust repairs and little damage anywhere but front end. Floor pan has holes but not even the size of 5c coins, laughing. Heater channels are mint, couldn't believe it, gimme 6 months she'll be on the roads.

EDIT: Took back two seals, got two seals, one was too big. God hates me.

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
A fool

Did something stoopid yesterday and layed down Alu strips on the tray. Looks like crap and I should really be posting this in "fuckwit confessions" for such a cock up.
There are some before polishing and after polishing shots, kinda looks a bit better after polishing but I am still not happy.
First 2pics are after polish and the last one is before polishing...... Ughhhhhh

Attachments

advanti

Squid
My current project.
Not doing much to it but making it look nicer and 100% carpeting the rear and a few other little things.
Progress is on hold for a few months because Im out with a shattered elbow. :(
Anyway a couple of pics of my Transporter. Shes got the Twin Turbo engine with DSG and I love it.

Tinted her up straight away. 20% front and 5% rear.

Alpine unit with muli-view camera, gps, bluetooth and all that other palava that makes life easy.

Royal Nasho cruises...

Colour coded bumpers, mirrors and door handles.

100% coverage dynamat rear. Will do cab when my elbow heals.

BMW Alloys :thumb:

How she's sitting atm :chuncky:

Peace!
Looks real good keen to see the progress with this one!

binner

Hath shat hymself
I like em man, what don't you dig about em? New windows going in the beetle now, getting me worried about putting chrome around my windows haha
It's kinda growing on me now after a day, but I have learnt one lesson. Whilst it was out in the sun today baking I leant on the strips to chat to my neighbour and fuck me did it burn my arms! I swore and cursed abit and thought why the fuck did i put Alu on my tray.....:decision:

To answer your question in the other thread, the extra belt is an air con unit. It comes out of the vw emblem you see on the cab floor, full force one outlet of super cold air. :clap2: I gotta look cool and keep cool....... :rockon:

Attachments

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
Hook me up

Ohh and if any of you guys know of or see one of these for sale let me know, im not after a restored one just a junker to fully restore....next project is due....

Attachments

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Ahh thought it might have been ac. I'll stick with quarter vents till next summer... Pretty tidy with the emblem outlet, I like it. Have thought about it, using the stock heater channels in the beetle, sounds like a lot of work though.

Windows didn't go in, went for a quick spin on the big rig instead, nice having fun in something that's already finished rather than look at what needs doing still. Gunna try and get the new seals on the glass inside instead.

Futile

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm working on an old 1970 mercedes 200 at the moment.

I got wheels for it as well, BBS RS' in 16x12 -28 rears and 16x9.5 -8 fronts. Just finished rebuilding them :D

Will post up some pics ASAP

brindog

Likes Dirt
What years you looking at with the Variant binner? There is a nice looking green 1970 one on car sales atm.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Any vw guys got any knowledge to drop on getting the inner scrapers in on the door windows? They just bend or slip out, 2 hours work and I've got one clip in...

EDIT: Just got on a roll, two of em in a row, gotta squeeze the shit out of em with pliers then pull hard until your fingers are pissing out blood. Just started pouring down, hating the rain without a shelter to work on the car

EDIT II: Sun! Then anger, messed it up, but I had faith in my cable ties and they do a better job than the actual clips, bitch to do trying to hook a cable tie up without being able to see it with about 1.5" to fit my hand but I fucking got it. windows in tonight if i can get to bunnings in time...

Last edited: