Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I usually average about 7.5L/100km on the highway in my 91 Mk2 GTI, but coming down the Blue Mountains back to Sydney I regularly get down to 4.5-5L/100km. Combination of engine braking and neutral the whole way. Feels good man :biggrin1:
The mountains are made for neutral, just ask stirk about his Toyota that comes on full boost in neutral.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Shredden

Knows his goats
Some of you guys might have seen the thread I posted asking for advice on inspecting a used car. I ended up buying it! It's not necessarily a project car as such but I'm definitely going to be doing some mods to make it a little more capable offroad, while still being able to drive long distances in comfort.

Here it is! Its a 1998 100 Series, Manual, Dual Fuel. 270,000kms. I paid $6500, probably about $6800 by the time I flew to Sydney and drove back, paid for a compression tester and stuff. It is in pretty great condition, front bumper has a ding on the passenger side and some broken clips but it looks like it has never been offroad at all. Hardly any scratches underneath and very clean inside. It passed roadworthy without needing a single repair!

13977873_1673832222937934_137965905_o.jpg

I'm taking it to get registered on Tuesday. Yesterday I spent the day installing a Pioneer double din touchscreen head unit I already had in the cupboard from my previous car. I wanted the Bluetooth phone and music stuff - as well as a display for the reversing camera when I get one. Sounds surprisingly good with the stock speakers.

I don't want to go crazy with the mods, I'm not a fan of the fully loaded tourer look, plus I live in the middle of the city and still have to drive it in traffic every couple of days... Immediate mods are working out a way to bolt up the hi-lift and shovel I have to the spare wheel carrier, possibly a jerry can as well - although 20 litres extra of petrol won't get me far it might be enough to get out of trouble. I have the stock fuel tank plus about 95 litres of LPG, which I'm hoping should be enough for the sorts of places I'm planning on going around Victoria.

Following that, just as I can afford it, I want 33's, 2" lift, big light bar across the roof. Also want to remove the nudge bar and spotties from the front, and mount a winch behind the stock bumper (looks like a lot of work but its a dream for over summer when I have some spare, access to a second car and some weekends with the boys who are good with fabrication stuff)

So stoked! I absolutely love this car.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
100 Series looks tidy Shredden, Is it IFS or solid front axle?

I may have got carried away and bought this (engine and box) for one of my cars:

stirk

Burner
Solid axle. It handles... differently to my last car (Gen 4 Liberty Spec B 3.0L). Definitely poo'ed a little the first time I hit a bump mid-corner!
Sports wagon it ain't, capable of transporting 4 goats in the back it can. Nice one.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shredden, are you sure you bought the right car? If it's a 100 series it's IFS, it's the 105 that's live axle...
Welcome to the club though, the 2UZ will send you broke within a year on fuel costs alone.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Shredden, are you sure you bought the right car? If it's a 100 series it's IFS, it's the 105 that's live axle...
Welcome to the club though, the 2UZ will send you broke within a year on fuel costs alone.
Sorry for the confusion, for some reason I'm in the habit of calling it a 100 series. Suppose it's too generic.

It is definitely a 105 series GXL. Solid axle, with the 1FZ-FE engine.

binner

Hath shat hymself
surfer

......so i had to add a few creature comforts, installed a DVTV receiver and drop down DVD player whilst waiting for engine build parts. Just dropped in a bigger donk build,
2056cc , mild cam, cromo pushrods, slip fit 96mm biral piston cylinder kit. cranked my compression to 8.9:1.

will post some pics later.... time for another dyno tune....

Shredden

Knows his goats
First drive offroad in the cruiser last night, so so much fun. It was muddy which was a struggle at times on the road tires, but overall I was seriously amazed how capable it was offroad. Did smash off the trailer plug and squashed my muffler tip a little though - gonna cut the exhaust down a little bit and relocate the plug a little higher. Mate who was out with me in a lifted forester ripped his exhaust off from the diff back though so I think I got out of it better off! I think 33's and a 2" lift will be good for first mods... it didnt feel great dragging the gas tank through ruts.

#1 pants shitting moment was definitely starting to slide sideways on a steep muddy descent. Managed to turn into it full lock and floor it to rotate around straight but its fkn scary!

hazza6542

Eats Squid
vee dubs and land cruisers, you guys are killing me. I gotta finish one so I can buy the other!

2" and 33's is good. A mate has tackled some pretty hairy climbs in his 80 with the setup, the only blokes that made it up were heading I'll modded, fr different lock bigger lifts 35's but he damn near got it, everything else was a breeze, you'll love it.

Binner, engine pics! I think my plan now is a 1916cc tuned for daily with enough balls to cruise at 110 and surprise a few commodores but nothing stupid fast. Apparently aiming for 110-120hp. Should be plenty.

In my attempt for completely stereoless looking interior I've got the tweeters behind the bamboo headliner, still great sound but hidden, main door speakers hidden with thin metal bar across material to protect from knees and and amp under the rear seat. Seems silly though, head unit has rca leads up a pillar, through roof down b pillar into floor to the amplifier, and then the speaker wires runs back the same way to the dash then down into the doors!

Edit: finally went through with this, only be on for 6 months because of ludicrous price.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
100 Series looks tidy Shredden, Is it IFS or solid front axle?

I may have got carried away and bought this (engine and box) for one of my cars:

Good luck putting fuel in that pig..... I'm getting 20L/100km in the city from an LS3 6.2!

Does the VF SS motor run on E85?

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Welded the new pan half into my beetle today. A huge milestone for me as it's taken a long time to get to this point and means (aside from a few smaller welding jobs) I can start putting things back together instead of taking them apart.