Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Try another gauge in it, it should be knocking like shit if it's going down to 0psi and the oil light should come on, most oil lights work when the pressure gets to under about 5 psi. It wouldn't hurt to change the oil and filter, check the oil pump and pump pickup. Failing that I would assume it has big clearances in the bearings.
Would be nice to think this is a sensor issue and not a true loss of pressure. Had a VDO gauge and sensor apart years ago, gauge was a basic current meter, the sensor changes its resistance to ground with pressure and there was no voltage regulator in the gauge, so it is susceptible to the battery voltage. I investigated this after a mate asked "why does my oil pressure drop when I turn on the spotties?"

Makes we wonder, what's the alternator/battery doing at idle? Got a good earth connection between block and battery?

Binner, can you tap in a mechanical gauge at the block for a sanity check?

binner

Hath shat hymself
thanks bloke

Try another gauge in it, it should be knocking like shit if it's going down to 0psi and the oil light should come on, most oil lights work when the pressure gets to under about 5 psi. It wouldn't hurt to change the oil and filter, check the oil pump and pump pickup. Failing that I would assume it has big clearances in the bearings.
cheers dude,
i figured it should sound like it going to shit itself when it "loses" pressure but it just sounds as normal. Im going to pull the drain plug and check the pick up tube and pump i guess.....

binner

Hath shat hymself
Would be nice to think this is a sensor issue and not a true loss of pressure. Had a VDO gauge and sensor apart years ago, gauge was a basic current meter, the sensor changes its resistance to ground with pressure and there was no voltage regulator in the gauge, so it is susceptible to the battery voltage. I investigated this after a mate asked "why does my oil pressure drop when I turn on the spotties?"

Makes we wonder, what's the alternator/battery doing at idle? Got a good earth connection between block and battery?

Binner, can you tap in a mechanical gauge at the block for a sanity check?
thanks for your thoughts dude,

its gotta be something simple because previous to me pulling the engine to clean up a bit it was working fine. the only change I made was to lengthen the oil adapter sensor plug the taps into the block. So now i have 2 of these screwed together which has the VDO sender on top and the standard VW oil pressure sender tapped on the side.....

Attachments

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Binner would you say having gauges is necessary on a performance air cooled? I like the subtlety of a clean dash but figure with a built motor it's more function over form.

Not much work this week but the stereo wiring is finished and sub is ready to go in. Again, I like subtle. Can't see a single speaker in the car, 1000w off amped speakers and nobody would ever know. Guess it's especially good considering how easy these things are to get into.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

slowmick

38-39"
Binner would you say having gauges is necessary on a performance air cooled? I like the subtlety of a clean dash but figure with a built motor it's more function over form.

Not much work this week but the stereo wiring is finished and sub is ready to go in. Again, I like subtle. Can't see a single speaker in the car, 1000w off amped speakers and nobody would ever know. Guess it's especially good considering how easy these things are to get into.
love your work. :thumb:

binner

Hath shat hymself
give me more

I rely on gauges too much sometimes. My engines that are built are all hi compression, big bore blarghh blsrghh. I like to know whats happening all the time and do find that I become "obsessed" with checking them on long drives . I think for a standard 1305, 1500, 1600 I walnut bother as long as yr idiot light, gen light are working then you are sweet. I like clutter as long as its neat clutter.

binner

Hath shat hymself
im a baja boy now

today i scored this out at Warwick. Wow, so many part, it was a "you buy the baja you have to take it all" kinda deal..... the ol Triton was sitting low after I filled er up, back seat included. I still have to go back and get the rest that's in the shed, it was packed about half a mtr high when he opened the doors. I loaded up the baja with gearboxes and bits n pieces. Got a spare chassis tyres, about 18 cylinder heads, fan housings, generators,about 8 cases, about 8 gearboxes, 1 recond kombi box (thats going in the baja) and a sweet AS41 bare case for engine build, full fiberglass baja kit that isn't even drilled yet! and so much more .......
I am STOKED! :plane:

Attachments

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
love your work. :thumb:
Cheers, makes it worth it.

All finished, sub screwed into the wooden base of case, all wiring in and out of case cut to length. Spent the rest of this afternoon struggling to pull the rca cables through the roof but it's done, wiring is officially all replaced, cut and finished, thank fuck.

Will get some shots with the sub in tomorrow.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I rely on gauges too much sometimes. My engines that are built are all hi compression, big bore blarghh blsrghh. I like to know whats happening all the time and do find that I become "obsessed" with checking them on long drives . I think for a standard 1305, 1500, 1600 I walnut bother as long as yr idiot light, gen light are working then you are sweet. I like clutter as long as its neat clutter.
I'm bailing on a cruiser for now, decided against two cars for a while and dumping all the money into a 1915cc daily. Thinking up ways to build a hideaway gauge cluster, maybe gauges to the right of the speedo but making a hinge for the original plate so I can quickly check the gauges and then go back to stock look. If they're illuminated then might be able to see through grill at night. That engine is probably still well over 6 months away. I'll build a bike eyes closed but an engine is still a big learning curve for me.

bennyp1

Likes Dirt

What a great idea for a stealth install. I'm curious as to how much the bag will flap around, but worst case you can open it when in use. Why did you run the RCAs through the roof rather than the floor?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
What a great idea for a stealth install. I'm curious as to how much the bag will flap around, but worst case you can open it when in use. Why did you run the RCAs through the roof rather than the floor?
My Subaru has cables running through the floor. It's a clean install, at least it was. Other people don't respect my car, the amp and wires have been kicked around so many times, destroyed rca cables, just gets annoying. Also meant no drilling new holes, and without a full carpet kit you'd be able to see rcas and speaker wire running down the front 'firewall'.

As for the flaps, testing today, some wooden supports inside should fix if it's unbearable but yeah, pop it open until I find something better.

Editing in, fitted up and powered, Christ it's loud. Wouldn't need to go over 50% volume, but screw how loud it is, the clarity is stupid. Beetle is tiny, big stereo is overkill but damn I'm happy.

Last edited:

MARKL

Eats Squid
My Subaru has cables running through the floor. It's a clean install, at least it was. Other people don't respect my car, the amp and wires have been kicked around so many times, destroyed rca cables, just gets annoying. Also meant no drilling new holes, and without a full carpet kit you'd be able to see rcas and speaker wire running down the front 'firewall'.

As for the flaps, testing today, some wooden supports inside should fix if it's unbearable but yeah, pop it open until I find something better.

Editing in, fitted up and powered, Christ it's loud. Wouldn't need to go over 50% volume, but screw how loud it is, the clarity is stupid. Beetle is tiny, big stereo is overkill but damn I'm happy.

Love the suitcase sub Hazza, it is awesome. If it starts flapping around you could reinforce it with fibreglass and MDF to to come up with something that sounds good.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Love the suitcase sub Hazza, it is awesome. If it starts flapping around you could reinforce it with fibreglass and MDF to to come up with something that sounds good.
No flapping, came out well, so bloody loud you can't hear it move, or when it's turned down its not hitting hard enough to move the case.

stirk

Burner
No flapping, came out well, so bloody loud you can't hear it move, or when it's turned down its not hitting hard enough to move the case.

Sooo, I'm having a party at my place next weekend, can you bring your car?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Only thing that made it better, turns out I'd hooked up the mids and tweeters to the headunit not the amp, so it's even louder than I thought. Tuning the gain properly though, same volume but quality is even better again.

Got some welding done today by a mate, no more stupid aftermarket mirrors that hit the quarter vents, on the hunt for some swan neck Alberts mounted at the end of the chrome down the side of the car. Even repro's going for ~$250. Waiting on the pedal assembly to arrive back from acid dip and powder coat, got lucky and found some parts 5 minutes away from my old mans place, which is on the way to the DH statey next week so couldn't be easier. OG red rear seats, some front rims that aren't stupid bloody 6" wheels, ash tray and some other pieces

Pretty much everything is there now, now it's just bolting it all in and getting it road ready. Soon as it's rego'd she gets slammed and some big discs on the front.

Anyone know process of getting number plates? Not going custom if I can't get RATSHT, do I get given some at blue slip or do I have to get some from the RTA?

stirk

Burner
Oh man, I reckon some young kid who needs a bloody haircut is probably gunna rock up with slab of pbr and throw up into your nice wicker chairs.
Haha, you've peeped over the fence!

RATSHT is not available but R4TSHT is or RAT5HT $448 per year for the privilege plus around $300 to get them made.

All you need to name, email and valid drivers licence, later when you rego the car the plates are then associated to the car in the RMS system.

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/order-personalised-or-custom-number-plate

Select custom from this page https://www.myplates.com.au/#/home

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Haha, you've peeped over the fence!

RATSHT is not available but R4TSHT is or RAT5HT $448 per year for the privilege plus around $300 to get them made.

All you need to name, email and valid drivers licence, later when you rego the car the plates are then associated to the car in the RMS system.

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/order-personalised-or-custom-number-plate

Select custom from this page https://www.myplates.com.au/#/home
It was available, I bought it then it got deemed offensive, so I'd say anything resembling SHT will get called off.

stirk

Burner
It was available, I bought it then it got deemed offensive, so I'd say anything resembling SHT will get called off.

And RMS is too lazy to remove all the other variants so you'd waste time going through the ordering process. I can believe that.