Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

Keeps on digging

Apparently it is different. needs a manual option though............
So I hear. And there was some “friction” between the bmw and Toyota engineers when the Toyota guys took the beemer engine back to Japan, did all their durability testing a and told bmw what they needed to do to meet Toyota requirements :)

Will probably be the best bmw engine ever!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
But it was the only way a new Supra was ever going to get approved. The reason for the BMW tie up is BMW wanted hydrogen fuel cell tech from Toyota and could only offer the new Z4 platform as a cheap way for Toyota to do the Supra.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
This from an Alfa owner.

I have had BMW's and Alfa's (both pre 2004) and BMW shits all over Alfa from any perspective. After 2004 both marques share disaster status.
I make no claims about the Alfa’s long term reliability...

Most of my Renault’s have been pretty good. Especially engines.

scblack

Leucocholic
So I hear. And there was some “friction” between the bmw and Toyota engineers when the Toyota guys took the beemer engine back to Japan, did all their durability testing a and told bmw what they needed to do to meet Toyota requirements :)

Will probably be the best bmw engine ever!
More engineering sharing: my next Amarok is going to be a Ford Ranger, or vice versa.

Hmmmm.....

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That is an oxymoron you know?
They have decent reputation in Europe for reliability. Yet again I suspect it’s hamfisted Aussie mechanics causing a lot of issues. Most parts are made by the same suppliers as most other euro brands...

Ask me again in 5 years. If we still have it...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
This from an Alfa owner.

I have had BMW's and Alfa's (both pre 2004) and BMW shits all over Alfa from any perspective. After 2004 both marques share disaster status.
My brother was dating someone with an E30 (I think) convertible shed had since new. Straight six.

Had 200K kms on it and I think had had maybe 3 oil changes. He took off the rocker cover and you could hardly tell if it was a single or twin cam - sludge city.

Still ran pretty well though! I’d call that a tough engine :)