Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
A little reminder to be careful...

Got a massive fright one day when I was a teenager doing something on the brakes of the paddock basher, soft dirt under the jack gave way -lucky I hadn't got my head in the wheel well... That lesson stuck - but looking at how I did the front strut replacement on the Megane today I think this is a good reminder to not get complacent. I had the front up on two trolley jacks under the sills, but no axle stands - naughty. I did slide the wheels under the front subframe and they would have caught the car and I didnt go under it all, but I should have put the axle stands under it anyway.

Kid I knew at school found his Dad dead under a car one sunday afternoon when he went to call him in for lunch.
I fire a rocket up the kids arses whenever I'm under the car and they're being dicks near it. Mrs George thinks I'm over-reacting, but I like my chest inflated and my head where it is.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I fire a rocket up the kids arses whenever I'm under the car and they're being dicks near it. Mrs George thinks I'm over-reacting, but I like my chest inflated and my head where it is.
I also find myself making sure Kirsty is home when I'm doing stuff under a car... Its good to have someone around to call the ambos - or the coroner. 1300kgs on your face can really mess up your day.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It’s that “one quick little job” that’ll get you.

I’m usually one to pride myself on being safe and sensible, todays trolley jack reliance was just slack... Proper practices resume now!!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Anyone replaced halogen projectors with HID ones? Kirsty got a ride in a friends new Honda with factory LED lights and come home and told me to make the Alfa lights that good...

Has just standard H7 halogen projectors - no good in themselves for HID of course, but the projector itself can be removed from the housing without having to separate the lens, so this "should" be easy...

These apparently are a direct fit - we will see.... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For...-For-BMW-E46-E39-E60-X3-Audi/32670291575.html

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Sigh. Might have to pull the Meg suspension apart again... Eibachs on soggy as hell old shocks rode reasonably well. Eibachs on quite firm new TRW gas shocks not so much...

It got Eibachs to cure the rolly polly handling it always had, suspect decent shocks would have sorted it if I'd twigged how shagged they were...