Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
So did the Integra Type R. So, so friendly on the limit.

Driven all the best FWD cars, loved all of them.
Integra certainly added a chapter. Frogs have been at it in earnest since the days GM products were leaf springs and drums all round... Citroen GS was an early example of what FWD could mean, and even the Traction Avant from the 1930s was favoured by crims as a getaway car for its handling prowess :)

Same for my favourite FWD car, the Cord 810. Glorious Deco masterpiece of engineering and design...

Last edited:

Beej1

The Renault guys are setting some impressive Ring lap times for 300 HP:
Speaking of Ring lap times, Google just decided I needed to know that the Tesla unofficially bested the Taycan's time by 20 secs. With traffic!

I had a feeling they knew they could beat it. Will be interesting to see how the apparently 2 upcoming timed sessions go.

Taycan still looks nicer.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Speaking of Ring lap times, Google just decided I needed to know that the Tesla unofficially bested the Taycan's time by 20 secs. With traffic!

I had a feeling they knew they could beat it. Will be interesting to see how the apparently 2 upcoming timed sessions go.

Taycan still looks nicer.
Sweet :) I reckon the flared big wheeled model s looked pretty damn mean...

Wonder how many laps those tyres would do? Mental amounts of torque to put down, and lots of mass to make change direction...

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...It's not HDPE (although it has a similar surface feel). It's some sort of industrial reinforced plastic, perhaps the sort of stuff used in hydraulic systems or linear bearing sliders or something like that. Anyone know? @Ultra Lord or @born-again-biker any idea?

Been using more and more of this stuff for various applications and have finally got to the bottom of what it is: a specialty formulation of ultra high molecular weight polyethelene (UHMWPE) called "Wearex". Other mobs make the stuff as well.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
This is an epoch and picture heavy, don’t read if you aren’t interested you will waste your time. The co-owner of the xr4 wanted to run in the 24 hours of lemons. Not my thing but happy to support. I know the car is worth bugger all but I was worried about damage to the car from hammering it for 24 hours and also from other cars / drivers as much as the need to concentrate for an hour plus at a time on a very pretty technical track (Morgan Park at Warwick). The rules of lemons are fairly basic and are aimed at restricting any serious machinery. Pretty much every car bent the rules of no performance modifications etc and the budgets were stretched. Our car was not the worst bender of the rules. One had at least $40k spent on it, mainly engine work. No semi slick tyres and there is a list of banned tyres as well as careful checking of everyone’s stash of tyres.

If you are thinking of entering this race to win, that is record the most laps in 24 hours, then get yourself a Polo diesel or similar. Fit coilovers and find 5 or 6 drivers who are prepared to run at 8/10 for their stint. Our crew just wanted to churn out some day and night laps and hopefully finish the event. A couple of our drivers had done the event several times and barely got past 4 hours.

Anyway the preparation:

We needed lights so I tapped a mate on the shoulder and Ironman sponsored us with a curved lightbar and electrical bits that suited the front of the car. Some led spots went in too. The rules stated that any lead batteries in the car needed to be in a battery box. Reckon Flow wrote that. I called and was told that being CAMS compliant doesn’t matter the battery needs to be covered, just get a Chinese takeaway container and silicon that over the battery. (!) I looked around and bought a box from Jaycar for $34 and fitted that instead. In a way this was a good thing because I found the battery isolator had arced contacts so that got changed too. I am probably going to fit a second seat to the car and the changes to the electrical system will make it easy to move the battery behind the passenger seat so nothing lost.

A series of light switches were added and these were lightbar, driving lights, auxiliary lights and zombie lights. We thought the uber light and illuminated Ford badge would be frowned on so those became separately switched as aux lights. The lightbar was mounted to comply with the height limits and the driving lights were pretty much useless. The halos around the driving lights became the zombie lights.

Test fit pic, wiring not yet tidied up!

Need not have worried, most cars ran faerie lighs and one Audi had the 4 rings of Audi submissiveness the full height of the car!

One of the other mods we did was to fit an air/oil cooler in series with the factory water/oil cooler. This meant making space under the bonnet. I relocated the computer and some other bits and made the needed space. Relocating the computer was a pain given the wires were just long enough for where it was and that the harnesses were plaited by a demented marching girl. That little exercise took a full day.

I took the car to scrutineering since I was responsible for most of the work. Very easy process except the scrutineer asked where the battery was since he expected to see a typical lead acid battery in a big black battery box. So I showed him. Why did you put that battery in a box? No need for that. Ah, well you guys told me to. Some more discussion and yes the guy I spoke to was wrong. We will fix that… Anyway cheap enough fix and it highlighted the problem with the isolator. What the hell is that in the back? The washer bottle, it didn’t fit under the bonnet any more and the cap was cracked so I made a new one...

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
So to the race.

First off the organisers were a great bunch of people. They had some good basic rules. If you spin, leave the track or touch another car come into the pits and head to the officials and self report. The idea being to make sure the driver had calmed down and understood to take it easier. Also if you had an issue with another team go to the officials, no punching on. If you don’t self report then expect to be called in and then have some form of penalty, laps deducted or time out etc.

Two hours were allocated for practice. The xr4 did a dozen or so laps with old tyres and then came into the pits for a check up. Some smoke was coming off the exhaust and there was a very minor oil weep from the relocated filter. Bugger, the filter was destroyed fixing that and we couldn’t find the source of the smoke. Expected it to be residual wash down on the heat shields and all good. Filters were left behind so a quick run to town for new filters. So no more practice laps.

Cars lined up ego first and we were at the back. First few laps were under safety car which was good because the xr4 had fresh rubber. We didn’t get a chance to scrub them in because of the oil filter weep. Car came in for a precautionary check over and no issues though the front brakes looked burnt. So lift and coast and give the brakes an easier time. We pulled the driving lights and left the gaping hole to feed air to the brakes. Brake ducts were something I was planning on but it was lost in the get as much light as we can…

First hour in and all good, second hour and still all good. Car was running consistent 1 minute 50’s and was at the pointy end passing all but three or four hard core cars. Brakes had cleaned up and pad wear was minimal. Tyres were good albeit just road tyres with no problems from the -4 degree of camber I set up.

Came into the pits and the smoke remained but not bad. Next driver went out and came back in several laps later, smoke in the cabin. Up on stands and we discovered that the flange joint between the extractors and exhaust had opened up, the shift cable grommet had popped out and was distorted from heat. And the cable sheaths were damaged. At this point I will mention that someone else decided to add an undertray and when I checked that it was bloody hot. We pulled the tray and discovered that the exhaust had been rubbing on body work and that was the source of the smoke. About an hour later with the exhaust and cable sheaths repaired and the grommet siliconed in out it went.

Car ran faultlessly until I went to bed at about 2 am. Got up at 5am to find the car came back in with the exhaust leak again damaging the shifter cables. New cables went in and more aggressive repairing of the flange leak. Found that the undertray had caused a rear mount to cook and the exhaust was hanging off the extractor flange and that and the bouncing broke the bolts. All fixed and out again. Then a few laps later full course yellows and yep the xr4 got towed in. I was fairly sure I knew what was going on. I went over the back to take some photos and the driver was hammering the xr4 back through the gears and you could hear the motor over revving.

Sure enough it threw a rod. The Duratec is a pretty decent motor but in stock form it doesn’t tolerate much more than 7,000rpm. Not an issue accelerating but if you throw it back rather than use the brakes then trouble is likely.

With 7 hours to go an engine change was on the cards. Yep we had a spare engine. 3 hours 50 minutes later and the car was back out on track and finished the race.

Observations. The undertray was dumb. The driving lights were pointless and brake ducts should have gone in. Take those two things away and the car would have not had those issues. And make sure when you tell your drivers to go 8/10s they can drive without hurting the car. Our driver’s best laps were all within a couple of seconds. Best night lap was 1’53.4” and best day lap was a bee’s dick under 1’50” which put it as the 3rd fastest car out there.

Finished with a stubbiness award for refusing to give up!

My respect for the organisers grew with a few talks and watching them in action. One car spent its life covering the racing line through corners and the middle of the track on straights. It was far from the fastest car and there was a lot of angst in other teams. It was pulled into the pits and grounded for 30 minutes with the whole team sitting in the scrutineering area like naughty schoolboys. They were still bad later because I think they had zero race craft. Another team were made to finish 5 jigsaw puzzles before they could resume racing because they were acting like pre-schoolers! And a couple of cars that were caught dive bombing were impounded for half an hour and then an hour to explain the error of their ways. Our crew didn’t have to self report and didn’t get called in. Three or four cars had battle damage and the blockers had body marks just about all around the car.

I still think it is a hard race on a car but it is an experience.

My job over the next week and a bit will be to replace the shifter cables and fit a new aluminium shifter (!!). Get the exhaust redone with the extractor joint further along the car and fit some brake cooling ducting through the fog light holes. The brakes were fine after the initial concerns and never faded. Oh and fit the Toyo R888Rs I bought for the Noosa Hillclimb and scrub them in.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Some race pics:

We need a new computer and harness, ok grab the road car's

Spun another driveshaft (this was running an R32 motor...)

This had a Golf GTi turbo 4 with bigger turbo and an intercooler than went from side to side

Valentino took time out of his busy schedule to be here

A buck's party, rear door wing makes Porsche's whale tail look inadequate, sadly the mounts failed from all the downforce and it sat flat most of the race. Door still had trims on it though I told them they needed a gurney flap, that went through to the keeper

This and a Silvia with big arse turbo were the only cars faster than our xr4 (just a couple of seconds so not much in it), battle damage from the blockers just moving over without looking. Again.

Moonrise over the pits

Lights everywhere

the xr4 at night

Last edited:

Brow

Big Block
Pretty cool coverage and racing. Not my cup of tea either, this endurance racing but I can appreciate the effort put in. Well done and congrats on the team ethics of not giving up with that engine change. Would not see that normally at this level of racing.
Le Mans Next?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
That 206 seems to have ground effects aero!

"yeah we brought a spare engine along" :D
And clutch, gearbox and diff, front struts in case mine failed, three sets of wheels, alternator, waterpump, power steering pump... there was a full box trailer of bits. Others brought whole cars on trailers! Didnt need tyres or brakes which was a surprise.

206 had lots done to it. Was a nice car. When ours was up on stands they came over to see what suspension it had because we were much faster through the corners. They thought we had fitted awd. Local performance place had a VS SS, fully built Harrop rear end. A bearing failed. Out and grab the stocker out of the spare car.

That silver GT4 was a Carlos Sainz edition. I wanted to load it on the car trailer and run away.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
For sure. Racing anything for 24hrs is hard. Bikes, HPV/Pedal Prix, cars. The 3am to 4am is always the hardest
I was snoozing at that time. I was impressed with the pits and the space allowed for camping. New facilities too. Best of all the tracks I have visited in the last few years.