Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Came across this last night. Very interesting. Good skills (much better than mine) on show if a little tedious in delivery in the individual episodes. I would have scrapped it!

Sad Alfa 105 with the Alfa 2L twin cam motor being rebuilt and repowered.

Obvious ish from the title:

Ferrari 360

Went hunting charcoal canisters today in an old school wreckers. Chose one from a month old outlander with negligible km. Front end completely munted. Saved about $200! Got the bracket too.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I needed to make a foot rest for the passenger in the XR4. At the moment I don't have access to the carport, which is full of undressed Nissan Patrol ute quasi comp truck, to do the drilling bit to fit the seat and harness or to do the welding bit for the rear harness mounts so I did the drilling and dimpling thing on some unsuspecting steel sheet for the foot rest. I will trim the rear length and finalise the angle once the seat is installed but the front and rear is pretty much done. The floor isn't quite flat so I will need to take that into account when fitting this. Three M6 button head screws front and rear should do the trick.

I was going to bend a return on the front to hold feet in place but that isn't needed because there is only about 30mm between the inside of the cage and the edge and similar distance to the console. Not sure if I will need a knee brace there yet but I can copy the driver's side one I made. I will hang some hand holds off the cage and supply brave pills for idiots um passengers who come with me.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Bit fancy!

After a couple of years sitting untouched I dragged my Laurel out of its hole, washed the dust and mould off it, then my mate picked it up to take it up to Bundy with him to finish it. I'd say it will still be a slow process, he's a busy man but feels good that it's getting some attention.

Now I can move one motorbike into the carport and make a bit more space for pushbike things.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Progress. Seat frames complete and just need priming and painting. Footrest trimmed and finished. Need to weld in the rear harness support which means borrowing the tube notcher again and window mesh support. Drill another few holes for the harness and remaining footrest holes. But... ...someone ran fuel lines that side of the car so no drillium until I can get under it and check positions. The top plates are done for the harness so I will bolt that on underneath and drill where I can to miss the lines and same for the footrest. No need for a centre brace pad so that is one fewer task. Have access to the workhop hoist this weekend so it will be complete and ready for the weekend after sprint.

Position is good and will work nicely. Fitted the Bendix brake pads and bedded them in.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Nothing phases Craig:

Always amazing fabrication & ingenuity. Watch more of these vids - recommended.

1. How good is that gearbox install, rear mount box with such a tremendous lever throw
  2. Now I know why so many cars have an obnoxious cold start noise!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
facebook memories reminded me of this fiasco from years ago. this vid is of the engine that came out after being run on 1L of oil.

pulled a working 5S-FE from a Celica, only to find it wouldn't work AFTER FITTING due to a slightly different timing system, no cam senor, only a crank sensor. dragged another 5S-FE out of a wreck on a 44 degree day that did work and ran another 100k km.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
First sprint of the year. Finished 10/60 (#2 son) and 12/60 (me) which is not too bad. 3rd or 4th in class. Beat the 86's except for two with superchargers and all the cars ahead of us ran slicks. The big guys weren't there though so the 900+hp R35 was absent and a couple of the better clubmans. There was a AM Vantage which sounded amazing but it wasn't suited to the short circuit at all. A VE SS with supercharged stroked LS3 was entertaining. One run before the track dried was pretty much lost in tyre smoke. Dried it out for us though. I had a Lotus spin on one corner lap before mine and I was surprised by the amount of debris he sprayed on the track. A bit interesting as I swept it clean.

We did a total 20 laps in two entries. 8 of my 10 were with a 14 yo first cousin twice removed (!) passenger who loved it. You are supposed to drive 8/10s with a passenger so most of the runs were fast ish rather than all out though still we stayed in overall position. The last lap though left nothing behind and was only 0.4 or 0.5 slower than my single times which were 0.5 behin my son's best. I also went for 7 or 8 laps with the second cousin driving her recently acquired stock cheapie Swift. It was as much fun pointing out lines and braking points even though the lap times were double. Really wish I knew about this stuff when my sons were that age. She did well and is growing in confidence, just needss to hone some of the basic skills before I let her drive the XR4. It brought back memories of navigating rally and off road racers. At least this time I wasn't scared shitless or end up with heavy harness bruising.

Spare seat and footrest worked beautifully and the tyres worked well at 29/26 pissies once the track dried out. The XR4 mightn't be anything special with the driveline basically stock but we never opened the bonnet or had any issues. Just jump in and drive it. Most of the others were tinkering and cooling with bonnets up between runs.

All in all lots of fun.

stirk

Burner
Oh yeah, 888 too.

My best riding buddy just picked up a pristine 916 for peanuts.
No shit the next time I picked up my phone is this, I'm DJ via Bluetooth at a party and these are the last two times I picked up the phone to work the tunes.

Screenshot_20200201-211622_copy_855x354.png

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
The 916 moved the goal posts.
It broke the mould. Reset the benchmark. Amazing, timeless bike.

I don't know what they're worth....?... but I would have assumed they were all silly money now?
Are there still cheap 916's around?