Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Why are you tackling the same job I am?

Except the new bushes I’m using have no external sleeve, I just have to get the old steel sleeve out of the beam...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Why are you tackling the same job I am?

Except the new bushes I’m using have no external sleeve, I just have to get the old steel sleeve out of the beam...
Just another “while it’s out” job - for this car OEM soft is preferable ;) At 240K kms the donor car bushes are not dead, but they’re not great...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
mechanics gloves - who uses them? sore and cut and scraped hands, and the black nitrile gloves dont stop the inevitable ouchies... might be time to try some, anything to consider when buying?

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Turns out the food dehydrator the hoarding neighbour left is the same size as the electric motor I'm putting in the car. Should go in nicely.

View attachment 360996
So many questions. What is the grey thing? A motor, or some kind of torque converter?
Why are the booster and master cylinder on the left? That must be a crunt of a linkage. How will you supply vacuum, and power the aircon compressor?

FigBo0T

It's a food dehydrator, dummy!
You sure it isn't a smoker? :rolleyes: I guess I misread the post slightly. There is plenty of room in that engine bay for a food dehydrator though, if that's all the room the motor takes. I'm thinking three steps ahead, see?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
So many questions. What is the grey thing? A motor, or some kind of torque converter?
Why are the booster and master cylinder on the left? That must be a crunt of a linkage. How will you supply vacuum, and power the aircon compressor?
Yes the grey thing is a food dehydrator the size of the axial flux motor I'm installing, and sitting roughly where it will be installed. It will mount directly on the drive shaft, no gearbox. I'll need to lengthen the shaft to make up for the removed gearbox.

No idea why the brake booster/cylinder are on the left but it won't matter because I'll just mount the electric brake pump right next to it. The aircon will be a reverse cycle electric unit, won't need a belt driven compressor.

@hifiandmtb that Porsche would be cool if it didn't have that stupid petrol engine.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
The motor tech is pretty nuts, I've been very lucky to get hold of the unit, you can't get this rig as a person off the street and what you can readily buy would be more than double what I'm paying to get similar performance.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yes the grey thing is a food dehydrator the size of the axial flux motor I'm installing, and sitting roughly where it will be installed. It will mount directly on the drive shaft, no gearbox. I'll need to lengthen the shaft to make up for the removed gearbox.

No idea why the brake booster/cylinder are on the left but it won't matter because I'll just mount the electric brake pump right next to it. The aircon will be a reverse cycle electric unit, won't need a belt driven compressor.

@hifiandmtb that Porsche would be cool if it didn't have that stupid petrol engine.
Brake booster being left on the left when they engineer a RHD version is super common, the megane and the Alfa are the same. On these, the engine in on the right so nowhere on the right for the brakes anyway - there is simply a beam across the inside of the firewall, no fancy linkages really.

Cars are not symmetrical.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Turns out the food dehydrator the hoarding neighbour left is the same size as the electric motor I'm putting in the car. Should go in nicely.

View attachment 360996
Did you get Doc and Marty's permission first tho?

I am curious, I know electric motors make max torque at zero rpm or near enough, but how fast do these axial motors spin to negate a gearbox?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Did you get Doc and Marty's permission first tho?

I am curious, I know electric motors make max torque at zero rpm or near enough, but how fast do these axial motors spin to negate a gearbox?
Funny you should mention BTTF, it's coming out of a converted Delorean.

This one only does 5000RPM, at 1:1 in my car it will be good for 150km/h. I'm not racing it so don't need a higher top speed.

Last edited:

FigBo0T

Funny you should mention BTTF, it's coming out of a converted Delorean.

This one only does 500RPM, at 1:1 in my car it will be good for 150km/h. I'm not racing it so don't need a higher top speed.
That adds a large dose of cool factor.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member