Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is a LOT of money in the world and the 1% that has most of it is still a pretty large amount of people. Shit like this happens all the time in a world where these are just old toys...
I get that, but a proper collection would be maintained by a squad of mechanics and detailers to at least be able to wander through to enjoy all for peanuts compared to the cost of the vehicle’s themselves.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I get that, but a proper collection would be maintained by a squad of mechanics and detailers to at least be able to wander through to enjoy all for peanuts compared to the cost of the vehicle’s themselves.
Another feature of the obscenely wealthy is that they don't really care about such things. Things like this are just spare change down the back of the couch for some...

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Why would you buy all these cars and just stick them in a shed never to see the light of day? 30 years in storage and the owner wants to sell them. Obviously hasn’t driven them or even looked at and sat in them at all in that time because of the way they are stacked and stored.

There's a property not an hour from here with a vehicle collection that spills out of the many sheds and out into the paddocks. Apparently, quite a few decent and expensive cars and trucks inside...

More stuff there now than in this image... including many combine harvesters for some reason.

stirk

Burner
Why would you buy all these cars and just stick them in a shed never to see the light of day? 30 years in storage and the owner wants to sell them. Obviously hasn’t driven them or even looked at and sat in them at all in that time because of the way they are stacked and stored.

This is really sad as cars like this were made to be enjoyed and leave more ordinary cars in their dust not locked up to gather dust.

Flow-Rider

Burner
This is really sad as cars like this were made to be enjoyed and leave more ordinary cars in their dust not locked up to gather dust.
It's probably the only reason why some tryhard Fangio driver hasn't wrapped them around a pole and people can still enjoy talking about survivor cars.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
14 years and 110Kkms old rubber brake lines - automatic replace while they’re out anyway? Physically they look perfect. Not something I’d thought about much if they had no physical signs of damage/deterioration...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Had a crack at this today - gave up when I realised the instructions are wrong. You need to disconnect the brake hoses to drop the beam. CBF'd doing all this in my driveway, it's not a necessary repair & it's our only car.

Instead, I reset the damping on the rear Konis (now two turns from open, was one - the Eibachs needed things turned up a bit) and worked out where the fuel filter was. Again, fiddly plastic fittings in a tight space means I'll get the mechanic down the road from work to swap it over. CBF'd breaking something.

Also need new tyres - rego due in two months (likely smack bang in the middle of the pandemic peak) so I'll need to sort that now & get a pink slip as early as possible.

Seems extreme to be thinking about these things but you can never be too careful.
I got the beam out anyway, but I thought pressing in plastic/nylon shelled bushes would be easy. Wrong... Got one in halfway and the bolt started stripping. Suspension shop charged $70 for 30min labour (ouch!) and tells me I was correct to not use any grease on plastic bushes, but a quick spray of brake cleaner was the trick. I totally should have worked that out given metho is good for getting silicon grips onto bars!!

MasterOfReality

After forever
I just serviced my boganmobile after a 10 year hiatus in storage. Brake lines looked remarkably good after 29 years and 150,000km. I left them as is. If I had more time I'd probably replace them but I cbf'd bleeding them again for now.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
They’re pretty manky... Still work ok and restore well though - you want them?
Wouldnt say no to be honest. A couple of projects in the pipeline and one has rear drums at the moment. If you are happy to hang on to them until things settle I will happily pay postage if you are ok to ship them north. That project needs a BMW K1100 RS head...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Wouldnt say no to be honest. A couple of projects in the pipeline and one has rear drums at the moment. If you are happy to hang on to them until things settle I will happily pay postage if you are ok to ship them north.
No worries. They’re 34mm piston TRWs. I’ve got a parts order coming soon from Germany soon - seal kits are about 5 euros a side if you want some :)