Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As someone who has been lucky enough to drive a 912 and quite a few 911s from a 2.2L 911T through to the brilliant 4.0 GT3RS ( and two different GT2s) the best thing I can say about the 912 is....

...where is that vomit emoji?
I’ve only driven a ‘78 911S targa, and thoroughly enjoyed it. If they’re all better than that, you’ve made me want a newer 911 even more.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The 912 was truly (to me) a bucket of bolts and the 911T not a whole lot better. I honestly preferred the beetle my mate had with the insane 2180 (?) Race motor.

Later versions with the 2.7 and bigger engines were a pleasure to drive. Albiet more than a bit scary on the limit. A brief run in a 924 turbo, 944 and then 928 made me wonder how Posche could get bits so right and bits so wrong. I drove a Macan turbo (?) before getting the M2 and that made me wonder about people's sanity buying fast ish suvs.

Then another mate gave me his GT3RS for a day west of Bris and I got over the engine hanging out the back and fell in lust with the thing. So fast, so capable, so practical. When he sold it I looked at options but at over $400k (Weissach package) pushed too far for someone unemployable. When I drove his GT2RS and the earlier GT2 I couldnt muster the same feelings. Both had an overpowered chassis and were too much car for the road (again just my opinion).

I wouldnt bother with any of the 911s other than the GT3RS. Better off with a cayman or boxster. I did dream of putting a 3.0 in a 914 but that wont happen either. Potentially the Cayman GTS is better again.

Sigh.

Edit, the 912 was a drive in the 90s, fully restored with better parts than original in the suspenders and engine. The stock ones would be worserer. I passengered in a 356C and it was very beetle like.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Early models were too narrow for the rear 3/4. I think 76 - 78 was a highlight in the shape, first turbo, 2.8RSR etc. The next couple of generations were bloated by comparison.

But you cannot beat an edsel. Well only if you have a pointy stick with nails in it.

Brow

Big Block
Early models were too narrow for the rear 3/4. I think 76 - 78 was a highlight in the shape, first turbo, 2.8RSR etc. The next couple of generations were bloated by comparison.

But you cannot beat an edsel. Well only if you have a pointy stick with nails in it.
And the stick is going to be the good looking of the 2!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A mate has an xr4 and is having issues with the central locking. I offered to get the actuators out of ours and see if i can fix his as we have no need of the system. Took the door cards off and there is an inner door card. 13 bolts and screws later and the card is still firmly on the door. Rang the mate and he tells me I have to pull the door glass out to get to three clips. No! I checked the factory manual and sure enough that is the case. Stuff that. He can do it himself. What a dumb idea.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
A mate has an xr4 and is having issues with the central locking. I offered to get the actuators out of ours and see if i can fix his as we have no need of the system. Took the door cards off and there is an inner door card. 13 bolts and screws later and the card is still firmly on the door. Rang the mate and he tells me I have to pull the door glass out to get to three clips. No! I checked the factory manual and sure enough that is the case. Stuff that. He can do it himself. What a dumb idea.
At least it unscrews - inner door panel on the Alfa is riveted in...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Wow! Love the GT3.

As we all know, you can't have too cowbell but you can have too much red. A red car with wheels with bronze or gold or silver if you really have to FTW.