Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yep, tried that. Catch is the seam of the two halves of the manifold that are bonded together are not accessible even with the tube on the carb cleaner can nozzle... Even did the hillbilly stethoscope with one end of a tube in an ear and the other fed under looking for the leak (I got really good at this learning to balance twin SU carbs back in the day...). It’s an elusive leak if that’s what wrong.
Can you plug it where it joins to the tappet cover? You should be able to check vacuum in the plenum with a vacuum gauge.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Can you plug it where it joins to the tappet cover? You should be able to check vacuum in the plenum with a vacuum gauge.
It’s a long seam along both sides of each intake runner (which are about 20cm each). It was all too hot and I was too demoralised to do this today, but if feeding (epoxy/silicone sealant/superglue - not decided yet...) into the seam doesn’t sort it im going to kick myself for thinking I was done and throwing out the other manifold and buy another one from my friendly Reno wrecking in Melbourne...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I can check vacuum with the laptop. It’s going up and down, and another thing is to plug it in again and watch the map sensor telemetry closer see how it tracks with revs and injector duty cycle. They all go up and down, the ECU is definitely trying to compensate and adapt and it just can’t keep up...

link1896

Mr Greenfield
It’s a long seam along both sides of each intake runner (which are about 20cm each). It was all too hot and I was too demoralised to do this today, but if feeding (epoxy/silicone sealant/superglue - not decided yet...) into the seam doesn’t sort it im going to kick myself for thinking I was done and throwing out the other manifold and buy another one from my friendly Reno wrecking in Melbourne...
Time for a smoke machine.

You can diy one easily.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Put some silicone along an underside seam on the manifold, put it back on and started it before the silicone had set. It got sucked in.

New manifold time... Guess I must have dropped it at some point over the last year it was off the engine.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
The French shitheap that keeps on delivering...
Cant really blame the car for this one... Geez I wish id kept the other manifold though :( Not the first time pushing back against my magpie tendencies (in an effort to reduce the amount of random crap ill never need accumulating...) has bitten me in the arse!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Cant really blame the car for this one... Geez I wish id kept the other manifold though :( Not the first time pushing back against my magpie tendencies (in an effort to reduce the amount of random crap ill never need accumulating...) has bitten me in the arse!
Give up on it and stick to not finishing a bike build.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The fun of old bmw electronics and software. Argh.

Long crank, runs for a second and stalls. Zero codes. She’s parked on the street, 200mm out from the vertical of the concrete gutter. Going to be a fucking blast getting under to replace the fuel filter/regulator that’s under the passengers feet. I might have jacked her up at 10pm, gotten the half acre of plastic splash guards off to find nothing on the RHS.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Old “modern” cars in general... 15-20 years ago is about when they all really got keen on electronics and plastic and things that make production lines cheap and efficient, but make the poor sod who is fixing it 15-20 years later want to cry...

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Old “modern” cars in general... 15-20 years ago is about when they all really got keen on electronics and plastic and things that make production lines cheap and efficient, but make the poor sod who is fixing it 15-20 years later want to cry...
Yep, 10 yo bmw, if you can’t fix yourself you’re screwed

The only saving grace, someone hacked the bmw dealer software a decade ago. It was written to connect to the factory before connecting to the chassis for licensing. Someone modified the software (probably a legit user fed up with a long wait for the Authentication process to succeed) . So all bmw DIYers have dealer level software.

I knew the e65 was a minefield. It’s why a car that sold for $260k new in 2006, is worth 20k now.

The fuel pump is driven by the satellite sensor b pillar right side. The primary function of the sbsr is air bag control. It’s vin coded to the chassis. The sbsr takes a control signal from the DME (ecu) and adjusts the speed of the fuel pump with pwm.

Very tempted to cut the wires to the pump and run off a battery to see if it can prime the system. Should add a secondary security system that cuts the fuel pump anyway.

Haakon

Keeps on digging

The only saving grace, someone hacked the bmw dealer software a decade ago. It was written to connect to the factory before connecting to the chassis for licensing. Someone modified the software (probably a legit user fed up with a long wait for the Authentication process to succeed) . So all bmw DIYers have dealer level software.

I knew the e65 was a minefield. It’s why a car that sold for $260k new in 2006, is worth 20k now.

The fuel pump is driven by the satellite sensor b pillar right side. The primary function of the sbsr is air bag control. It’s vin coded to the chassis. The sbsr takes a control signal from the DME (ecu) and adjusts the speed of the fuel pump with pwm.

Very tempted to cut the wires to the pump and run off a battery to see if it can prime the system. Should add a secondary security system that cuts the fuel pump anyway.
I have the same hacked software for the Renault - a Chinese made clone OBD interface and the “genuine “ Renault software suite running on an old XP lappy. No way I’d have been able to do my current project without it! Eg I used the ABS pump from the auto car in this one that’s a manual, and it threw a code because the ABS pump was looking for data over canbus from the auto ecu... I was able to reprogram the ABS pump and tell it that it was now in a manual car and to stfu. The abs pump is easy to replace with the engine out, otherwise it’s a nightmare as it’s buried on the firewall - half the top of the engine has to come off to get at it, AC degassed and low pressure pipe removed... not fun. Fine on the assembly line though I’m sure.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging

Also, respect for taking on a bangle ;) I assumed you’ve watched all the hoovie vids on it...

I quite like them.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
They have aged well. I have ask non car people to date it, they normally put it at 3-5 years old. Helps with 5 layers of ceramic coating.

I look at the new bmw offerings and think “Christ, if someone driving a bangle butt can’t find the appeal, you really are in trouble”