Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Filling the manifold with petrol? Driving the shitbox to Melb to make it idle?

Time to call it...
lol. It’s not that bad... Gotta try the programming procedure for the flywheel sensor first.
And just to be annoying my pos old lappy had its fan die... So I was putting it in the freezer between sessions, and sitting it on an ice pack
I'm with him.

If it was classic metal, or even classy metal, I'd say persevere.

But it's not, bin it, start again.
There’s only about 3 grand in it ( but a lot of time...) but it’s more than I just want to dump. Besides, as annoying as it is, my OCD won’t let a bloody machine outwit me!!

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I say keep going. There's something incredibly satisfying about that sort of problem solving and you are most likely pretty close to solving it. Double check wiring and connectors for damage, corrosion etc.

It may only be an old Megane but what you've done is far better for the planet than throwing it out and buying a new car.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I doubt he needs a (this) car anyway - not like it runs & drives! Seems to be getting by with a non-functional piece of crap so far.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I say keep going. There's something incredibly satisfying about that sort of problem solving and you are most likely pretty close to solving it. Double check wiring and connectors for damage, corrosion etc.

It may only be an old Megane but what you've done is far better for the planet than throwing it out and buying a new car.
I’ll figure it out eventually. Thankfully I don’t actually need it on the road anytime soon, so can chip away at it until the eminently satisfying Eureka moment. I have one more calibration procedure to run tomorrow and a new map sensor ordered, and if that doesn’t work I’m parking it for a while and letting my subconscious work on it while I play with my new bike (among a hundred other projects...)

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I doubt he needs a (this) car anyway - not like it runs & drives! Seems to be getting by with a non-functional piece of crap so far.
We have a nearly new car as well. Don’t really need two cars as we’ve discovered after both were written off in the hail, so can afford to tinker with this at my leisure.

Also, VW owners can’t throw too much shade on Renaults... ;)

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I’ll figure it out eventually. Thankfully I don’t actually need it on the road anytime soon, so can chip away at it until the eminently satisfying Eureka moment. I have one more calibration procedure to run tomorrow and a new map sensor ordered, and if that doesn’t work I’m parking it for a while and letting my subconscious work on it while I play with my new bike (among a hundred other projects...)
So it is a race between you and the rust!

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I'd forgotten my Sherco 290 is made by the Frenchies. So I do like something motorised and French. Indeed, it's been so reliable that I completely forgot its French-made. I have cracked a few Excel front rims but they're made by the Japanese.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Had a run on a Sherco when I was competing, preferred my hrc. Must be me.
We all have our preferences, and trials is definitely one of those sports where being comfortable on the bike is huge.
Was the sherco a bad bike or did you just not gel with it?

I can’t handle honda mx bikes but KTM and yamaha just seem to work for me.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Modern computerised cars... Got flywheel target programmed (accelerate to 4000rpn in third, coast down to idle and then accelerate again, sets the torque calibration in the ecu or something...) that cured 80% of the pinging it had (last 20% is 14 month old fuel...). Idle still wonky. Surges with the MAP sensor connected, drives well without it so hoping a new MAP will sort the idle.

An hour freaking out about an ABS ecu fault code complaining about an invalid injection multiplex signal. Turns out that was just the ABS ecu feeling some solidarity with the engine ecu and when the fault code for the unplugged MAP sensor was in the engine ecu the ABS pump also complained. I guess the ABS computer does traction and stability control and needs good engine telemetry...