Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
We all have our preferences, and trials is definitely one of those sports where being comfortable on the bike is huge.
Was the sherco a bad bike or did you just not gel with it?

I can’t handle honda mx bikes but KTM and yamaha just seem to work for me.
Bike was fine. Owner moved from a very lowly C grade bike to the Sherco and we swapped for a play. He was a bit whelmed by the change. I just wasnt comfortable. The hrc had more bottom end torque and the engine came on stronger but the Sherco had more oomph at the top. It was just a get used to it thing. Both bikes way more capable than me. I had spent many hours on the hrc by this time and it was the norm. Both bikes scared my mate who was used to 175cc of normal 2 stroke tune compared with nearly 300cc of trials tune. Sat my bike on its arse first run, ah let's not use 1st gear unless you are climbing a vertical wall.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Bike was fine. Owner moved from a very lowly C grade bike to the Sherco and we swapped for a play. He was a bit whelmed by the change. I just wasnt comfortable. The hrc had more bottom end torque and the engine came on stronger but the Sherco had more oomph at the top. It was just a get used to it thing. Both bikes way more capable than me. I had spent many hours on the hrc by this time and it was the norm. Both bikes scared my mate who was used to 175cc of normal 2 stroke tune compared with nearly 300cc of trials tune. Sat my bike on its arse first run, ah let's not use 1st gear unless you are climbing a vertical wall.
One day I’ll have a go on a trials bike. A new one anyway, my uncle has an old montesa cota that I’ve had a play on but these new sherco’s, gasgas’s and whatever else is around are next level cool.

Totally different to the 125mx’ers and big thumper enduro bikes I’ve owned, I’m sure I’ll make a fool of myself but that’s ok.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It was fun, just too much time to stay decent. Rock hopping with bursts of throttle were my favourite things. VW kombis are speed bumps, etc.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Brother had a Bultaco briefly back in the day. Gear and rear brake levers on the wrong side was my enduring memory..

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Haakon don’t give up now

Surely French ebay has a cheap megasquirt ecu with loom good to go? Then you can enable anti lag.

My own tale of woe drags on. Cut into the fuel pumps wiring loom and added a connector. Ran the pump from a spare battery. Pump isn’t priming. She was super low on fuel when this drama started, I’ve since poured in 40 litres.

Need my lovely assistant to hold down the Schrader valve on the fuel rail while pump is running to see if we get any fuel through.

Failing that, road side under lights fuel filter replacement here we come.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Haakon don’t give up now

Surely French ebay has a cheap megasquirt ecu with loom good to go? Then you can enable anti lag.

My own tale of woe drags on. Cut into the fuel pumps wiring loom and added a connector. Ran the pump from a spare battery. Pump isn’t priming. She was super low on fuel when this drama started, I’ve since poured in 40 litres.

Need my lovely assistant to hold down the Schrader valve on the fuel rail while pump is running to see if we get any fuel through.

Failing that, road side under lights fuel filter replacement here we come.
Id need a turbo to get lag in the first place... Hindsight suggests I should have parted out the wrecked one and jsut bought a Sport model... But before I broke all the bones it was a rather good little lockdown project I was quite enjoying. But all the delays and niggles made the project out stay it’s welcome - a year is a long time to have a partially dismantled car taking up the carport reminding you how much more work there is to be done on it!! I really needed it to just start and be ready for rego. Oh well.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Id need a turbo to get lag in the first place... Hindsight suggests I should have parted out the wrecked one and jsut bought a Sport model... But before I broke all the bones it was a rather good little lockdown project I was quite enjoying. But all the delays and niggles made the project out stay it’s welcome - a year is a long time to have a partially dismantled car taking up the carport reminding you how much more work there is to be done on it!! I really needed it to just start and be ready for rego. Oh well.
Sounds like you might need more than one can... :oops:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Must be a manual is it?

I don't use up much on my brakes, have to change tyres pretty regularly though... :oops:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Boring question time but @hifiandmtb what's the Polo's interior space like? I'm kinda looking at Fabia RS's which are a) almost the same thing and b) look a bit pacey. Plus I like the anti-wank factor of Skodas.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Space is ok, not great. Golf is rather larger. Thule roof racks transform what you can get done though!

I can fit the XL Ripmo in the car with only the front wheel removed but the front passenger seat isn't habitable.