Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
It's just a single project car. Stuff like this doesn't cause harm like soccer mums in SUVs.

How many km do you think this will be driven?
Project cars and suvs are both symptoms of the same problem: misdirected resources.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Screeching like a banshee about climate change and then being into this car strikes me as being a bit self defeating.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Yes and no (cue pathetic justification) the life cycle impact of stuff like high end supercars like Lambos, Ferraris etc. is actually not too bad once you factor in the obscene energy and resources that goes into every car and that these things tend to be babied treasured, do bugger all kms and tend to last for a long time*.

A high proportion of high end performance cars are still on the road, partly attributable to their value yes, but coupled with their mileages means the contribution they're making to climate change is nearly non-existent compared to the 800 million ****s in their 2.3 tonne SUVs.

*unless they catch fire. Which is seemingly unnecessarily common unless Porsche builds it.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
These types of cars are all 'extra' cars and by definition 100% unnecessary and 100% damaging on the planet. The fact that they are rarely driven only serves to illustrate what a total exercise in waste and excess these sorts of things are. They are a prime example of why the planet is stuffed.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Shouldn't we solely judge all CO2 emitting resources as to why the planet is stuffed?

My Polo has done 210,000km, that's 27.2t CO2 (5.9l/100km, 2.2kg CO2/litre fuel burnt).

It is unbelievable what we all emit.

Anyway, that Lambo is art & I think it's cool.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Shouldn't we solely judge all CO2 emitting resources as to why the planet is stuffed?

My Polo has done 210,000km, that's 27.2t CO2 (5.9l/100km, 2.2kg CO2/litre fuel burnt).

It is unbelievable what we all emit.

Anyway, that Lambo is art & I think it's cool.
@Minlak has farted more CO2 than that, and that is just this month.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
These types of cars are all 'extra' cars and by definition 100% unnecessary and 100% damaging on the planet. The fact that they are rarely driven only serves to illustrate what a total exercise in waste and excess these sorts of things are. They are a prime example of why the planet is stuffed.
But by that argument, shouldn't we all only have one bike?

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
But by that argument, shouldn't we all only have one bike?
No. It should be a "share" bike. They only get ridden once, twice (OK, possibly four or five times) a week, so one bike would easily cater for ten or twenty riders

Maybe Rotorburn needs a share-ride app for each city?

Beej1

Initial reveal of what is quite possibly one of the project cars of the moment:
I would rather his S85 V10 e46. While the Lambo looks incredible, I'm just not a fan of the brand.

He's a bit of a tosser, Phil. But I do like watching his project cars get worked on. His neighbour Craig from DynoTorque is far more watchable/less annoying. Plus that supercharged LS Pajero he's building is freaking awesome.

Beej1

Every YouTube Car Influencer / content creator is a tosser until proven otherwise. Saves time.
Sreten, AKA M539 Restorations, is definitely not a tosser and can't imagine he ever was. Just a likable nerd who restores BMW's.

But yeah ... a lot of the others are tossers.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Has anyone applied ceramic paint protection themselves? Any tips or recommendations on kits / brands to get, or should I stick with waxing?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yes I have. Worth the effort. I've used mothers, turtle wax, maguires and err, something I can't remember. You can buy real ceramic, but its $300 or more and not for amateurs

all of the products I've mentioned are Hybrids. REAL ceramic lasts for years. Hybrids last for 6-24 months, depending.

Wash
dry
Turtle wax bug and tar remover
wash
dry
mothers clay bar kit
clean with lint free rags
apply multiple coats of ceramic. Mothers wants 24 hours between coats.
I've 6 layers of mothers that's now 18 months old. Will need treatment in 3 months time, I'll probably wait till xmas as I want to do clear coat repairs too. Nothing like attacking clear coat with wet and dry paper

Time spent on preparing and applying hybrid ceramic is well worth it, for the first 6 months I could wash my car buy just spraying with foam and rinsing off with the hose. Zero mechanical agitation. Now it's a simple single wipe with the soaped up car wash sponge

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Yes I have. Worth the effort. I've used mothers, turtle wax, maguires and err, something I can't remember. You can buy real ceramic, but its $300 or more and not for amateurs

all of the products I've mentioned are Hybrids. REAL ceramic lasts for years. Hybrids last for 6-24 months, depending.

Wash
dry
Turtle wax bug and tar remover
wash
dry
mothers clay bar kit
clean with lint free rags
apply multiple coats of ceramic. Mothers wants 24 hours between coats.
I've 6 layers of mothers that's now 18 months old. Will need treatment in 3 months time, I'll probably wait till xmas as I want to do clear coat repairs too. Nothing like attacking clear coat with wet and dry paper

Time spent on preparing and applying hybrid ceramic is well worth it, for the first 6 months I could wash my car buy just spraying with foam and rinsing off with the hose. Zero mechanical agitation. Now it's a simple single wipe with the soaped up car wash sponge
I’m worn out just reading that. Actually, maybe I’m worn out after washing my car for the first time in 6 months yesterday. Karcher FTW.