Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Seems the US EPA is having fun cracking down on modified cars in the US. I wish they’d do the same on emissions defeats here too…

It is fun watching the rednecks cry into their diesel about the big fines being handed out :)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
My bespoke Billie's have had an issue after 80,000km ish. Left rear shock weeping at the banjo joint. About 20,000km of that has been 4wd or rough track. I will see if the supplier wants to rebuild to find out why the seal has gone, if not I will do the rebuild and just use Ar instead of N to gas them up. Haven't lost much oil or pressure but after 400km odd of corrugations this trip the weeping continues, and the shock is still leaking too. I think the remote reservoir may have moved putting some stress on the hose and banjo but a pull down will reveal all.

I have some foam cells being revalved to take over when I get back to cover me while these are rebuilt.

Anyway I found a new car for @Cardy George.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
My bespoke Billie's have had an issue after 80,000km ish. Left rear shock weeping at the banjo joint. About 20,000km of that has been 4wd or rough track. I will see if the supplier wants to rebuild to find out why the seal has gone, if not I will do the rebuild and just use Ar instead of N to gas them up. Haven't lost much oil or pressure but after 400km odd of corrugations this trip the weeping continues, and the shock is still leaking too. I think the remote reservoir may have moved putting some stress on the hose and banjo but a pull down will reveal all.

I have some foam cells being revalved to take over when I get back to cover me while these are rebuilt.

Anyway I found a new car for @Cardy George.

A Ford? You clearly don't love me any more :(

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
My bespoke Billie's have had an issue after 80,000km ish.
I had custom Bilstein's on the missus Prado, at around the same 80-90k I dropped it in for a service at the place that fitted the shocks/springs and they told me 2 were stuffed. 3.5yrs... were outside warranty and they would fit 2 new ones.

Said the stroke was possibly bottoming out and fekked the seals, they fitted spacers as well as new shocks. Her Prado has 200k on it now and all been good since.

Was probably a mistake on their behalf but they needed replaced and were out of warranty.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
There were a few Billie sets going around that were wrong for the Prado. One place in particular down south was selling mismatched sets and the pogo'ing was something special. These are the big bore, big shaft set with the right set up. I was lucky enough to be involved in the development for the local market. This stuff is $6k or something plus fitting if you pay full retail. I didn't. The leak isn't constant so I am hoping a seal rather than a crack or similar. If so I can rebuild then for the cost of oil which will be free plus some Ar which will come out of my tig bottle. Otherwise they are scrap. The big bore Ironman foam cells are a good product. Despite what you might hear. I have had a good look at them as the development has happened and with custom valving will suit our setup well. I will be happy with going Ironman if the Billie's have gone. Ironman offer a much better product now than the 'others' including the piggy back varieties - I have seen the dyno results. Anyway we will see.

ozzybmx

Yes these came from some suspension joint in Melbourne, they were custom valved and stroked for the Prado.

The 'fix' was the same stroke shock that was used on the Cruiser, seems good now.

I have put RidePro on my current 200.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yes these came from some suspension joint in Melbourne, they were custom valved and stroked for the Prado.

The 'fix' was the same stroke shock that was used on the Cruiser, seems good now.

I have put RidePro on my current 200.
I know where you got them... valving wasn't changed from factory. Probably two or three places can do those 'sealed' units with a slug of liquid N2. Mine is Schrader valved in the remote. There may be some very good big bore bypass foam cells coming... Juicy.

ozzybmx

I know where you got them... valving wasn't changed from factory. Probably two or three places can do those 'sealed' units with a slug of liquid N2. Mine is Schrader valved in the remote. There may be some very good big bore bypass foam cells coming... Juicy.
I used to be big on 4WD shit, not so much anymore. My goto place here in Adelaide is bloody awesome, they will tell you they are not the cheapest but the whole family works for the company and they are about the best in the state.
They did the wheel alignment on my vehicle at 200km when the suspension was fitted at new, now 65k and never had another one done, straight as a die and the steering wheel is straight.

Just about to get new tyres fitted and hopefully the alignment doesnt need adjusted, if it does, I will take it back to my usual 4WD centre and get them to do it right.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
My previous 3 year old KO2s found their way onto two spares and the camper, this trip with significant rain on a few tight mountain passes has convinced me to dump those and shift the 60% worn Scorpian AT+ to this duty and get some new ones for the 4wd. I had to drop the camper brakes to '3' down one range to stop the camper sliding past the 4wd. Useless fucking tyres...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I'm not a car geek at all, but that was cool. Road registered too. How will the bike rack affect the wing's performance?

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
Negligible.
Was one of my favourites. These guys have (I think) been more approachable than other world series racing. Was easy to get to talk with Tommi, Possum and Colin Mc at various events and M. Loeb was no different.

binner

Hath shat hymself
finally found what i wanted to play with....
2011 T31 6 speed manual turbo diesel xtrail
I started off ditching the rims and adding Kings 17 inch rims with Dueler 225 65 17s, drained all oils and refreshed with Penrite including gearbox and diff. .... added some usb charge ports in console and rear for the kids to charge their junk. Next I installed the rear lift, i didnt go stoopid and went with Pedders coils with KYB shocks, gained around 30mm lift. Next is front lift ( Gabriel and King springs) and adding rear spots plus a curved light bar on front. Sent the bashie off to powdercoater but will be hitting it with Upol raptor same with front n rear plastic bumper............................... Stay tuned.....

Attachments

Last edited: