Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I had to change the radiator on my big horsepower 2.4 diesel, possibly 70kw on a cold day. :p

Saltwater spray from beach driving has taken its toll on the radiator fins. Bought the old radiator 13 years ago and never had the top or bottom tank off for a clean, still looks like new inside, I've only ever used Toyota coolant in it since I've owned the car.

View attachment 391766

View attachment 391768View attachment 391769
Fkenell, I've been @Haakon ed, new radiator already leaking at the bottom tank.

MasterOfReality

After forever
A few months ago got the bogan chariot out, to find out it wouldn't change gears properly, basically undriveable. A bit of investigation revealed the kickdown cable had snapped off the throttle body. It still had a host of small niggly issues that I was putting off, these were what made me park it up back in 2008 and forget about it, hoping they would go away ha.

So went fuck it, time to bite the bullet and get it sorted once and for all.

After a few weeks the workshop sent me a list of everything they found. Most I knew about, and others they found the causes of issues that had stumped mechanics earlier, and the rest are general service items:
  • AC service & re-gas (prob has a leak somewhere)
  • AC drain tube repair (the water in the passenger footwell pissed me off for years and nobody could find the cause)
  • Steering rack boot replacement
  • Transmission service
  • Repair tail light harness
  • Replace upper strut top mounts
  • Replace fuel tank breather hoses. These were fucked anyway, pretty common, and I said whilst the tank is out please send it away to get cleaned, as it was sitting for the best part of a decade.
  • Replace leaking welch plugs, so might has well replace the starter motor as well since its gotta come out.
  • Replace intake manifold and exhaust gaskets due to leaks.
Just had the diff rebuilt with a truetrac lsd centre and 3.9 gears to give it a bit of extra go off the line. Plans are for a 355 stroker later on so would like the drivetrain sorted first. Next step is getting the auto beefed up and a set of decent brakes.

So a bit of $$$$ spent, but should be good for the next 30 years haha.
The workshop ended up pulling the motor as pretty much all the welch plugs were corroded, especially the one behind the engine mount which is impossible to access with the motor in the car. I guess a legacy of sitting for 10 years. But at least they are sacrificial.

If I knew they were pulling the motor I would have done some prior research into engine mods, but I do not want to rush that aspect. Get the fundamentals working first then go from there.

The good news is when the manifold and rocker covers came off, it was pretty clean inside. I was worried about sludge.
  • the 3.9 truetrack is in
  • all exhaust, manifold, rocker cover etc gaskets and various hoses have been done.
  • new water pump going on.
  • new plugs and leads.
  • new gear reduction starter motor going on.
  • fuel tank currently being cleaned
  • strut top mounts are ready to go in, as are the steering rack boots.
  • auto has been serviced, new kickdown cable ready to be installed.
  • new master cylinder to ordered.
  • ac regassed and found to be working. Lets see if it holds charge.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Could make cardy's day if they used a 308.
When I was sniffing around the RS200 the guy had a 904 under covers. But it was a 986 with body kit. Very disappointed.
A Repco F5000 you mean!

I feel I should actually read this later, lots of info...

Flow-Rider

Burner
If you want to know why everything costs a million dollars in this country I'll quickly explain why.

I take the brand new radiator to the radiator shop to get it repaired, they pressure test it and tell me it's fine. I argue with them that I'm 110% it was leaking and pressure tested it myself on the car, they argue with me that the leak is elsewhere. I tell them I'll be coming back with it installed to show you the leak. This world is full of total fuckwitts and this is why I couldn't stand the industry as no one wants to be accountable for their fuckups, all the fuckups end up coming out of your own pocket.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
If you want to know why everything costs a million dollars in this country I'll quickly explain why.

I take the brand new radiator to the radiator shop to get it repaired, they pressure test it and tell me it's fine. I argue with them that I'm 110% it was leaking and pressure tested it myself on the car, they argue with me that the leak is elsewhere. I tell them I'll be coming back with it installed to show you the leak. This world is full of total fuckwitts and this is why I couldn't stand the industry as no one wants to be accountable for their fuckups, all the fuckups end up coming out of your own pocket.

View attachment 392148
fckn tradies…

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I have a dilemma. I'll have a whole day to kill on a Sunday in October, all I have to do is get from Bonn back to Frankfurt for a 10pm flight out. So. Drop 500 euros on a lap or two of the Ring in a race prepped 911 as a passenger, or spend 200 on renting a GR Yaris for a lap with a 25,000 euros insurance excess...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I have a dilemma. I'll have a whole day to kill on a Sunday in October, all I have to do is get from Bonn back to Frankfurt for a 10pm flight out. So. Drop 500 euros on a lap or two of the Ring in a race prepped 911 as a passenger, or spend 200 on renting a GR Yaris for a lap with a 25,000 euros insurance excess...
I’d actually go with the passenger option. The driver will know the track well and it would be an doubly-interesting experience to see the track and feel the force and speed of a true race car simultaneously. Even in a GR Yaris I’d wager you’d spend most of your time just watching your mirrors for faster moving vehicles.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
I'd drive...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I’d actually go with the passenger option. The driver will know the track well and it would be an doubly-interesting experience to see the track and feel the force and speed of a true race car simultaneously. Even in a GR Yaris I’d wager you’d spend most of your time just watching your mirrors for faster moving vehicles.
And financially shitting myself at the prospect of binning it… Also, I’ll likely be pretty wrecked after a solid week of long days at work with jetlag thrown in, so perhaps not at my sharpest for driving the ring.