Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Turbo,
well It makes under the power requirements for engine mods for an engineers cert in a special way, when I want it to.
Filter out the side is not a problem.
Everything is within the mirrors ..
Bikes can be lower to the ground than a car, ADR requirements are that no part of the bike can touch the ground when the tyres are flat. That's about 40mm for me .
Very different rules in most cases.

Look at all the hipster cafe racer shitboxes, most of them are on the verge of catching fire or not stopping.. but that's fine..

I built my bike to go fast and not die on, while being legal..
That bike would never pass over the pits in Qld, just having an air pod suspended like that and the cooler above the back wheel.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Not sure what I have been doing but was sidetracked for a bit.

Drilled the backing plate for the filter for the XR4. Used a Forstner bit. Yes very naughty. Lots of lube and it survived with no issues. I gave it a quick touch up with a diamond sharpener and all good.

I will make a hone from some aluminium bar and spin some fine emery down the trumpets and inlet to matchy matchy diameters. The trumpets are 48.5 ID, the holes in the backing plate are 48mm and the inlet tubes are 47.8mm.

And for a first job on the bandsaw I made an extra backing plate to go on the YB with ITBs. Milled the slots and the mounting holes. Made an extra as well that will just sit in the spares box. Need to measure the centre spacing between 2 and 3 before cutting holes. I think it is only 45mm as well.

MasterOfReality

After forever
After much fucking around I found a shop willing to restore a set of VP GTS wheels I had, they were a basket case but being the rare 30P offset they were worth saving. Came out mint.

Last weekend I spliced in a Yellow Box speedo corrector for the 3.9 diff gears. Then today I realise that the new strut top mounts I had installed a few months ago are cactus. Front passenger has developed a pretty decent knock and the rubber had pushed up a fair bit.

IMG_9537_2.JPG

IMG_9536_2.JPG

IMG_9540_2.JPG

IMG_9538_2.JPG

IMG_9449_2.JPG

Flow-Rider

Burner
After much fucking around I found a shop willing to restore a set of VP GTS wheels I had, they were a basket case but being the rare 30P offset they were worth saving. Came out mint.

Last weekend I spliced in a Yellow Box speedo corrector for the 3.9 diff gears. Then today I realise that the new strut top mounts I had installed a few months ago are cactus. Front passenger has developed a pretty decent knock and the rubber had pushed up a fair bit.

View attachment 394297

View attachment 394298

View attachment 394299

View attachment 394300

View attachment 394301
I don't know if you can get them anymore but the fulcrum adjustable bearing plates or Mackay brand were the best. If it's been lowered you'll need to shorten the bump stops by the same amount.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Keen to hear some anecdotes on what you guys are paying for 3rd party insurance.

I'm getting reamed - about $700 a year. My old man pays $250.

I'm 26, live in Collingwood, drive a 1994 Land Cruiser. Never claimed anything, only had 2 small speeding fines in 8 years.

$700 isn't much less than I was paying for Comprehensive when I was 21.

Is it the old car thats fuckin me over? Any other ideas?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Keen to hear some anecdotes on what you guys are paying for 3rd party insurance.

I'm 26, live in Collingwood, drive a 1994 Land Cruiser. Never claimed anything, only had 2 small speeding fines in 8 years.

Who are you insured with? My comprehensive is $1000 for a 6y.o. car in Clifton Hill. Collingwood may be considered higher risk for theft/vandalism etc..? The old Cruiser, no idea.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Age, gender, suburb and old car that was a death trap even when it was new ;) All of the above.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Postcode, and age make a difference and some places give discounts if it has an alarm and immobilizer. I was paying close to 2k/year a few years for full comp on a new WRX. I've had my old 4x4 hliux with RACQ for over 10 years, it has thrid party and theft, and it's $250/ year.

Shredden

Knows his goats
This is why I find it interesting - I agree that I'd be a higher risk for the car getting nicked or written off due to my location, age and how old the car is (no immobiliser etc).

But these seem to be mostly risks on my side - I'm looking for third party only, so I would have thought the actuaries would only be interested in factors that impact how likely I am to hit another car (they are only insuring me for damage to the other person's car).

The two relevant ones I can think of would be:

- How fast is the car (SLOW)
- Driver age (youngish.. but not a P plater or anything).

Really looks like the risk flattens out a lot after 4 years of driving, so I'm surprised the age thing would still be such a factor in a premium.

young-driver-crash-risk-graph.jpg

Anyway, guess I'll shop around a bit more and then just suck it up.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
This is why I find it interesting - I agree that I'd be a higher risk for the car getting nicked or written off due to my location, age and how old the car is (no immobiliser etc).

But these seem to be mostly risks on my side - I'm looking for third party only, so I would have thought the actuaries would only be interested in factors that impact how likely I am to hit another car (they are only insuring me for damage to the other person's car).

Really looks like the risk flattens out a lot after 4 years of driving, so I'm surprised the age thing would still be such a factor in a premium.

View attachment 394333

35 yo Toyota 4WD doesn't exactly stop on a dime, so perhaps its over represented in rear ending people?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Postcode, and age make a difference and some places give discounts if it has an alarm and immobilizer. I was paying close to 2k/year a few years for full comp on a new WRX. I've had my old 4x4 hliux with RACQ for over 10 years, it has thrid party and theft, and it's $250/ year.
It is a rort how they determine your premiums and definitely in realms of magic. Getting older is the best leveller. A shitty postcode and even if the car had two doors has pushed mine up well in the past.

When I had the old Hyundai Excel Goat then most comprehensive insurance quotes were about 1/4 of the value of the car. This bring up the bigger question of why you would want comprehensive insurance on an old Excel but that argument can be laughed about another day :D

Flow-Rider

Burner
It is a rort how they determine your premiums and definitely in realms of magic. Getting older is the best leveller. A shitty postcode and even if the car had two doors has pushed mine up well in the past.

When I had the old Hyundai Excel Goat then most comprehensive insurance quotes were about 1/4 of the value of the car. This bring up the bigger question of why you would want comprehensive insurance on an old Excel but that argument can be laughed about another day :D
Yeah, I've had this discussion with insurance companies before and they always validate the prices with some lame excuse. I asked how does the premium go up when you lower the market value, "oh we give discounts when the car is new, blah, blah, blah".
I don't bother with full comp on older cars anymore if the market value is low, when a repair is higher than the market they ride it off anyway most times.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yeah, I've had this discussion with insurance companies before and they always validate the prices with some lame excuse. I asked how does the premium go up when you lower the market value, "oh we give discounts when the car is new, blah, blah, blah".
I don't bother with full comp on older cars anymore if the market value is low, when a repair is higher than the market they ride it off anyway most times.
Yeah, it hurt when the Megane got mangled in the hail, but I came out way ahead having only paid third party vs what it would have been worth as a payout…

That was about $250 a year I think - very tame car driven by an elderly me ;)

Flow-Rider

Burner

View attachment 394333

I got a quote using your area but with my age for 94 tray back landcruiser diesel (less than 10000kms/year). Look at the bottom of the quote. That's comp insurance too.

1667966368565.png

Shredden

Knows his goats
I got a quote using your area but with my age for 94 tray back landcruiser diesel (less tan 10000kms/year). Look at the bottom of the quote. That's comp insurance too.

View attachment 394336
That's interesting... must be the age thing as Suncorp came out at $900 for 3rd party for me. I did another few quotes and all were around $700 - $800 except Bingle which came out at $480 for 3rd party, so I think I'll be changing to them at this stage!

Interesting side note - my old man drives a 2011 Diesel Mondeo wagon. He got hit by an uninsured driver in a lifted wrangler a few months back. He has only third party so thought he was fucked... turns out his insurer (Suncorp I think) covers you for up to $5000 of repairs. His car's in getting fixed at the moment.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That's interesting... must be the age thing as Suncorp came out at $900 for 3rd party for me. I did another few quotes and all were around $700 - $800 except Bingle which came out at $480 for 3rd party, so I think I'll be changing to them at this stage!

Interesting side note - my old man drives a 2011 Diesel Mondeo wagon. He got hit by an uninsured driver in a lifted wrangler a few months back. He has only third party so thought he was fucked... turns out his insurer (Suncorp I think) covers you for up to $5000 of repairs. His car's in getting fixed at the moment.
Suncorp usually gives you a discount when you change over from another company and then the following year jacks up the price. The more accessories you list, the higher the premium usually is I've found in the past.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I got on my high horse and grumbled when the market value of the car inevitably goes down but the used car market pricing showed otherwise as supply chains died towards the end of Covid times.

'Just pick one for me that is close to the "market value" '
'I see you point sir and I will take it up with our valuations team'

That is far as it went as you would expect. The valuations folks in insurance seem to be untouchable and uncontactable and really wouldn't care less anyhow. Probably too busy playing horseshoes, Texa's Hold 'em, poker and darts in a palatial locked room with fully stocked bar up on the penthouse floor of a corporate city building.

Youi has been an odd one for quotes for me. They have never beaten NRMA who never seemed to try to hard to win business despite having eons of road service membership history when I've only bothered them 4 times or so since the time of mullets and peak of hair metal.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I got on my high horse and grumbled when the market value of the car inevitably goes down but the used car market pricing showed otherwise as supply chains died towards the end of Covid times.

'Just pick one for me that is close to the "market value" '
'I see you point sir and I will take it up with our valuations team'

That is far as it went as you would expect. The valuations folks in insurance seem to be untouchable and uncontactable and really wouldn't care less anyhow. Probably too busy playing horseshoes, Texa's Hold 'em, poker and darts in a palatial locked room with fully stocked bar up on the penthouse floor of a corporate city building.

Youi has been an odd one for quotes for me. They have never beaten NRMA who never seemed to try to hard to win business despite having eons of road service membership history when I've only bothered them 4 times or so since the time of mullets and peak of hair metal.
That’s the reason I went agreed value on the Alfa… Shannon’s were the only one that would entertain the idea I’d want an agreed value over the “market value” and let me set it at what it would actually cost to replace it.
But still annoyed GIO refused to cover the car after I moved to Taswegia - I had lifetime new for old on that so could let it just insure for whatever the market value was and I’d still get a new one if it got wrecked.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure what I have been doing but was sidetracked for a bit.

Drilled the backing plate for the filter for the XR4. Used a Forstner bit. Yes very naughty. Lots of lube and it survived with no issues. I gave it a quick touch up with a diamond sharpener and all good.

I will make a hone from some aluminium bar and spin some fine emery down the trumpets and inlet to matchy matchy diameters. The trumpets are 48.5 ID, the holes in the backing plate are 48mm and the inlet tubes are 47.8mm.

And for a first job on the bandsaw I made an extra backing plate to go on the YB with ITBs. Milled the slots and the mounting holes. Made an extra as well that will just sit in the spares box. Need to measure the centre spacing between 2 and 3 before cutting holes. I think it is only 45mm as well.
Nice work mate, they are a bastard to make.