Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
The new oil will circulate throughout the box again and mix with the old stuff. That's the issue with people letting the auto oil go until it's brown, you need to drop the oil 2 or 3 times because as soon as you start the car and go through the gears, the old oil mixes with the new, and you have dirty brown oil again.
Yep. Need to do 3 changes to get 90% out... Its had one change, will get another after the 15 min test drive where it drove perfectly. Then I'll drop a bit after a few more kms and see what it looks like.

It wasnt so bad that it didnt look perfect in the stream coming out of the drain, was only when a couple of litres in the pan had the light shone in the right way the metallic sheen was obvious. And there was black slime on the magnets in the front cover when i took it off to change the solenoids - clutch lining + steel from the converter clutch.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Filter not accessible - it’s internal and only can be changed with the trans case split ;)

No way to machine flush too - only a heat exchanges, no fluid lines to tap into.
I did swap in a freshly clean valve body with the new solenoids, so that’s clean.

So all I can do is fluid changes, getting 3.5 litres out at a time of the total 6.5 in there.
Bullshit product design, OEM has buckled to their customers demands for a cheaper and cheaper price, resulting in cost down engineering moves like built in filters. Bet that filter has a low bypass pressure valve too.

BMW cries “sealed for life” bullshit like everyone else, yet the ZF service manual clearly states 100k Km service interval, dropping down to 80k Km if driven hard.

ZF 6HP-26 rebuild isn’t for the faint of heart, rebuild manual is huge, many custom tools, but many videos online detailing the entire process and info via https://go4trans.com

Like a clutch pack or two?

Haakon

Bullshit product design, OEM has buckled to their customers demands for a cheaper and cheaper price, resulting in cost down engineering moves like built in filters. Bet that filter has a low bypass pressure valve too.

BMW cries “sealed for life” bullshit like everyone else, yet the ZF service manual clearly states 100k Km service interval, dropping down to 80k Km if driven hard.

ZF 6HP-26 rebuild isn’t for the faint of heart, rebuild manual is huge, many custom tools, but many videos online detailing the entire process and info via https://go4trans.com

Yeah, this is a sealed for life unit.

Dead east to change fluid on, and if you change (half of) the fluid every 30-50K kms they are a tough and reliable unit.

But if you listen to Peugeot and Renault and never ever change the fluid in Australia where the heat exchanger is a bit underdone for summer stop start traffic, you kill the trans in well under 100K on the Peugeots that shipped with mineral fluid, and under 150K on the Renaults with synthetic.
Assuming the Borg Warner solenoids don’t go and the owner ignores the dodgy pressure solenoid long enough to fry it…

Perfectly fine design let down by dumb servicing.

But a non serviceable filter is not a problem really (and no there isn’t a bypass). Filters on autos are not really that critical, it’s just a strainer really. If it’s generated enough crap to need the filter changed, the trans has much bigger problems and needs a rebuild anyway.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

If you see someone else's kit laid out like that it is always a kindness to throw in 3 6mm stainless washers and a couple of fibre washers.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
If you see someone else's kit laid out like that it is always a kindness to throw in 3 6mm stainless washers and a couple of fibre washers.
I threw one valve keeper into the parts organiser after mate gets the engine back in the car. Let him fester and stew for less then 2 minutes, still chased me up the street with screams of murder while I giggled my ass off.

Would do again, wholehearted recommend.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yeah, this is a sealed for life unit.

Dead east to change fluid on, and if you change (half of) the fluid every 30-50K kms they are a tough and reliable unit.

But if you listen to Peugeot and Renault and never ever change the fluid in Australia where the heat exchanger is a bit underdone for summer stop start traffic, you kill the trans in well under 100K on the Peugeots that shipped with mineral fluid, and under 150K on the Renaults with synthetic.
Assuming the Borg Warner solenoids don’t go and the owner ignores the dodgy pressure solenoid long enough to fry it…

Perfectly fine design let down by dumb servicing.

But a non serviceable filter is not a problem really (and no there isn’t a bypass). Filters on autos are not really that critical, it’s just a strainer really. If it’s generated enough crap to need the filter changed, the trans has much bigger problems and needs a rebuild anyway.
Maybe so for smaller euro slush boxes re filters, but the Subaru 4eat boxes I have had apart, and definitely the ZF stuff, needed filters replaced.
Subaru also claimed the filter was good for life, which was utter bull shit, I cut a few open, steel and brass shavings were caught in the filter. These subarus went on to do another 100k Km so it wasn’t a bushing on the way out. Granted I couldn’t really tell if the 4eat’s filter flow was impeded, but finding anything in a filter after swap out is confirmation enough for me.

All about getting that total cost of ownership as low as possible, and pushed as far out as possible so it’s the second or third owners problem.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I threw one valve keeper into the parts organiser after mate gets the engine back in the car. Let him fester and stew for less then 2 minutes, still chased me up the street with screams of murder while I giggled my ass off.

Would do again, wholehearted recommend.
When I went to uni for my eng degree it was still pretty hands on and access to the workshops was available after you proved your ability to use the gear. An older student was restoring an MGA twin cam and had the head and carbs stripped down on a bench. He was polishing anything that could be polished. The bits were laid out like an exploded drawing. It was lovely. Mate walked up to the bench and one of the techs said don't touch anything. Nah. Just looking. Then he went to the consumables room and came back with two brass banjo fittings and four brass nuts. He carefully polished these and added them to the parts on display.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not really a car guy but my 10 year old is obsessed so this weekend I took him to Eastern Creek - there was some kind of Drift Club event going on.
While we were there we noticed another event going on so we wandered over - turned out to be some kind of drag racing - not an official event I don't think but we stayed a while.

We were sitting in the grandstand, a couple of bikes and cars did runs and then there was an announcement about a top fuel car doing a run.

Mary mother of jesus this thing was absolutely bonkers. Loud doesn't even begin to describe the noise. My kid was so scared he ran away!
0-160 in under a second and they hit 500kph in a quarter mile. Utter madness.
I enjoyed it so much I want to go again!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'm not really a car guy but my 10 year old is obsessed so this weekend I took him to Eastern Creek - there was some kind of Drift Club event going on.
While we were there we noticed another event going on so we wandered over - turned out to be some kind of drag racing - not an official event I don't think but we stayed a while.

We were sitting in the grandstand, a couple of bikes and cars did runs and then there was an announcement about a top fuel car doing a run.

Mary mother of jesus this thing was absolutely bonkers. Loud doesn't even begin to describe the noise. My kid was so scared he ran away!
Top Fuelers redefined what I thought was possible with earth physics. And the feel and adrenaline hit as the sounds smacks you in the chest is addictive.

I used to love sitting up on the hill behind the startline at Calder Park watching Fuelers back in the day.

Haakon

Top Fuelers redefined what I thought was possible with earth physics. And the feel and adrenaline hit as the sounds smacks you in the chest is addictive.

I used to love sitting up on the hill behind the startline at Calder Park watching Fuelers back in the day.
Pfft. Weak.

This is real power ;)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

I'm not far from there and can hear their top fuel nights clearly. A really big 'Braaaaapppppppppp' for a few seconds then it is over.
Crazy fast!