Promising ACL treatment

driftking

Wheel size expert
Given ACL injuries are a fairly common injury and while not new to the world of science it is something that I think may be new to most of us here.

The research was done under the direction of Martha M. Murray, MD, and Braden C. Fleming, PhD

The Jist
ACL injuries are hard to repair and repair rates via suture have a very high (~90%) failure rate.
One of the issues that has been identified as a primary cause for this difficulty is the absences of a scaffold as such around the ACL. The lack of scaffold allows the blood that would usually form and clot in preliminary stages of healing, to be washed away by synovial fluid that surrounds the ACL. This results in no structure in place for the two ends to rejoin and no place for cells to remodel into a functional scar tissue..

The researches have essentially developed a way that combines a tissue-engineered composite scaffold with a suture repair.

"Use of the ECM-platelet scaffold also significantly improved both yield load and stiffness of the repair tissue; yield load almost doubled and stiffness increased almost 60 percent over that of suture repair alone. A randomized trial in a large-animal model found that the biomechanical outcome of the bioenhanced repair was equivalent to that of ACL reconstruction."- from http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/feb13/research7.asp

Links
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23857883
http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/feb13/research7.asp

While the studies have been completed in animals so far and there is still obviously a way to go before we see it pass human trials and become a common place treatment the hypothesis and research so far is looking impressive.

Last edited:

rsquared

Likes Dirt
Interesting. This is different to a LARS ligament repair by the looks.

I'm currently rehabbing a partially torn ACL. I've got a couple of months to go to see if it reattaches itself or else it's under the knife I go again. Not ideal after just getting to the end of a 12mth shoulder surgery rehab...

driftking

Wheel size expert
Interesting. This is different to a LARS ligament repair by the looks.

I'm currently rehabbing a partially torn ACL. I've got a couple of months to go to see if it reattaches itself or else it's under the knife I go again. Not ideal after just getting to the end of a 12mth shoulder surgery rehab...
From what i gather the LARS is an artificial replacement and therefore requires reconstruction?
This new method means they can suture/sew the ligament back together and have similar results to that of a reconstruction. The scaffold creates a ideal environment for healing.

The animal study Concluded that "the Bioenhanced ACL repair produces a ligament that is biomechanically similar to an ACL graft and provides chondroprotection to the joint after ACL surgery."

Be Interesting when human trails and results are completed I don't believe they have been finished yet. But it provides good hope given we can now repair with good outcomes rather than reconstruction.

ACL after shoulder, are you Sam Hill?
Thats a big recovery journey mate good luck with it.

rsquared

Likes Dirt
No, not Sam Hill but I think I'm pretty comparable in my ability to injure myself, just have to work on my ability to ride like him now....

As a Personal Trainer, it's amazing how much you can learn from going through big injuries and rehab yourself... I'm still trying to get my accountant to write off all of the physio/physiologist/surgeon etc etc expenses as research and development...

Any progress that can be made in the medical world to reduce the return to sport time for some of these major injuries will be amazing!