Protecting bike frames

Im not sure if this questions been asked before but, my frame is getting fairly damaged by the chain hitting the frame, this also damages my chain:p I've heard of getting some old tire tubing and wrapping it around the frame and securing it with cable ties, I've also heard of using lizard skin or something similar..what do you guys suggest?

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Chain Stay protection

Armour-dillo chain stay protectors are probably a better quality than Lizzard Skins... and they are ALL Australian too!!!

Trials bikes cop more on the chain stays than just about any bike (they're landing on rocks etc on them and squashing the chain up into the stays badly) and many of them use thick, clear, plastic hose that they slit, slip on and zip tie... can be made to look neat, can still see the bike through it and see any damage and is cheap!

Cheers

CHEWY

Eats Squid
just use the tube and zip ties... not worth paying for a protector in IMO. and ull most likely have both lying around

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, I use 2 techniques with bike tubes. One, if you have a fsr that you can take the pivot out so it is easy to put tube over, I cut peices or about 1inch round tube and overlap them. Then for seat stay etc where you can't stretch the tube over or, for a HT, I cut it and wrap it around like a toilet roll, just over lapping each bit a little as it I go. Zip tie the ends as needed.I haven't used these out on the trail yet but they have been on the frame for well over a month without twisting off or anything so hopefully it will all be sweet.

I just gotta figure out something for my boxxers that looks half decent :(

Ryan

Radministrator
If you want some serious protection, cut out an appropriately sized piece of an old DH tyre and zip tie it to your chainstay, heaps burlier than either an armourdillo/lizard skin or a tube.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i found an old car door seal laying around, so i used that + some zip ties, normally i use old tubes.