protecting both buyer and seller

Ghostee

Likes Dirt
gday brains trust..

so, let's say I want to purchase something from someone interstate, like an eagle xx1 groupset, and I, the buyer, would like to use PayPal so I have some level of protection of things don't work out.

however, seller has been burnt before using PayPal where purchaser said goods never arrived so PayPal took the money back from his account, so is not wanting to make a transaction via PayPal, which is fair enough..

So, my question; what are, if any, options where both parties can be confident that we are both winners??
I get a groupset and he gets some monies...

cheers lads/ladettes..

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Aside from picking it up personally, about all you can do is research on here. Look at their posts and what they've traded in the past.

I can say that I've never had a single issue trading on rotorburn. The mods do a pretty good job of keeping the trading section fair and douche free...

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
Straya Post COD. Split the fee, and the goods are payed for at postal outlet when collected. Cash then sent to sender. End of story.

I've shipped soooooo much stuff COD without too many issues(a few jerks changed their mind and left me on the hook for postage).

Paypal I avoid unless no other option exists due to inflated fees.

Tracked with signature is usually pretty safe for both parties.

Flow-Rider

Burner
There's an element of risk for every online transaction. I look at this way, even if someone rips me I'm still ahead than if I had to buy everything new from the LBS. Asking for tracking and signature can help but it's not totally criminal proof. I've bought a fair bit from here and most people that have been around for a long time do the right thing in regards to trading section.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
PayPal tends to side with the buyer and has fees for the seller, which is why some sellers won't use it - fair enough.
Direct deposit means you have to trust the seller is going to send your stuff, as it is hard to get your money back if it goes wrong - favours the seller.
Second hand comes with risks, but rewards in price.

COD sounds like an alternative, you get to pay when you see the goods.

How much are plane tickets?

Ghostee

Likes Dirt
PayPal tends to side with the buyer and has fees for the seller, which is why some sellers won't use it - fair enough.
Direct deposit means you have to trust the seller is going to send your stuff, as it is hard to get your money back if it goes wrong - favours the seller.
Second hand comes with risks, but rewards in price.

COD sounds like an alternative, you get to pay when you see the goods.

How much are plane tickets?
good point... i could fly down, pick it up and fly back, still cheaper than buying new from lbs or online store for that matter..
I have asked him if he is happy to do auspost cod so fingers crossed.

Terminal

Likes Bikes
You can get buyer/seller protection through PayPal if you conduct the transaction via something like Gumtree. However you need to link your PayPal accounts to gumtree, and conduct all communication via them.

I found this out when my wife tried to sell her old wedding dress on gumtree. The typical scam is to usher conversation away from gumtree to email, so it can't be tracked. Then make payment via PayPal, have item posted or picked up, followed by a claim to PayPal that item was not as advertised etc. PayPal sides with the buyer and you lose both the item and the money.

If you have a conversation history through gumtree or eBay, linked to a recorded transaction. Then PayPal can ascertain what's happened.

Whirlpool forums have a few threads on how to do it right.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Third party escrow is the most secure option
That may be the case, but it has such a negative reputation as that's what all the Nigerians use in their scams (or at least claim to use).

It's always a risk transacting on here as invariably one party gets the money before they will send the goods (unless it's local cash on pickup), so it's just blind faith that they will actually send them and they will be as described. In all the years of trading on here I've only been burnt twice; once with some forks that were absolutely rooted and pissing oil (that I paid top dollar for) and again with a frame I sold where the final netbank transfer bounced after I'd been texted the receipt and parted with the goods (thanks for that Specialized32).

There should be a system where mods remove trading access for the (very few) shifty operators, but I guess it's hard for them to prove who is at fault when it's just someone's word. Perhaps there should be a name and shame thread in the trading section? Like feedback on ebay, which is actually very helpful.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I asses savings vs risk.

Go find the best online price. I'm often amazed at what prices stuff sells for second hand vs the best online price. If it's a groupset pull off a brand new bike by an end user, you have ZERO chances with a warranty claim. The LBS is going to want the whole bike in their workshop for assessment, you can't turn up with a mangled shifter hoping for a replacement.

As to risk, if they are an active forum regular, and not part of the group that only use rotorburn for trading, you're fairly safe taking a gamble. If it's Facebook marketplace, it's hard, I like to pick up in person.

Specifically eagle XX1 parts, many issues reported over at pinkbike and MTBR regarding shift performance and broken teeth. I'd be buying this groupset new, as per my PM.

Ghostee

Likes Dirt

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
at the risk of sounding pretentious, no...
im on a 16' s-works enduro so i feel like putting gx on it would be like dressing a supermodel in a dress from kmart...
not that Kmart is bad, but supermodels deserve a better fitting, figure hugging dress than what Kmart can offer.
I do appreciate the suggestion though
No problem, just another option. We all like bike bling here so you are in good company. It is Gucci time for your S-Works :)

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Nautonier

Eats Squid
at the risk of sounding pretentious, no...
im on a 16' s-works enduro so i feel like putting gx on it would be like dressing a supermodel in a dress from kmart...
not that Kmart is bad, but supermodels deserve a better fitting, figure hugging dress than what Kmart can offer.
I do appreciate the suggestion though
I see where you're coming from, but GX isn't exactly kmart. That would be NX or Shimano :behindsofa: