Protective Equipment

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
The TV show Gladiators, some of the gladiators (i know Destiny for certain) wear 661 knee guards and probably other forms of 661 protective equipment.

This sort of prompts the question. Is riding armour/gear good for other uses? and would other protective equipment be able to withstand the riding wear and tear?

For anyone interested i am not wondering what is best and "which armour should i buy" i already have some. I was just curious.

Andy

Last edited:

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it couldnt hurt it, i mean kneeling in the garden or wrestling etc on your knee/shins is going to be more comfortable and no more stress than falling off in a rock garden is it?

good question

Sam.

Eats Squid
Hmm, when I was shooting (photos) the other day, my kyle straits did well. Especially with my knees on little rocks and twigs. I guess they will perform at their best at what they are designed for, but are usefull for other applications aswell.

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
661 gear

With protective equipment, i have chosen a 661 pressure suit (with a fox 08 jersey over that), 661 knee/shins, fox incline gloves, and a mace full face.
With footing, a pair of $50 skate shoes because of the structure, support, comfort,grip. Its all good.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
yes i also noticed that on gladiators, they all have 661 padding (knee and elbow).

my riding gloves are a set of sweet leather gardening gloves (not loose ones, tightly fitted, with padded knuckles and palms, with stretch webbing).. they cost jack shit, like 10 bucks, comfortable and i am yet to rip them.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
With protective equipment, i have chosen a 661 pressure suit (with a fox 08 jersey over that), 661 knee/shins, fox incline gloves, and a mace full face.
With footing, a pair of $50 skate shoes because of the structure, support, comfort,grip. Its all good.
The thread is about using the stuff for things other than MTB

patto94

Likes Dirt
Believe it or not, but any sort of armor/protection is good for keeping you warm, becase when i first bought my full face i was wearing for ages in the house in front of the fire sitting on the chair.
Yes i did look like a tool but that was only my family that said that.
And yes i was snug and warm.
I love my full face.:D

cretin...rider

Likes Dirt
ok i no GREAT counselor that may be able to help you, but remember the first stop to recovery is to admit you have a problem.

tomo_1845

Likes Bikes
i used my pro-tec knee pads when my dad and was re nailing our decking, much better than just doing it on your knees.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Anyone else notice that in the movie Dodgeball the big nasty men on Ben Stillers team are all wearing a cut down 661 Pressure suit?

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
I use my goggles for wippersnipping. I just swap out the lenses for an old one. Keeps more crap out than normal glasses, and is comforble enough.

Also, fighting in armour makes you feel invincible, its great fun.

bellto

Likes Dirt
you can get really comforatble Tylers or plumbers knee pads that are prime for riding . they are like 20 bucks from bunnings and come in a huge range of different types.:cool:

flyracing

Likes Dirt
I Also race motocross so most of my gear i can share doing downhill.
Jersey, 661 Pressure suit, knee pads and gloves.
only thing i really change is shorts, dh full face helmet and just wear skate shoes instead of boots.