Protective gear for DH?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
im yet to see a manufacturer release something and have them say "this is sooooo shit, don't buy it",
Except for maybe Ohlins.
What was the go with the Ohlins situation?

They announced a whole load of revised stuff last year that was meant to make up for the early product, but then they got bought out and the new forks don't seem to have materialised.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Anyone using chest protector vests like this for park/DH days? Is there much impact absorption in these or just a hard plastic shell? Also to protect the body from grazing when sliding on the ground if I come off

Heading to Whistler soon so considering options when I plan on trying some of the scarier stuff.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Anyone using chest protector vests like this for park/DH days? Is there much impact absorption in these or just a hard plastic shell? Also to protect the body from grazing when sliding on the ground if I come off

Heading to Whistler soon so considering options when I plan on trying some of the scarier stuff.

Make sure it’s a pressure suite style that you buy not just a roost protector. The latter is only really good for stopping rocks that get flung up off someones back wheel at you.

I’ve used both styles and taken some hard hits with both, and the roost protector over the jersey style is worse. By alot. I still shudder at how much that crash hurt haha.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Do you ride through a rifle range?
Youies isn't too far off one! :oops:

Make sure it’s a pressure suite style that you buy not just a roost protector. The latter is only really good for stopping rocks that get flung up off someones back wheel at you.

I’ve used both styles and taken some hard hits with both, and the roost protector over the jersey style is worse. By alot. I still shudder at how much that crash hurt haha.
Ahh gotcha ... makes sense! Cheers

safreek

Yes, there is that emotive response I mentioned, how predictable.

I didn't say they didn't work, I said there is no evidence that they did, which there isn't, you may have missed that during your rant.

Now, back to the efficacy of Leatt neck braces, you only think they do what they claim to do. Because you feel it made a difference
Heh Heh Heh, I was waiting for it

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Oh the memories! Thank you @Mywifesirrational and thank you @jarrod839!

"I will shut you down every time" LOL

"What is Enduro? Do I need to be homosexual to enjoy it?"

This thread is a classic, it has not aged a day, it is just as fresh and sharp as when it first appeared.

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Suddenly this thread is a little more than just entertainment
Funny how you can tell yourself that spinal stuff is something that happens to other people. Stats and figures mean sweet FA when your mind keeps putting it to the side because that sort of thing never happens to you.

I've now crunched a helmet enough to be fairly convinced I'd be dead or a drooling mess without it. And I now keep thinking how much easier recovery might have been with a brace. I reckon I'd have been happier to have a broken collarbone instead of the spine if it came down to that.

I'm not convinced I'll be pushing myself any further into gnarly riding now, I've definitely been rattled and I'm on the older side for someone just testing the waters with downhill. But if I do come back to riding with a desire to keep pushing, I reckon the neck brace will be on the shopping list pretty quick smart. Odds are against me doing it again but fark taking that chance!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse

I use a POC VPD spine t shirt that has chest, shoulder and back protection. From personal experience, impact absorption is fantastic, even chest on into a tree at Narby was a ride away crash. They don't make my version anymore but they do a VPD 2.0 jacket which has elbow protection too. Not cheap but great quality.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I use a POC VPD spine t shirt that has chest, shoulder and back protection. From personal experience, impact absorption is fantastic, even chest on into a tree at Narby was a ride away crash. They don't make my version anymore but they do a VPD 2.0 jacket which has elbow protection too. Not cheap but great quality.
Those suits look great. Saw one on gumtree recently for $100 but missed it.
I've recently started using the VPD 2.0 elbow and knees and have found them to do the job well. Not the best for pedalling as the rubber grip is so damn good it grabs my hairy legs haha