P's test tips please (whoa thats alot of p's in 1 sentence)

Renegade

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,
yeh you saw this coming sooner or later
Going for my p's test this friday *Ohh the nerves*

Can any kind gentlemen(or ladies of course) give me some tips about the test.

I did two l trent lessons before but I would like to hear some kind words from people on farkin.

Cheers

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
do not panic at any stage,
do not feel pressured to perform.

that is truly the best advice you can ever have.

Dicky

Punter God
It's a while ago now but...

Keep both hands on the wheel, ALL THE TIME. My instructor was unusually anal about this.
The tendency to leave your left hand on the gearstick in a manual does not help - unlearn the habit for the test.

Sit 3-4 km/h UNDER the speed limit. Leave a small gap between the speedo needle and the indicator line. Speeding is an instant fail...

Spend an hour or three, on separate occasions, driving the streets around the motor registry. Get to know it reasonably well.
Peak hour / school zone times are good - you'll get plenty of practice avoiding 3 metre tall 4WDs who will drive through and over anything, including you, probably because they're on the phone and there's 3 kids and a dog in the back.

There will probably be some poorly visible speed signs etc too, branches growing across them etc.

Other than that, just be smooth and relaxed - the examiner will be looking for good judgement and control, not race car driver skills.

Good luck mate :) Let us know how you go.

Last edited:

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Stay calm, check you mirrors very often - before making any move, be it a turn, changing lanes or slowing down or stopping.

Know the controls of the car you'll be driving. The tester will ask for you to put on the headlights, l and r indicators, hazard lights, show them the park brake, demister (sp) and possibly some other controls that escape my memory at this time!

Most of all, be adaptable and attentive, try not to be distracted by nerves and just focus on instructions given.

And of course good luck!

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Close your eyes and think of waterfalls; always helps me relax and release.
What might you be releasing that has to do with waterfalls?:p

I'd say just keep cool. Drive the way you know how to drive. If you fail, you obviously weren't a good enough driver, and, sure you'll be pissed off, but just correct anything they say you failed on for next time.

Look for all the immediate fail things: Speeding, not stopping at a stop sign, or too far before a stop sign, hitting the curb, children, or the elderly.

Make sure you wear your seatbelt, and that all your lights are working. Actually, make sure the whole car is in good nick, don't want them telling you you can't do the test due to a sh*tty car.

I went through this process 4 times. Failed twice on manual, had the brake light f*ck up when i was about to do my first auto test (3rd time), and then finally passed on the fourth. Yes, i probably shouldn't have been on the road, but once i got my p's fuck it felt good, and the best thing is you'll never have to do it again!

Good luck mate. Let us know how you go.

GravityGuru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks at all three mirrors all the time! and move your head not just your eyes so the instructor can see you lookin. The same with scanning left and right as you come up to intersections. Do manoevers before you are asked to, eg handbrake starts on even the slightest of hills. When your doing your reverse parallel, go very slow, you don't fail if you touch the curb, but you fail if you hit it fast enough for the wheel to go up it. (instant fail for all four wheels not being on the road) Can't think of anything else at the moment, except relax.... maybe have a few beers before your test to calm the nerves ;)

Renegade

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks all!. Some really good advice there and I will let you know how I go, my test is tomorrow.

Cheers everyone!

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Know the controls of the car you'll be driving. The tester will ask for you to put on the headlights, l and r indicators, hazard lights, show them the park brake, demister (sp) and possibly some other controls that escape my memory at this time!
i also had to do wipers, steering wheel height and dash brightness.

be confident with your driving, don't break any laws and don't take off without checking mirrors/head check. also, a mate of mine failed because he went when somebody slowed to let him in at a roundabout, commonsense says go, rules say don't.

PEELER

Banned
A mate of mine failed coz he forgot too check his L plates before he got in the car.so remember 2 check that before you get in the car.;)The old mate instructer will probly be looking out for that.;)

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
Check the instructor has his/her belt on. occasionally they will leave it off to see if you notice. its instant fail if you leave with them un belted.

know the street directions. I was asked to make a left turn into a street that was right turn only. They will fail you if you indicate left! Its prick tactics but they do it.

like the street directions, know the speed limits for the areas where you might be tested. Often you will drive thru streets with changing limits or with no limits (remember its 50 KM/H UNLESS SIGNPOSTED!)

dont tail gate, speed or brake hard. check your mirrors and demonstrate this. the instructor is watching the road, not the quiver in your eyeballs to see youre glancing in the mirror...

good luck.

W2ttsy

Renegade

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Check the instructor has his/her belt on. occasionally they will leave it off to see if you notice. its instant fail if you leave with them un belted.

know the street directions. I was asked to make a left turn into a street that was right turn only. They will fail you if you indicate left! Its prick tactics but they do it.

like the street directions, know the speed limits for the areas where you might be tested. Often you will drive thru streets with changing limits or with no limits (remember its 50 KM/H UNLESS SIGNPOSTED!)

dont tail gate, speed or brake hard. check your mirrors and demonstrate this. the instructor is watching the road, not the quiver in your eyeballs to see youre glancing in the mirror...

good luck.

W2ttsy
Thanx mate, a friend told me they try to trick you like that, so ill keep a look out. Only 1 hr and 45 mins to my test. Wish my luck, and ill, drive you guys to ourimbah every sunday:D

Hopper

Likes Dirt
Thanx mate, a friend told me they try to trick you like that, so ill keep a look out. Only 1 hr and 45 mins to my test. Wish my luck, and ill, drive you guys to ourimbah every sunday:D

Good luck mate......... I live in Adelaide so it might be a bitch for you to drive me to Ourimbah every Sunday, once a month will be fine;)

Renegade

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got em' FUCK YEA ( soz for the language)

Now all I need is a bike to drive to tracks for a reason.

Thanx to EVERYONE for the tips, they really worked. Cheers all!

thadownzkid

Likes Dirt
Well done mate.
I'm assuming you passed 1st go. It feels great.
Now you can go and give lots of sh*t to your mates who failed.