Pump tracks in ACT

Luco

Likes Dirt
Hey Canberrans,

I will be in Canberra for work back end of this week and I wanted to hit up a pump track one evening. Looking at the Stromlo web page it says the park closes at 6pm, which wouldn't leave me much time to ride. So are there any other pump tracks around? I read about a place in Queanbeyan but think its a bit far from where I'm staying (Dickson).

Any suggestions? Thanks.

doihoi

Likes Dirt
I thought Stromlo opened until 9PM Daylight Savings and 6PM Non Daylight Savings - that's what I've read on their site

There's one in Gungahlin you could check out (BMX and DJs)

Luco

Likes Dirt
I thought Stromlo opened until 9PM Daylight Savings and 6PM Non Daylight Savings - that's what I've read on their site

There's one in Gungahlin you could check out (BMX and DJs)
Ah ok, your probably right. Just saw it on google...
I'll go stromlo then. Thanks mate.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
It's also just the gate at Stromlo that closes. You can still park on the road and ride on in anytime, it's only a few hundred meters.

There's a faux-pumptrack in the 'Playground' section of Stromlo (LHS as you're climbing up towards Blue Gums). To be honest though, it's pretty gimmicky I wouldn't bother with it if you're specifically after a pump track. As pointed out Gungahlin's got a pump track set up there which is pretty good when it's buffed & running nicely. Otherwise there was also a pretty rad one in Queanbeyan (Youtube it) a few years back- know there were a few Burners from here putting plenty of work into, though not sure if it's still running. Couldn't tell you the condition of either though as it's been at least 18mths since I rode them.

Luco

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys. I will check both stromlo and Gungahlin out.

Im heading down to Canberra in a couple of weeks and would also like to know of pump-tracks around.

Would be good to break up the downhill and skating we have planned

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
The Scar out at Quangers is off southbar road -Karabar, cant miss it..it suffers badly from water runoff from the hill above it, but rides alright if dry. take your pads, as the shale is very sharp underneath.
Gungahlin Dirtjumps and pump tracks are probably the go, if in Dickson..they are next to Yerribi district park and skate park, good fun, but suffers badly from water - heavy clay and stays wet for ages..last time I was there it had 3 DJ lines, and 3 pump track lines..good fun, and the pumps can be ridden at night, as they get the streetlights off Gungahlin drive shining nearby.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Gungahlin is great if you have kids, as there is a large adventure playground 100m away, toilets, covered BBq area, skate park, and 5Km loop bike path around the lake - with lots of hot Yummy Mums pushing prams to perve on (I Hope im allowed to say that, and doesn't offend all the wife beaters out there!)

Luco

Likes Dirt
Fatboy, thanks for the detailed help. Think I'll head to Gungahlin instead then based on your advice.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
just be sure to get there before all the school groms turn up!...and throw a shovel in your car, heaps of spare dirt and road base to fill in wet patches.

Luco

Likes Dirt
So I spent a good couple if hours there this arvo. Good place, thanks again fatboy. It was pretty dry and dusty, but really fun. Gotta say I'm a complete amateur when it comes to dirt jumping, but a local dude, helped me out a lot! That skate part is also heaps of fun too! I'm hooked. All mountain is fun, but djing is great!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
busted out the trail shovel and dug out this thread for a timely update :cool:
We (Myself and the two shredding food disposal units) are heading to The Berra for a family catch up and are only taking the DJ's with us, no trails this time
3dj2.JPG

What other Pump tracks or family friendly dirt jumps are there around the place, looking at devoting a full day to travel around and hit up any worthy options..
Already on the radar is.
  1. Stromlo PT
  2. Majura DJ's and mini flow/PT (whatever you want to call it)
  3. Gungahlin DJ's
  4. Belco SK8 prk

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Iconic have built a fair few local ones up, decent one at Chisholm, smaller ones in Farrer (school and closer to shops), red hill school, fisher (stromlo high??).

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Some one is building some new ones out at poo pines, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who appreciates their own ongoing existence.