[PYR] I built a rack (warning pictures)

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice work guys.

I like to dabble in basic metal work at home and made up this rack for myself earlier this year. One of my first projects using a mig (never used one before).

In hind sight i made it way way way too strong / heavy but i usually pride myself on over engineering stuff when your backs stuffed and you have to pick this thing up every couple days it gets old lol.

I had a friend powdercoat it for me once finished. All up it cost me around $40.

Travis.
If-that's-your-first-time-mig-welding.......I'm-impressed!

Ideate

After a few hours of pondering.. I decided to make a bracket for the lights. I was going to make it removable but got lazy so it got welded on.

My soldering is nearly as good as my MIG welding lol.. Ahhhh.

Came out ok.

I nearly made the cord too short.. But funnily enough that's the only thing that came close to going wrong. Lights work perfectly. Should keep the cops happy. Not bad for $35.

Last edited:

Ideate

Finally welded up some more bits to hang a second bike. Works well but the whole rack wiggles a little with two bikes on there.

Do your racks do that? Not a massive swaying.. Just a wiggle here and there when you're driving.

Nearly end cap time (need to paint it first).

I'm concerned a little about cops being anal about the wheel over hang, especially if I road trip into nsw. I think it'll be ok though as it looks like they don't go further than the side mirrors (or 150mm, whatever the limit is).

Anyone been pulled over for wheel over hang?

Last edited:

jarrod839

Banned
My gripsport rack occasionally has a slight wobble even with one bike on. But nothing to really worry about.

You can have overhang as long as you don't exceed the width of your mirrors.

Pretty impressive rack you have fabbed. I would be painting it quickly though. There are cops out there do not take lightly to homemade structures attached to vehicles.

stoo

Likes Dirt
Nice jigger, how 'bout replacing your top two bolts with these jiggers to drop it down?

Here's mine, cost bugger all until I bought the LED lights.
I can't get in the back of the car as mine doesn't drop down but I can't be arsed modifying it yet as I don't use it enough....

Ideate

Nice jigger, how 'bout replacing your top two bolts with these jiggers to drop it down?

Here's mine, cost bugger all until I bought the LED lights.
I can't get in the back of the car as mine doesn't drop down but I can't be arsed modifying it yet as I don't use it enough....

I was looking for some slimline LEDs but they were all too expensive when comparing to the $35 kit I went with. They look much better though.

That's what the plan was to have two of those pin jiggers but like you, I can't be bothered. If I really need to open the boot, I can take the bike off which would probably be just as quick.

Loving the finishes on your rack, well done.

Derosaking

Cannon Fodder
Funny you ask. This just arrived in the mail today so I'll be all legal. Cost me $35 for the led kit which again is cheaper than anything I found from gripsport or similar.

Love all the work that you've done and it looks great - but just thought I'd give some feedback on the purchased options. I bought the super cheap ($120 at the time) 2 bike, hitch mounted rack from Cyclingdeal.com about 2.5 years ago.

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/2-bicycle-bike-rack-hitch-mount-carrier-car/CB-640A

I was worried that it couldn't possible be any good at that price - and it doesn't look fancy. But it has been fantastic. All my mates look on jealously when I load my bikes in 30sec max. Can't say how much better it is to have the bikes sitting in steel loops rather than hanging off something - no damage to frames, hoops stop bike moving at all. Its never had a problem and it's finally stopped me trashing bikes and roof racks by driving them into my carport! I've loaded $6000 carbon road bikes, 29er MTBs, whatever - just seems to fit everything and I love that there are no straps or keys or locks - nothing. If I want it secure I wrap and cable around it. When I don't use it I fold it up and even that is quick and reliable. All just so simple.

The only issue I had was when purchased I had to saw off about 20mm from the 50x50 square tubing that goes into the hitch mount because it was too long. That took 15 minutes with an angle grinder and haven't looked back. And last thing, it arrived two days after ordering - can't even work out how that happened!

Re the light and number plate thing, I normally just cable tie on an old number plate holder I have. On longer trips I have used a light that hangs off it that I scrounged from an old bike holder. I know I'm prob meant to do this more often but have never had an issue and have driven it thousands of ks.

Ideate

Love all the work that you've done and it looks great - but just thought I'd give some feedback on the purchased options. I bought the super cheap ($120 at the time) 2 bike, hitch mounted rack from Cyclingdeal.com about 2.5 years ago.

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/2-bicycle-bike-rack-hitch-mount-carrier-car/CB-640A

I was worried that it couldn't possible be any good at that price - and it doesn't look fancy. But it has been fantastic. All my mates look on jealously when I load my bikes in 30sec max. Can't say how much better it is to have the bikes sitting in steel loops rather than hanging off something - no damage to frames, hoops stop bike moving at all. Its never had a problem and it's finally stopped me trashing bikes and roof racks by driving them into my carport! I've loaded $6000 carbon road bikes, 29er MTBs, whatever - just seems to fit everything and I love that there are no straps or keys or locks - nothing. If I want it secure I wrap and cable around it. When I don't use it I fold it up and even that is quick and reliable. All just so simple.

The only issue I had was when purchased I had to saw off about 20mm from the 50x50 square tubing that goes into the hitch mount because it was too long. That took 15 minutes with an angle grinder and haven't looked back. And last thing, it arrived two days after ordering - can't even work out how that happened!

Re the light and number plate thing, I normally just cable tie on an old number plate holder I have. On longer trips I have used a light that hangs off it that I scrounged from an old bike holder. I know I'm prob meant to do this more often but have never had an issue and have driven it thousands of ks.
Nice mini plug for cycling deal, I love them. They're good, I just wish they stocked a few more things.

As for the the rack you bought, it didn't look or feel nice in the shop when I went in. I kept thinking about shuttling two or more heavy dh bikes up a bumpy fire road and thought.. Nah.

Second is that I don't have a hitch reciever.

Third is that even if I did, it'd be too low and most likely jam in my driveway gutter and similar road transitions.

Forth would be the price. If I don't count my time and tools, I think it all came to about $60 including metal, bolts, LED tail lights and wiring etc. So even if I did have a hitch reciever and my car was higher I'd probably still go the diy and save a few hunj'.

Lol.. Have you driven your bikes into a carport before? Tell me this isn't you..

Ideate

Bit of paint for the rack
Dulux gloss metal shield black
Will probably scratch straight away
Should have got it properly sprayed

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Good work Ideate, was going to ask how it was going - if you had painted it yet. Came up well, least with spray paint you can touch it up yourself as required.

Ive been playing around this week on a new project, i bought a bike work stand head (wall mount) then made an adapter so i could mount it to a PA/DJ speaker stand, then also decided it make a spigot which i could leave mounted to the wall so i have 2 options for the work stand, wall mounted and portable tho in my usual fashion it weighs a tonne and i wouldnt want to carry it far!

Still havent quite finished, just comedic work / grinding edges and paint to finish.

Travis.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Hey Ideate, still not finished but this is the work clamp on the wall mount. Its folded to the side when not in use. I still need to make up a bolt / and either drill and tap or weld a nut onto the tabs i put on the side of the adapter tube so it will clamp itself in place be it on the wall or on the PA speaker stand.

Once finished ill paint it all but im in no rush it works fine as is.

Travis.

Last edited:

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Finally got around to finishing up this project, right in time for xmas. The bike clamp head was afterall to be a xmas present for me.

Merry xmas all!

Travis.

Attachments