STOLEN QLD - Stolen From Illinbah Ride Day

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
Bike: Giant XTC2 (2005 Model, 19" Frame)
Bike Colour: Black and Silver Frame, White Forks, Black Rims
Specs:
Rock Shox Psylo Forks (White w/Compression + Travel Adjusters)
Skinny Specialized Fatboy Slicks
Sun RhynoLite Rims (Black)
SRAM X-7 Front + Rear Derailleurs
SRAM X-9 Shifters
Hayes HFX-9 Brakes
WTB Seat (Black and Silver)
Raceface Cranks (Black)
Easton Stem, Bars and Seatpost (Black)
Speedo sensor + mount
Suspects: Two 18-20 Year Old Males. One wearing a red tee and shorts, the other wearing an orange tee and shorts. One of them was a kiwi with a silver fern underlined with the text 'New Zealand' in cursive script tattooed on the inside of his upper arm. They were planning to meet a mate who was riding.
Suspects Vehicle: White dual cab ute, 2WD style body. Two black skate/surf stickers on rear or rear quarter panel. Unsure of model.
Date it was stolen: 2/11/2008, we arrived at the venue sometime around 2pm - an hour or so before things wrapped up. They probably left 20 to 30 minutes after we arrived.
Where it was stolen: From the car park at the Illinbah ride day. The ute was parked facing into a pit tent with two blokes sitting in it when we arrived.
Other Descriptions: Also stolen was a rough looking Met helmet (green and silver) and a slim Anaconda hydration pack with a set of keys, a pump and a bottle of milk. I hope it takes them a few weeks to discover the milk.
Back Story: While I was out riding on the road near Illinbah I accepted a lift with two strangers who stopped, asking for directions to the Illinbah ride day (they called it a race), my bike was placed in the back of their ute. They weren't riders but were going to the 'race' to watch and meet a mate. After getting to the venue we all headed up the hill to watch and after hanging around for a bit they both headed down the hill to try and catch up with their mate (and get me a beer...). I hung around for 15 minutes or so then headed back down to the car park, only to find the ute (with my bike in the back) gone. There's a chance this is just a misunderstanding but after thinking back over how things went down I'm pretty sure that they were genuinely headed to the event but then seeing the opportunity to nick my bike they took it.

If anyone at the race remembers these guys or can provide any more details that might help track the bike down then please post here or PM me.

I'd also like to thank the club officials who were all really friendly and helpful, especially Pete who went out of his way to give me a lift home.

Pictures:

(wheels and forks differ from current spec)

Last edited by a moderator:

stevenw

Pro Rider
This is a heads up to all DHers at Illinbah today. One of you guys must know who took the bike. I ask that you do the decent thing and get the bike back. If these guys are your mates, then give the gold coast club a call or private message the owner.

Mountain Bikers don't shit on eachother, so do the honest thing and get the bike back for this guy.

Stef

Likes Dirt
I remember that car description, it was a Rodeo. I was watching the hill over the top of it but I don't recall seeing who was around it. I was with a group though so I will ask around. Hope this can be sorted asap.

hazza37

Likes Bikes
thats dog, who steals a bike at a ride day? what happened to trust...
hope you get your bike back mate