QLD Sunny Coast fun? Tewantin

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
My lady and I are heading to the Sunny Coast for the long weekend. We're planning on riding Tewantin. So what are the good trails and any other recommendations from the locals for rides in the area?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Might be able to return your recent favour - although I did get gastro middle of the first night visiting your area which wrote me off for a couple days !

My folks live up Noosa way.

Wooroi is great fun single track and a short ride or drive from Tewantin. Easy climb up via Gyndier Drive which is a sealed road open to cars only for events like the Noosa Hill Climb a couple of times a year. Alternatively there are a couple of runs of fire road type trail to get to the top of the hill. Let me know if you want a strava/garmin route and what approx. km/time you are keen for.

You can also explore the Noosa Trail Network which is combination of fire trails through state forest, sneaky single track and scenic back roads. Well worth it if you have 2 to 4 hours. Some routes are flat but there are some decent climbs on some routes, not sure if you / your missus mind that ? Council info here ... https://www.noosa.qld.gov.au/noosa-trail-network . Again, let me know if you want a garmin route and what length/time.

Parklands is great single track as well but a bit more of a navigation challenge and further away from Tewantin.

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
My lady and I are heading to the Sunny Coast for the long weekend. We're planning on riding Tewantin. So what are the good trails and any other recommendations from the locals for rides in the area?
Hey DMan. What type of riding do you prefer and where do you normally ride? Tewantin is mostly fast flowy type stuff, not too technically challenging...but still good fun. The trails are very dry at the moment and some are not in very good condition due to the lack of rain and also recent bushfires. Still plenty of fun to be had in there though. I live about 15 mins away from Tewantin (Coolum Beach) and ride Tewantin regularly...so would be happy to point you in the right direction. If you'd prefer to do your own thing, the best bike shops for route advice nearby are Venture Cycles or Cognition... both do shop rides on weekends as well. They may even be able to sell you a Tewantin Trails 'manky' (map and hanky combination). If you have MTBA membership, you could also hook up with Noosa Trailblazers for their club ride on Saturday morning.

Other main riding option would be Parklands (near Nambour)... much more technical (and steeper and rockier and rootier :shocked: ) trails.

If you drop me a PM on here, I can give you my mobile number to catch up.

Have a great long weekend

Cheers Muz.

PS: Just worked out we've met. Is your lady riding the Rumor?

Last edited:

DMan

Might be able to return your recent favour - although I did get gastro middle of the first night visiting your area which wrote me off for a couple days !

My folks live up Noosa way.

Wooroi is great fun single track and a short ride or drive from Tewantin. Easy climb up via Gyndier Drive which is a sealed road open to cars only for events like the Noosa Hill Climb a couple of times a year. Alternatively there are a couple of runs of fire road type trail to get to the top of the hill. Let me know if you want a strava/garmin route and what approx. km/time you are keen for.

You can also explore the Noosa Trail Network which is combination of fire trails through state forest, sneaky single track and scenic back roads. Well worth it if you have 2 to 4 hours. Some routes are flat but there are some decent climbs on some routes, not sure if you / your missus mind that ? Council info here ... https://www.noosa.qld.gov.au/noosa-trail-network . Again, let me know if you want a garmin route and what length/time.

Parklands is great single track as well but a bit more of a navigation challenge and further away from Tewantin.
That's a bugger about the gastro man! That all sounds good. Which trails are good within Parklands and Tewantin National Park? we quite like techy style tracks too so any with drop offs, little jumps and such?

DMan

Hey DMan. What type of riding do you prefer and where do you normally ride? Tewantin is mostly fast flowy type stuff, not too technically challenging...but still good fun. The trails are very dry at the moment and some are not in very good condition due to the lack of rain and also recent bushfires. Still plenty of fun to be had in there though. I live about 15 mins away from Tewantin (Coolum Beach) and ride Tewantin regularly...so would be happy to point you in the right direction. If you'd prefer to do your own thing, the best bike shops for route advice nearby are Venture Cycles or Cognition... both do shop rides on weekends as well. They may even be able to sell you a Tewantin Trails 'manky' (map and hanky combination). If you have MTBA membership, you could also hook up with Noosa Trailblazers for their club ride on Saturday morning.

Other main riding option would be Parklands (near Nambour)... much more technical (and steeper and rockier and rootier :shocked: ) trails.

If you drop me a PM on here, I can give you my mobile number to catch up.

Have a great long weekend

Cheers Muz.

PS: Just worked out we've met. Is your lady riding the Rumor?
Cool. We'll play it by ear but might be able to take you up on a tour! She rides a Sight or a Rocky Mountain and I've got a Reign. Where do you reckon we've met?

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
Cool. We'll play it by ear but might be able to take you up on a tour! She rides a Sight or a Rocky Mountain and I've got a Reign. Where do you reckon we've met?
OK...My mix up. Might have been your mate. He bought a Specialized Rumor off me for his Wife/GF. I remember emailing you back and forth a few times.

Cheers Muz

DMan

OK...My mix up. Might have been your mate. He bought a Specialized Rumor off me for his Wife/GF. I remember emailing you back and forth a few times.

Cheers Muz
AH YES! Yeah, that's a mate I ride with regularly. She's very happy with the bike! Nice bike.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Which trails are good within Parklands and Tewantin National Park? we quite like techy style tracks too so any with drop offs, little jumps and such?
Wooroi (tewantin) trails like Milk Maid, Bloodwood, Turn 10 are fune https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/tewantin/pdf/mountain-bike-map.pdf

Parkland, geez, where to start. Heaps of technical riding https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2-dM9NFP78vVURuUHZHMkFzUDA/view Good times to be had on trails like Ho Chi Ho, Phoenix, Upper NZ, Rock n Roll. All over really with lots of variation in terrain.

DMan

Wooroi (tewantin) trails like Milk Maid, Bloodwood, Turn 10 are fune https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/tewantin/pdf/mountain-bike-map.pdf

Parkland, geez, where to start. Heaps of technical riding https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2-dM9NFP78vVURuUHZHMkFzUDA/view Good times to be had on trails like Ho Chi Ho, Phoenix, Upper NZ, Rock n Roll. All over really with lots of variation in terrain.
Sweet, I'm sold. We'll hit both places then. Early rides I reckon as it's going to be hot.

dA_bOmBbIkE

Likes Dirt
I just arrived in marcoola yesterday. I decided to bring the roadie this time as we're still half an hour from Noosa and mtb trails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMan

I just arrived in marcoola yesterday. I decided to bring the roadie this time as we're still half an hour from Noosa and mtb trails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's just plain sad.....

Take a stack of water if you go to Parklands, no easily accessible water close by and it gets stanking hot in there. Wooroi is fine cause theres a tap at the bottom.

DMan

Take a stack of water if you go to Parklands, no easily accessible water close by and it gets stanking hot in there. Wooroi is fine cause theres a tap at the bottom.
That's all good. We're used to not having access to any water other than what we carry.