QLD Sunshine Series - What do you want?

Stinky

Likes Dirt
I am hosting a round of the Sunshine Series at the Kadanga Track that the Trail Blazin Bors have built. I am looking to make a memorable event out of this so I need to know what you guys and gals are looking for from a race weekend.

What makes a good event for you outside of a good track and shuttles. Entry fees are fixed for the series so nothing can be done there.

Thanks for your input?

jimmy_

Likes Bikes
I am hosting a round of the Sunshine Series at the Kadanga Track that the Trail Blazin Bors have built. I am looking to make a memorable event out of this so I need to know what you guys and gals are looking for from a race weekend.

What makes a good event for you outside of a good track and shuttles. Entry fees are fixed for the series so nothing can be done there.

Thanks for your input?

shuttle turn around/organisation, would like to get a few more practice runs in before a race.

Perhaps a Saturday practice day.

bennylachlan

Likes Dirt
An absolute winner with riders would be the Saturday practice. While race entry fees maybe fixed, it would be possible to charge a separate Saturday fee to cover shuttle expenses.

Then offering camping if at all possible also seems to work well and has been well received at races such as Kenilworth 06 and Illinbah 05 state champs.

I think you may have to speak to MTBA regarding people having the required liscences for practice on Saturday but it definitely would be a winner.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Saturday practice is definately something we are looking at, particularly as it is a longer drive than normal. MTBA coverage would not be a problem, it would work the same as a race day. If you have a license you are good to go, if not you just buy a day licence.

Camping on site may not be possible, due to space requirements. I have also seen those camping sessions get pretty out of control (anyone remember the Mt Perry days, or the shuttle vehicles getting flogged and rolled in Mackay) I am not sure if that is a risk I am happy to take on. I will be talking the the tourist board and accomodation places to do deals for riders and supporters.

d_j1

Likes Dirt
I think you'll find the underlying trend will be shuttling/practice, in so far as as many runs in practice as possible. The important word to note here is POSSIBLE. The thing that annoys people that UNDERSTAND the logistics of getting 200+ riders up a hill as many times as possible, as quickly as possible, is probably lack of vehicles/transport. I know this is the hardest part in terms of securing drivers and vehicles, but if a large amount of effort is put into this I'm sure it'll satisfy most people. The others are just whinging little kids that don't get it. Other then that just the usual, good food, cold drinks (lots of red bull please!!) and maybe some music at the shuttle line to keep us entertained a bit better!

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pre-made number plates, with a higher cost for late entries like Coffs was.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A shuttle line with a defined entry and exit to prevent snaking is essential. SHADE for the shuttle line aswell as we spend heaps more time waiting than we do riding usually. Access to water would also be a bonus.

Some of those girls from indy?

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Looks like we are on the right track then. Pretty much everything that has been asked for is achievable and already being planned. With 15 years riding and 10 years in the events game I understand the need to keep people happy during down time.

current plans include;
a range of food and drink vendors, including good coffee
shade aplenty
solid crowd control in key areas (rather than bunting that can be snaked)
entertainment for kids and partners
a good shuttle system. still to be worked out dependant on road upgrades but obviously a high priority.
There are a few other things that I am working on as well, but need to confirm sponsorship and logistics before making it public.
Saturday practice is possible, however it would probalby be a higher cost than the regular open days, due to the increased shuttle / safety requirements that would enable it to be covered under MTBA.

Happy to take on board any further comments to make sure we have a great event.

fallboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sounding good man. One idea I always had that may be too hard/expensive at this point in time would be a camera feed to a big screen in the spectator point from some high action zone further up the track.

alpinestar12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks like we are on the right track then. Pretty much everything that has been asked for is achievable and already being planned. With 15 years riding and 10 years in the events game I understand the need to keep people happy during down time.

current plans include;
a range of food and drink vendors, including good coffee
shade aplenty
solid crowd control in key areas (rather than bunting that can be snaked)
entertainment for kids and partners
a good shuttle system. still to be worked out dependant on road upgrades but obviously a high priority.
There are a few other things that I am working on as well, but need to confirm sponsorship and logistics before making it public.
Saturday practice is possible, however it would probalby be a higher cost than the regular open days, due to the increased shuttle / safety requirements that would enable it to be covered under MTBA.

Happy to take on board any further comments to make sure we have a great event.
price wouldn't be a big concern for most riders wanting to do saturday practice, I would guess. At illinbah we paid $45 plus license to ride, shuttles provided.

big dan

Likes Dirt
Live commentary is always cool, remember when Pete Smith used to do it every race?

Plenty of space to set up easy up gazebos is a good thing too.

MadMatt

The MiniMan
All very good points indeed &

you should be commended for not only taking this on & putting this on, but also for asking the question---> Exccellent !!!!!!!!!!

My old mate Turley nailed a good answer tho,,, "WATER",,, lots of it,,, both at the top of track & bottom of track... & of course some of those Indy girls would be cool too :)

Both sat & sun practise avaliable is the way to go,,, & heaps of shuttles ready,,, "BUT"---> have them ready early, both days,,, it`s the biggest winge we hear at nearly every DH meeting is the lack of shuttles &/or lengthy shuttles. So having plenty there ready to go early is the key, so everyone has the opportunity to practise as much as possible.

Also that way everyone will be too tired & buggered to race & i`ll have a better chance with only my usual 3 practise runs :)

Oh & a hot band for saturday nite & sunday nite & maybe a decent lounge suite & bar area for me to relax would be pretty cool too :) with some of those Indy girls feeding me fruit & drinks & fanning me & ,,, oh,,,ok,,, maybe a bit too much yeah?

sikpuppyonglory

Likes Dirt
who the hell was singing campfire songs?

Saturday practice is definately something we are looking at, particularly as it is a longer drive than normal. MTBA coverage would not be a problem, it would work the same as a race day. If you have a license you are good to go, if not you just buy a day licence.

Camping on site may not be possible, due to space requirements. I have also seen those camping sessions get pretty out of control (anyone remember the Mt Perry days, or the shuttle vehicles getting flogged and rolled in Mackay) I am not sure if that is a risk I am happy to take on. I will be talking the the tourist board and accomodation places to do deals for riders and supporters.

certainly do old chap, first year I went there was fire jumping with about 400 people eitherside watching people singe eyebrows, arms & legs hair & the occasional pube or 2. was an absolute ball. then came the flaming toilet roll, nearly got kicked out for that, I'm a bit more mature now to what i was back then:p

ahh the good old days.