QR to 10MM conversion

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I want to fit a 10mm QR axle to my QR rear hub. The drop outs are 10mm and the internal diameter of the axle is 10mm too. So as far as I can see that stops me doing it is the locating lugs and the small 5mm holes in the "cones"?? in the picture.
Samsung 281.jpgSamsung 282.jpg

So if I cut off the lugs and carefully redrill the holes to 10mm that should be ok? That'll still screw on to the axles to hold the cassette in place and space the non drive side. I realise that I won't be able to go back to skewer QR but that's fine... Am I missing anything in my thinking?
I'd like some opinions

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
If you put the 10mm QR In the hub (without adapters) is there any play?
If there is, I'd be looking for adapters designed for a 10mm TA. If your drill out the QR adapters, all the weight will be loaded on the thin, maybe 1-2mm, bit of metal at each end of the adapters.

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They look like Hope end caps.......What brand is the hub?

If its Hope, you can get 10mm ends....

DMan

There doesn't appear to be any play if I slide the 10mm axle through. They're JetBlack hubs. So it should work in theory then?? They do look like the hope adapters I agree, but do the hopes thread into the hub like mine or just sit there??

Last edited:

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
I have never seen this been done with jetblack hubs. If there are definitely noadaprer cups available you will have to hack into these ones. if youre lucky, you will be able to tap the end rings out. Otherwise,drilling is the only way. I have watched a set of eastern end caps been done before and with some 1.5-2mm drill stepping, it was done fine and works to this day.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

DMan

I can't find any adapter so screw it I'll have a go. The 10mm axle seems a good fit so there shouldn't be any movement once it's done up.. He says now :loco:

DMan

All done. Nice and tight, no play. I'll test it tomorrow

DMan

All good. Rode on it this morning. Rear end feels stiffer to me but might be the placebo effect... Who cares. For $10 and a little drilling I love it.