Quality SPD compatible shoes in large sizes

Binaural

Eats Squid
So I've finally had to give up on Speedplay Zero pedals after breaking my fourth Aero walkable cleat during the first 6 months (not a joke). I commute every day in the inner city, so I need double sided entry and that means SPDs and new shoes to suit. Ideally I'd like stiff soles, preferably carbon as I'm prone to getting hot spots on longer rides.

The problem I have is size 51 feet in Sidi sizing and MTB shoe options in that size are thin as hell. After searching all the Australian and EU online I can think of, I've only been able to find a single Shimano option via Germany. Sidi in theory make one of their shoes in that size but nobody actually sells them. Does anyone have any tips on brands, outlets etc. I should try? Getting a bit desperate here.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Custom time! Check out Bont.

Seriously though you get used to single sided road pedals pretty quick. The key initially is to watch your foot until the nose of the cleat is in. I have some Look Keo Max you could try.

Other option is spd to spd-sl adapters and use your current road shoes.

Also the mega wide in Sidi tends to fit like the next size up. So a 50 mega Dominator should work.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
@Binaural :
if you are getting hotspots, that may be an issue that could be addressed with appropriate footbeds/insoles to provide the level of arch support necessary. Spesh do low, medium and High arch versions, and I think superfeet do some also. G8 have a slim bikeshoe fitting adjustable insole, but the Spesh ones will be much cheaper.

There are a few shoes in 51 and 52 here at Bike24 by the looks of it

Binaural

Eats Squid
Thanks guys!

@Oddjob, there's so much stop-start riding on paths in the inner CBD that they'd drive me nuts (I ran Look Keos for a year and disliked them for that reason, especially in the wet). The Sidi mega options aren't for me as I have really long, narrow feet.

@ForkinGreat
I hadn't checked Jensons, they don't have anything clipless in 51, but they do have the only 5-10s I've seen in size 50, they used to top out at 48.5. I bought some of those on the off chance they might fit but had to return because they were way too small. It might be worth another flutter because my flat riding shoes are heavy and slippery.

Bike24 has 46 options in size 50 and 4 in size 51, sigh. I recall some people saying Sidis are normally one size up from your regular, so some size 50s from other brands might fit in principle, but the Lakes, Giro, Northwaves etc. mostly say they fit small. The specialized looks exactly what I want, but only go up to size 49.

I'd really like to buy some more Sidis, but can't find anyone who sells the size 51 in any of the models they claim to make in that size. The only brand I can confirm that I can buy in size 51 seems to be Shimano.

ForkinGreat

Thanks guys!

@Oddjob, there's so much stop-start riding on paths in the inner CBD that they'd drive me nuts (I ran Look Keos for a year and disliked them for that reason, especially in the wet). The Sidi mega options aren't for me as I have really long, narrow feet.

@ForkinGreat
I hadn't checked Jensons, they don't have anything clipless in 51, but they do have the only 5-10s I've seen in size 50, they used to top out at 48.5. I bought some of those on the off chance they might fit but had to return because they were way too small. It might be worth another flutter because my flat riding shoes are heavy and slippery.

Bike24 has 46 options in size 50 and 4 in size 51, sigh. I recall some people saying Sidis are normally one size up from your regular, so some size 50s from other brands might fit in principle, but the Lakes, Giro, Northwaves etc. mostly say they fit small. The specialized looks exactly what I want, but only go up to size 49.

I'd really like to buy some more Sidis, but can't find anyone who sells the size 51 in any of the models they claim to make in that size. The only brand I can confirm that I can buy in size 51 seems to be Shimano.
Try contacting Sidi on their facebook page, both in 'Murica and head office in Italy. Worth a go.

Oddjob

Binaural

Eats Squid
Have emailed someone like Bike Components or Compotetive Cyclist about doing a special order for the Sidi 51?
I haven't yet. Last time I tried to get some shops around Sydney to order me a size 51 to try on, they basically said they weren't interested in helping. I eventually found a random pair of size 51s from TBSM, but they turned up as the previous model. When I complained, they were apologetic but also basically said they couldn't get newer models to exchange in that size, so I caved. Shoe shopping is not my favourite activity.

Sidi haven't answered any of my emails, but their distributor in the USA doesn't ship anywhere else despite having the size 51s on hand. I've emailed Pushys to see if they can help me out, will try others if that doesn't work. Thanks for the advice!

Oddjob

If thats the case get in touch with 365 cycles (info@365Cycles.com) and get them to ship to comgateway. 365 have free shipping in the states and comgateway has very reasonable freight prices to Aus.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

ForkinGreat

I haven't yet. Last time I tried to get some shops around Sydney to order me a size 51 to try on, they basically said they weren't interested in helping. I eventually found a random pair of size 51s from TBSM, but they turned up as the previous model. When I complained, they were apologetic but also basically said they couldn't get newer models to exchange in that size, so I caved. Shoe shopping is not my favourite activity.

Sidi haven't answered any of my emails, but their distributor in the USA doesn't ship anywhere else despite having the size 51s on hand. I've emailed Pushys to see if they can help me out, will try others if that doesn't work. Thanks for the advice!
Emails can be a bit useless, IMO. Many companies seem to tune them out. Contact Sidi on the Facebook page.

As Oddjob's suggestion above, or alternatively, To get them to Oz, use a forwarding service to buy them for you and ship them to Oz. it will cost more but you may have to suck it up.

Binaural

Eats Squid
As predicted by ForkinGreat, nobody's responded to the emails - sigh. Pulled out some old SPDs and shoes and rode to work on them this morning, really confirmed I need a carbon sole shoe if I am going to use them as I could feel the sole flexing and I had hot spot developing on one foot after only a few kilometers. No problems with stability or weight otherwise.

After reading Sidi's entire mtb shoe catalogue though, they only sell the Eagle 7 SR, which has a nylon sole (i.e would be no better than my old shoes), I am really in despair. The SH-M301 shoes are the other ones I can find, but they're also just plastic soles. Nobody else seems to do size 51 or above with carbon soles, not even one. Depressing.

So even though I really don't like single sided entry, the shoe situation is looking more and more like it's going to force me that way.

Oddjob

As predicted by ForkinGreat, nobody's responded to the emails - sigh. Pulled out some old SPDs and shoes and rode to work on them this morning, really confirmed I need a carbon sole shoe if I am going to use them as I could feel the sole flexing and I had hot spot developing on one foot after only a few kilometers. No problems with stability or weight otherwise.

After reading Sidi's entire mtb shoe catalogue though, they only sell the Eagle 7 SR, which has a nylon sole (i.e would be no better than my old shoes), I am really in despair. The SH-M301 shoes are the other ones I can find, but they're also just plastic soles. Nobody else seems to do size 51 or above with carbon soles, not even one. Depressing.

So even though I really don't like single sided entry, the shoe situation is looking more and more like it's going to force me that way.
Bont can make a custom carbon soled spd shoe in size 51. It will be pricey.

I have a Lake size 50 carbon soled mtb shoes you can try, that might fit.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

ForkinGreat

did you contact them by messaging them on their Facebook page?

Binaural

Eats Squid
My experiment with the SPDs has convinced me that these are a no go without carbon soled shoes to minimise hot spots, so I decided to compromise elsewhere and get single sided entry conventional road pedals (can live with annoyance, less so foot pain). My plan is to track-stand more and unclip less, so let's see how that goes. Thanks for your help guys!