Queenstown and Christchurch in May advice please

Hey guys, OP here.

After some further advice re where to ride. I've spoke to the Christchurch Adventure Park folks and they have advised the park is unlikely to be open by May.

Now I also see that the Queenstown bike park is going to be closed on 8 May, just before we are due to arrive. I'm quite bummed about these developments, I'd really been looking forward to some lazy chairlift mtbing on some nice trails.

So what are my other options in Christchurch and Queenstown? Vertigo Bikes in Queenstown offers shuttles of Rude Rock and Zoot tracks. Are these tracks likely to be open in May? Why do the Queenstown tracks close in May? Can anyone give me feedback on Vertigo Bikes?

Also are there any shuttle services in Christchurch?

Cheers guys.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Hey guys, OP here.

After some further advice re where to ride. I've spoke to the Christchurch Adventure Park folks and they have advised the park is unlikely to be open by May.

Now I also see that the Queenstown bike park is going to be closed on 8 May, just before we are due to arrive. I'm quite bummed about these developments, I'd really been looking forward to some lazy chairlift mtbing on some nice trails.

So what are my other options in Christchurch and Queenstown? Vertigo Bikes in Queenstown offers shuttles of Rude Rock and Zoot tracks. Are these tracks likely to be open in May? Why do the Queenstown tracks close in May? Can anyone give me feedback on Vertigo Bikes?

Also are there any shuttle services in Christchurch?

Cheers guys.
Bummer you'll miss the parks but there is still a shitload of riding to be had in Queenstown. Get a trail bike though, not a downhill.
Firstly, it starts snowing in April and settles in a lot of spots. Actually, I've been there for every season of the year and it's snowed every time so there's that. ;) Rude Rock should be okay to ride still and that'll blow your mind, it's the best trail to ride a lot of times. From that you can ride Zoot as well and if you're on a trail bike and the shuttle guy is a legend, you can veer off Rude Rock and do Pack Track. Actually, can I recommend that you contact Jono at Queenstown Bike Taxi's and get him to sort you a trip with a shuttle? They are bloody champions and will tailor a gig to suit you.
I heavily suggest you get a lift to 7 Mile and ride that network. It's bloody brilliant! It's a few short climbs to some incredible trails and if you know a few folks (ahem,..........me) that can let you know of some other's that will tickle your fancy close by to 7 mile.
If you have some legs about you, set aside a good few hours and ride up the access road in the bikepark and then start the climb that takes you to Beeched As, Fernhill loop and Salmon Run. Be advised though, it's lots of climbing and I suggest you look up Salmon Run as it's a legit double black. Fernhill is an awesome natural run though, that alone is worth the climb.
Don't be too bummed you'll miss the parks. You've got heaps of other riding there you can do and you should even be able to ride some of the bike park trails still if you ride to the trail heads. Check on that though, they may have a lot of the trails closed for the season.

Bummer you'll miss the parks but there is still a shitload of riding to be had in Queenstown. Get a trail bike though, not a downhill.
Firstly, it starts snowing in April and settles in a lot of spots. Actually, I've been there for every season of the year and it's snowed every time so there's that. ;) Rude Rock should be okay to ride still and that'll blow your mind, it's the best trail to ride a lot of times. From that you can ride Zoot as well and if you're on a trail bike and the shuttle guy is a legend, you can veer off Rude Rock and do Pack Track. Actually, can I recommend that you contact Jono at Queenstown Bike Taxi's and get him to sort you a trip with a shuttle? They are bloody champions and will tailor a gig to suit you.
I heavily suggest you get a lift to 7 Mile and ride that network. It's bloody brilliant! It's a few short climbs to some incredible trails and if you know a few folks (ahem,..........me) that can let you know of some other's that will tickle your fancy close by to 7 mile.
If you have some legs about you, set aside a good few hours and ride up the access road in the bikepark and then start the climb that takes you to Beeched As, Fernhill loop and Salmon Run. Be advised though, it's lots of climbing and I suggest you look up Salmon Run as it's a legit double black. Fernhill is an awesome natural run though, that alone is worth the climb.
Don't be too bummed you'll miss the parks. You've got heaps of other riding there you can do and you should even be able to ride some of the bike park trails still if you ride to the trail heads. Check on that though, they may have a lot of the trails closed for the season.
Cheers mate, brilliant advice. I'll definitely start looking into Rude Rock shuttles and bike hire/taxi to 7 mile bike park.

Does anyone else have info for Christchurch?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Cheers mate, brilliant advice. I'll definitely start looking into Rude Rock shuttles and bike hire/taxi to 7 mile bike park.
I forgot to add: Spend a day in Wanaka too, if you can stretch the budget and hire car and a bike over there and even stay a night, do it! It's bloody beautiful and you have an awesome trail at Deans Bank and the awesome trails of Sticky Forest. One bike will do all those trails and I highly recommend seeing the legends at Outside Sports in Wanaka to get you on a hire bike. ;)

I forgot to add: Spend a day in Wanaka too, if you can stretch the budget and hire car and a bike over there and even stay a night, do it! It's bloody beautiful and you have an awesome trail at Deans Bank and the awesome trails of Sticky Forest. One bike will do all those trails and I highly recommend seeing the legends at Outside Sports in Wanaka to get you on a hire bike. ;)
We will be spending a couple of days in Wanaka so will look to grab a bike from Outside Sports.

Z

Zaf

What tyres are you guys running for down there? Does it get slick with some rain or bed in a bit?

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro using Tapatalk

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
What tyres are you guys running for down there? Does it get slick with some rain or bed in a bit?
I'm pretty sure when they were designing a Maxxis Minion they made it specifically suit Queenstown conditions. ;) Honestly, that tyre kills it there in dry and dusty hardpack stuff through to the damp tacky stuff. Mind you, the Schwalbe's Magic Mary's I've run there have been awesome too but the Nobby Nic on a trail bike is a bit twitchy.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I'm pretty sure when they were designing a Maxxis Minion they made it specifically suit Queenstown conditions. ;) Honestly, that tyre kills it there in dry and dusty hardpack stuff through to the damp tacky stuff. Mind you, the Schwalbe's Magic Mary's I've run there have been awesome too but the Nobby Nic on a trail bike is a bit twitchy.
+1 for Minion DHF WTs or MMs up front for most NZ conditions, on the rear the win goes to the Aggressor, DHF or DHR. If it was really wet a Shorty might be the go, but on the steep, rooty trails you're going to be on your ass no matter what!

Z

Zaf

Too easy, I pretty much run Maxxis DHF/DHR for all round conditions anyway, jsut wondering if I'm gonna spend long days in the saddle if switching over to an SS would be worthwhile or not, the DHR can be a bit of an anchor otherwise, especially on pedal-ups.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Too easy, I pretty much run Maxxis DHF/DHR for all round conditions anyway, jsut wondering if I'm gonna spend long days in the saddle if switching over to an SS would be worthwhile or not, the DHR can be a bit of an anchor otherwise, especially on pedal-ups.
The side-effect of schlepping a DHR is that you get fitter! Definitely not an SS for NZ, it would be positively hazardous on the steep, straight-line stuff. My compromise was the Aggressor DD, which was a great tyre right through my NZ trip, but then slashed it on a rock first ride back...

Did you see my post about Nelson? It's an absolute mecca at the moment and there are shuttles to be had. Only 4 hours from ChCh, although traffic more like Australia since the earthquake has annihilated one of the 2 main roads up there.

Z

Zaf

Yeah, I'll be getting up there without a doubt. Might even book a guided tour with Sven and Anka.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Yeah, I'll be getting up there without a doubt. Might even book a guided tour with Sven and Anka.

Are you a Strava guy? Would like to vicariously follow your rides when you're over there. Two Nelson 'must-do' rides are "629" and "Peking Ridge".

Z

Zaf

Are you a Strava guy? Would like to vicariously follow your rides when you're over there. Two Nelson 'must-do' rides are "629" and "Peking Ridge".
Yeah, strava guy! I'll shoot you a PM with my deets, think the girlfriend might be in for a shock about how little she'll get to see me this trip.

Robb

Likes Dirt
Timely thread.
Finishing up my job this week and will have 3 weeks before the new gig starts. I'm still got some uni coursework though, so can't spend the whole time riding bikes...

So was thinking of a quick trip to NZ, somewhere between 6-10 days. Leaving next week!
Anyone got some tips on what to look for (besides searching through here), where to stay etc.

For context I ride a Yeti SB95 that I'll bring with me. For fitness / riding style, I'm happy to ride up and down, ideally in the range of 40 - 50km a day, 1000-1500m vertical. I'll be following up on Dozer's comments on where to ride, just after how much time I should be looking at staying in various areas, and if in 10 days would be enough to cover the south as well as a trip up to Rotorua

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Timely thread.
Finishing up my job this week and will have 3 weeks before the new gig starts. I'm still got some uni coursework though, so can't spend the whole time riding bikes...

So was thinking of a quick trip to NZ, somewhere between 6-10 days. Leaving next week!
Anyone got some tips on what to look for (besides searching through here), where to stay etc.

For context I ride a Yeti SB95 that I'll bring with me. For fitness / riding style, I'm happy to ride up and down, ideally in the range of 40 - 50km a day, 1000-1500m vertical. I'll be following up on Dozer's comments on where to ride, just after how much time I should be looking at staying in various areas, and if in 10 days would be enough to cover the south as well as a trip up to Rotorua
Hmmm, this time of year is tricky. For the south island side of things; Cardrona is closed so it's all trail riding in Wanaka so I'd sggest Deans Bank and Sticky Forest. You can spend a whole day riding both but you'd cover it all pretty quickly. It's an hour from Queenstown so that's that.
As for Queenstown, the snow hasn't started so all trails will be running but the daylight hours are shorter. The bike park is closed at 5pm and most of the other shuttle services will be over by then. Still, you'll have a ton of riding to do but four or five days in those two areas would be heaps if your on a time limit.
I haven't done Rotorua but know there is a lot more trail riding there so I suggest half and half and if you can fly between Queenstown and Rotorua, go for it!
There are a few epic rides on the south island. There's the Old Ghost Road track which I hear is full on but mostly an awesome experience and there's the Rail Trail from just west of Dunedin back to Otago. I plan to do that in the coming years, it looks pretty simple but would be a good couple of days of mindless cruising time on your bike in some country places.
Ah actually, there's riding in Alexandra too, that's sort of in the Queenstown area. Check that for sure!