Queenstown DH bike hire

Shredden

Knows his goats
Hey guys,

I am heading over to NZ for a holiday with the family in about a month, and we are going to be in Queenstown for a few days. I am hoping to hire a DH bike for a day or two.

Just wondering if you guys can help me out with someplace to hire a decent bike? I seem to remember when I was there last time (with my own bike), there was a place hiring Demo 8's, but I cant seem to find them online. All there seems to be online is Glory 2's, base spec Entourages etc, and I'd probably rather spend the money on a few runs of the Luge haha.

Thanks in advance for some local knowledge.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

I am heading over to NZ for a holiday with the family in about a month, and we are going to be in Queenstown for a few days. I am hoping to hire a DH bike for a day or two.

Just wondering if you guys can help me out with someplace to hire a decent bike? I seem to remember when I was there last time (with my own bike), there was a place hiring Demo 8's, but I cant seem to find them online. All there seems to be online is Glory 2's, base spec Entourages etc, and I'd probably rather spend the money on a few runs of the Luge haha.

Thanks in advance for some local knowledge.
Scroll down here http://www.queenstownbikepark.co.nz/bike_rentals.html

PS4

Likes Bikes
I was there in December just gone and hired a Demo 8 from Outside Sports. The bike was perfect and I did not have any problems with it at all.

You can book it from their store in town and you just pick it up from their outlet/repair shop on the walk up to the Gondola on the day of your ride.

I believe they only had 1 bike in each size though, so it might pay to book it early. I was there for a week and managed to just book it a couple of days ahead.

Factor into the rental cost $8-10 for insurance as well. From memory it covers you for the first $1000 or so in damage if you crash it.

All the hire places seem to include FF Helmet and armour etc in the hire, but I took all my own gear so I cant comment on the helmets etc.

captaintumeke

Likes Bikes
+1 for outside sports, but book it in. Same with the Demo 8's at Ride (they only have 2 or 3).

The Status bikes from Ride are awesome as well and shouldn't be overlooked, but take an allen key to do a quick bike check before heading down hill.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Outside Sports have Demo's for hire that you collect from the Ride centre which is on Brecon Steet just below the Gondola. Make sure you book in advance as it is hard some days to get a Demo. They have Status for a few bucks less too. Keep in mind they won't hire you a trail bike to use in the park, they don't allow it. Outside Sports have a thing where you can pay an extra $9 for total insurance on the bike which means it's covered if you damage it. The basic hire doesn't include coverage so anything you bend or break means you pay for the part.
You can get a Glory from Vertigo Bikes which are in town at the bottom of the stairs on Brecon St. Opposite them is Alta who do some sweet Mondraker's for hire too.

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
On further investigation... Looks like I might get to punch some runs on a DHR, which I have been wanting to do for a looong time. Thanks man.

http://www.bikingqueenstown.com/Rentals/Demo_Bikes.htm
I thought this I would do it as well when I went in October, they only rent statuses and demos. I asked the guy in the store about it and he said it is just an old website. I rented a status and and enjoyed that although it was fairly expensive. I also rented a glory (2?) And absolutely hated it.

bmx

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went there a couple years back and there were just downhill bikes outside of shops for hire.

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
I went there a couple years back and there were just downhill bikes outside of shops for hire.
This is true as well, when i was there it was mostly glorys and voltages out front of places, with one store with specialized demos and status'. I have heard there is one store with a few Mondraker summums(spelling?).

I thought this I would do it as well when I went in October, they only rent statuses and demos. I asked the guy in the store about it and he said it is just an old website. I rented a status and and enjoyed that although it was fairly expensive. I also rented a glory (2?) And absolutely hated it.
Also just to clear up my last post, the bike was horrible because the brakes we not up to the task of the bike park and weren't working properly, suspension was super stiff and un-adjustable(problems of being tall and skinny i suppose) and it was heavy as. I normally like glory's (i have one) but i did not enjoy this one. And i wont name the shop that i rented the glory from that insited the brakes were fine(even though they didn't stop)

Last edited: