Question for the tech spec nerds

Shredden

Knows his goats
I've got an e*13 crankset on my DH bike. It's a few years old, like the one in the article below - it has a 30mm spindle which is the source of my issues:

http://www.downhillnews.com/reviews/2012/3/23/e-thirteen-lg1-crank-review.html

The BB is farked - and a new e*13 one to suit aforementioned 30mm spindle looks like its $100+ (another tick for Shimano, and their $20 Deore BBs that fit all their other cranks too :rolleyes:)

Do we think I'd be alright to use one of these? I know it's probably not got the best bearings but a) I don't really mind and b) Its just temporary for the next 14 years until I can afford Chris King. It says it suits 30mm spindle obviously but doesn't mention E13 cranks - are they different somehow?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pair-BS...h=item3d69ec946c:g:1tkAAOSwEARbI4FQ:rk:5:pf:0

Cheers everyone :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Lecture on personal safety goes here.

Lecture on not being a tight arse and blowing the coins on a shimano set up.

Lecture on being guided by opinionated dicks.

Live large! Let us know how it works out, either way.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Theo, I have an E13 on the Muru and the brgs were very crunchy from beach riding and too much water and I was able to get replacement bearings at a bearing shop. Maybe $40 all up, easy to change.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
They should just be 6806 bearings which measure 30mm inside, 42mm outside and 7mm thick.
The Raceface cinch bsa30 bb will also fit. They are about $50 each.
The bb you posted should also do the job.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
They should just be 6806 bearings which measure 30mm inside, 42mm outside and 7mm thick.
The Raceface cinch bsa30 bb will also fit. They are about $50 each.
The bb you posted should also do the job.
But the raceface bearings are soooo bad. Better to get good bearings and that Hope tool.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Shredden

Knows his goats
Theo, I have an E13 on the Muru and the brgs were very crunchy from beach riding and too much water and I was able to get replacement bearings at a bearing shop. Maybe $40 all up, easy to change.
Thanks for that, think I'll do that.

I remembered that I was going to do it before I went to NZ in Feb but didn't do it for some reason - I had it stuck in my mind that they were a non-standard size, but now I think about it, it's more likely that I was rebuilding the bike at the last minute and didn't have time to get to a bearing shop haha.

@ozzybmx thank you for the bearing size, I'll pop the cap off and confirm that then grab some.

@Oddjob cheers for the recommendation on the Hope tool, I've already got a set of bearing drivers from working on the moto so I should be able to work it out with stuff I've already got.

Oddjob

@Oddjob cheers for the recommendation on the Hope tool, I've already got a set of bearing drivers from working on the moto so I should be able to work it out with stuff I've already got.
The problem is often fixing the bb cup in place and having enough space to drive the bearing out.

If you're brave you can just leave the bb in place on the frame and use a 1 1/8 headset remover to drive the bearings out and a headset press or 30mm bearing driver to drive them in.

Another option is a 3 jaw bearing puller.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
So glad someone asked this. I am using e13 cranks and the bearing are terrible. I'll grab the hope tool and some good bearing!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Bearings popped out easily for me, just used a brass drift by hand. New bearings pushed in easily too. The bigarse bb on the fatbike may well be different though.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
But the raceface bearings are soooo bad. Better to get good bearings and that Hope tool.
Yep, not great, but ok for an occasional rider eg Fatbike.

I have even carried a Raceface spare and given it to a mate whos E13 buggered up, so I'm thinking E13 must be a little bit worse.

I picked up another spare bsa30 BB from Token for $9 so have another set of spare bearings here.

Oddjob

Yep, not great, but ok for an occasional rider eg Fatbike.

I have even carried a Raceface spare and given it to a mate whos E13 buggered up, so I'm thinking E13 must be a little bit worse.

I picked up another spare bsa30 BB from Token for $9 so have another set of spare bearings here.
Token is good so $9 is a steal! Where did you get that from?