Quick dropper post poll

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I was so close to having a crack at the Brand X, there can't be that many people being paid to lie by CRC for reviews, right? :)

In the end, still having to send it back to CRC for warranty was a deal breaker, even with the lower initial price factored in. Very keen to hear how others go with it though.

Bought a Revive.

Will post my thoughts once it arrives.

Ich liebe Taiwan.

Grant.
Nice. Hopefully a review to come!

What size did you end up getting?

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I was so close to having a crack at the Brand X, there can't be that many people being paid to lie by CRC for reviews, right? :)

In the end, still having to send it back to CRC for warranty was a deal breaker, even with the lower initial price factored in. Very keen to hear how others go with it though.

Bought a Revive.

Ich liebe Taiwan.

Grant.
Awesome.
Looking forward to initial ride report...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice. Hopefully a review to come!

What size did you end up getting?
Went with the 125. I’m not very tall, 160 would be way too much for.

If they had a 140 it would be the ideal length for me.

Will definitely review. For reference, I’ve owned these posts, LEV, e-ten, Reverb A2 & B1, Thomson and have ridden the Giant and Spesh command post.

Cheers.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Bought a Revive.

Ich liebe Taiwan.

Grant.
I just pulled off a Brand X Ascend that has been operating perfectly for a year and has no play or anything like that, BUT when cleaning it up to sell I noticed the anodising was starting to wear on the back of the post so I am not sure what is going on there. I found one other report of the same.
Contacted CRC and they want the post back, which would be a PITA, except that I now have a LEV and someone else bought the post, with faults fully disclosed. CRC did say that if I bought a new post first and then sent the faulty one back then they would refund the faulty one when received.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bit late but for other readers, I bought a bontranger dropline 125mm few months ago. Got it for $280 with 3 years local warranty.. No issues so far, a touch more side to side than my previous ks lev but eaiser to install and comes with the underbar trigger lever as standard. It goes up and down as it should, long term reviews seem promising and if it shits itself back to the Trek store for another. It is easy to pull apart, had a look inside so servicing is easy. Only thing I have done is put slick grease under the collar as I did with ks lev.

mshagg

Likes Bikes
Fox transfer was lovely when working but 4 weeks since it got sent off for warranty repair and no indication when I might have it back.

So will be going back to another giant branded dropper like the one that I foolishly replaced with the fox. Two bolt clamp, under 300 bucks, compatible with the wolftooth remote, local shop support. They've performed flawlessly on the last 2 bikes I've had them on. Understandable it might not be suitable for a different brand of bike lol, but the posts are underrated imo.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Fox transfer was lovely when working but 4 weeks since it got sent off for warranty repair and no indication when I might have it back.
What were the symptoms?
Are you hard on your gear?...or just a normal punter?

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Howdy team

Revive arrived today. As always, Mountain Bikes Direct smashed the shipping efficiency out of the park!

I don't have a great deal to add to the thoughts of others on here.

Packaging is neat, really classy and unique, but also meets the needs of keeping all the bits safe.

The instructions are on the money. Really clear, really simple, absolute no brainer. Installation was a breeze, all done in just over 30 mins, and that was taking my time to triple check the cable length. Really easy.

Needed a 'Revive' out of the box, but once done it was rock solid.

Finish of the post looks really high quality, but the seatpost did scratch very easily on insertion in to the seat tube, meh....

Action is stupid smooth and fast, but without being ball bashingly, castratingly aggressive. Love the subtle thud on full extension.

Very small amount of rotational movement, but perfectly acceptable, much less than others, but a little more than some.

First impressions are extremely positive, but the long term reliability will be the big test for me.

Happy to answer questions.

Pics for your viewing pleasure:

Last edited:

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have the dilemma of seatpost choice for a steel hard tail I'm building. I have Revive's on both my other bikes and as this bike was meant to be a budget build, I was considering the brand X 160mm dropper. Ï've read the reviews and I know they're mostly positive but i'll be kicking myself if it plays up and I have to send it back to the UK. But then I tell myself "budget build, budget build" and I start thinking about the $240 vs $460 price tag. Oh I'm so torn...! :decision:

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have the dilemma of seatpost choice for a steel hard tail I'm building. I have Revive's on both my other bikes and as this bike was meant to be a budget build, I was considering the brand X 160mm dropper. Ï've read the reviews and I know they're mostly positive but i'll be kicking myself if it plays up and I have to send it back to the UK. But then I tell myself "budget build, budget build" and I start thinking about the $240 vs $460 price tag. Oh I'm so torn...! :decision:
For a budget, i assume minimal fuss, steel hardtail why wouldn't you just go a rigid post? Less stuffing around, just a bike you grab and ride without thinking about much else. I recently built up an old 26 hardtail and it's surprising how quickly you can re-learn the ass behind saddle position. It's not something you want to be doing if your local trails are steep though. Just an idea.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For a budget, i assume minimal fuss, steel hardtail why wouldn't you just go a rigid post? Less stuffing around, just a bike you grab and ride without thinking about much else. I recently built up an old 26 hardtail and it's surprising how quickly you can re-learn the ass behind saddle position. It's not something you want to be doing if your local trails are steep though. Just an idea.
probably the only budget conscious purchase i've made was the frame. Oh and the fork is down a notch from a pike to a yari!

A fixed post with flats... hmmm, no thankyou!

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I reckon you should go the Brand-X.
So much of human perception about "brands" & "quality" is false.
...or at least disproportionate to the price differences.
The Brand-X will suit the original spirit of the bike and you're protected by CRC's generally excellent warranty/returns behaviour. And when the post outperforms your low expectations, you'll be extra stoked. The extra $$ saved might provide better tyres, or better brakes...or more beer!!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I reckon you should go the Brand-X.
So much of human perception about "brands" & "quality" is false.
...or at least disproportionate to the price differences.
The Brand-X will suit the original spirit of the bike and you're protected by CRC's generally excellent warranty/returns behaviour. And when the post outperforms your low expectations, you'll be extra stoked. The extra $$ saved might provide better tyres, or better brakes...or more beer!!

Just received a brand X for the wife's bike yesterday. Give it's only been ridden up and down the road so far it's hard to give a real review on it, but I doubt I'd lash out double the money for a bigger brand in future.

Compared to my 2 ks Lev dx droppers:
*It's just as easy to install
*It has no more rotational movement
*The collar cap seems a bit more robust
*It makes a nice quiet thud when extended instead of a clunk
*The lever isn't as nice
*It costs literally half the money
*The collar clamp model is only 120mm

Unless the length is a deal-breaker, these things seem like a winner at first glance!

Sent from my Xperia Z3C using Tapatalk