Quick question. Are Sram and Shimano 10sp derailleurs and shifters cross compatible?

dh.demon

Likes Dirt
As per the title, are Sram and Shimano 10sp derailleur and shifters cross compatible? I'm having a debate with a fellow rider....
I know 9sp sram shifter and 9 speed cassette will work with a 10sp chain and 10sp shimano derailleur - thanks to Moorey i run it on my DH bike.

But I'm certain both 10sp of either brand, either shifter or derailleur are not compatible.

If im wrong, can someone please share a picture and how well it works and ease to setup...

Thanks in advance

moorey

call me Mia
I bet there are possible hacks for the engineering geniuses amongst us...but I've never heard of one.
Are you trying to go full 10sp on a budget?

Jeeves

Likes Bikes
SRAM did make a Shimano compatible shifter set called Attack, was 3x9 from memory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The pull ratio is different, which is the distance the cable is pulled by a Sram or Shimano shifter and the distance the derailleur moves due to the leverage arm length on the derailleur.

Been the victim a few times even with some awesome internet advice.

You might jam it... but it could cost $ and time if you dont.

Cassettes and chains swap without issues.

dh.demon

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys. Not any conversion at this time. He just believes he was running a 10sp Sram shifter with a 10sp Shimano derailleur. From the responses it seems i was right.

9 speed Sram shifter and cassette with 10 speed chain and Zee derailleur works a treat though on the DH bike.

Running X0 10 speed shifter with shortcage X9 clutch 10 speed derailleur on the trail bike and 11-36t cassette is good also. Prefer the no on/off lever of the clutch IMO.

Not sure if i would gain anything going to a Saint 10sp mech on the rear on the DH bike apart from the empty wallet? Zee seems great value for money but I'll decide closer to the time when it needs replacing.

Thanks again everyone!