Race face deux CX cranks.

ozgti

Likes Dirt
What are the general opinions with these cranks? Good bad indifferent? Or should I wait and save up for an Xt groupset?

Or Deore?

Are there any other options out there?

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Without being aware of the exact specifications, Raceface cranks usually involve more messing around to remove. Shimano Hollowtech only need 2 allen head bolts to be loosened to remove the crankset.

I usually run XT for this reason, as well as them being light and strong.

redbruce

Eats Squid
What are the general opinions with these cranks? Good bad indifferent? Or should I wait and save up for an Xt groupset?

Or Deore?

Are there any other options out there?
Race face have a long history of early bearing failures. It seems they supply the lowest quality bearings as OEM.

Once they are replaced they are fine. Add that cost in and you can buy an XT set up front.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Race face have a long history of early bearing failures. It seems they supply the lowest quality bearings as OEM.

Once they are replaced they are fine. Add that cost in and you can buy an XT set up front.
RaceFace did earn a bad rep for their BB bearings. They have improved and I have been running Race Face cranks/BB (Deus and now Turbine) for close to 3 years, easy to install/remove and not had any issues with the bearings. They have a new install system, one big bolt that ties the whole lot together. Easy!

Also had XT, can't go wrong with either.

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
On my most recent build I've got 3 ring RaceFace Deus XC cranks, and they were by far the easiest thing to install on the bike.

Winno seems to love his RaceFace as well if you hunt down his bikes in the Post Your Ride section.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
XT are easier to set up, but of my three MTBs, I'm running Deus XC cranks on all of them!

Aesthetics won the day for me.